Fall 2010 Admission Results

So what is this about Columbia? They get like 600 applicants for the political science programs alone, so I doubt that they take the time to update everyone's statuses and answer every email they get.

But natofone, do you think it is wrong for them to tell applicants to call up people who they know have no clue what is going on. Further, do you think it is wrong for them to, as in someoneouthere's case, apparently review applications and make decisions before all the files are present and accounted for.

And here you are, making excuses. What the program did was perfectly fine. Like the 1942 Japanese American internment was "fine", because it was legal. Like the relocation of the Cherokee. Like Jim Crow. You should take a moral stance against this dereliction.

So I am expecting to hear back from USC this week. From reading other posts and noticing the acceptance timelines of others, should I assume rejection? I noticed all POIR acceptances so far were via email at the end of Feb, however, there were only a small number.I'm DESPERATELY hoping that this was a first wave of admissions. There were people also rejected via email and I have not received an email. Do grad schools ever accept through mail?

Me, too! They claim they don't send official acceptance/rejection e-mails. There is also this website where you can check your application status https://camel2.usc.e.../IOL/login.aspx (Mine says "

We are unable to process the status of your application at this time." - so I assume at least I am not rejected). Let's see whether no news is good news or not.

Me, too! They claim they don't send official acceptance/rejection e-mails. There is also this website where you can check your application status https://camel2.usc.e.../IOL/login.aspx (Mine says "

We are unable to process the status of your application at this time." - so I assume at least I am not rejected). Let's see whether no news is good news or not.

i called alex venegas at USC on monday and asked him if they are sending out any more decisions. he replied "very shortly, possibly this week." let's keep fingers crossed.

also, does anyone have any info on JHU? there are some postings in the results page, most of which are theory subfields. i'm comparative and yet to hear anything from them.

I just sent a long email to Associate Director of Admissions at Columbia letting her know how 'disappointed' I was with their admissions process and their lack of consideration for applicants.

Good on you. You made it further than me. I fired off a number of (admittedly angry) calls, demanding a refund of my application fee for the mistreatment/lack of communication I've received. So far, they are not budging. I am starting to suspect that this is a racket on par with penny auctions.

Bizarre rejection from a SEC school I applied to:

"Dear Keller,

Thank you for applying to the department of political science at X. I regret to inform you that you have been discarded. We received many qualified competitors for only a few slots. I wish you the best of luck in your future studies."

Discarded? Like a book?

"Dear Keller,

Thank you for applying to the department of political science at X. I regret to inform you that you have been discarded. We received many qualified competitors for only a few slots. I wish you the best of luck in your future studies."

Discarded? Like a book?

I'm sorry if this comes off wrong, but your rejection gave me the biggest laugh I've had today. These schools have been around for a while. What is wrong with their admissions offices? After all these years they still don't know what they're doing or at least how to write.

Keller,

I have to admit, I laughed too. But only because I have received a couple of awkward responses over this process and understand where you are coming from!

It seems like an ESL person wrote it. Probably didn't understand that "discarded" wasn't an appropriate way to address the situation.

Interesting... Mine says "We are currently reviewing your application."

"Dear Keller,

Discarded? Like a book?

beautiful

i called alex venegas at USC on monday and asked him if they are sending out any more decisions. he replied "very shortly, possibly this week." let's keep fingers crossed.

Kesk13 - Way to go! And thanks for the update! USC's decision has been plaguing me.

columbia has always been that way. i applied to their master's in '08, they contacted me on 4/14 to tell me i'm waitlisted. i had another funded offer; yet it still was very frustrating. guess being an ivy and a top 5 school you can get away with stuff like that.