Fall 2010 Admission Results

I just got off the phone with the DGS at Illinois hoping they'd put me out of my misery, but instead just said the committee was "still in the process" and it would be a few more weeks before it's complete. So, here's to some more weeks of neuroticism for me (though, I've already started planning my fulbright scholarship for 2011-2012) :lol:

the funding on the Harvard post is lower than last year's....

Not necessarily. It is actually higher, but doesn't mention anything about summer funding.

It'd be nice if someone who got in posted something, but it could easily be true. I mean, I saw that one of the lurkers has a UC-Berkeley acceptance in his/her signature, so even those might have been accurate!

Edited by polisciFTW

Ok, these Harvard posts are driving me freakin crazy. If this is fake, damn that person/those people posting them. If this is real, well, I guess I'm not in.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Rejects last year got a letter by post a week later.

I did it. I took the plunge. I sent Thom an email. We'll see what happens.

Thank you thank you! Be sure to keep us updated...

and PolisciFTW....someone had a berkeley acceptance in their sig? I really hope those results weren't true- considering they were posted when the offices were closed. This whole process is definitely frustrating. I wonder if all this information regarding admissions hurts more than it helps.

a tip from anonymous source who has insider info about UNC:

The admissions committee is meeting today, so decisions should be out fairly soon (in a matter of days if I had to guess). They tend to use email to notify those accepted. The goal is to have an incoming cohort of 12-14, which is normal as far as size. Last year there were only 10 (b/c of the budget cuts) but before that the classes have always been between 12 and 14. Funding is for 5 years. I haven't found out about the amount yet.

Visitation weekend is scheduled for March 19-20th. The department in the past has reimbursed accepted grad students for their flights, arranges airport pick-ups, you stay with a current graduate student, and most of your lunches and dinners are paid for by the department. It's a pretty fun weekend where you get to interact a lot with grad students, have meetings with faculty members and see Chapel Hill.

I don't quite understand this. I received a letter from the graduate school over a week ago saying I'd been admitted. How could that be if the poli sci admissions committee hasn't even met yet? That would mean they haven't made decisions yet. Others have also received letters. How could they be accepted to graduate school and not the program?

From dear ole Thom:

We hope to have decisions available no later than March 1, but sooner if possible.

That's it. zippo. Those bastards posted fake results. Stop feeding the trolls.

Woohoo! Thanks for emailing him...

I just received an official letter through email from OSU confirming my acceptance. It said they wouldn't make official funding decisions until mid-March but that "with this offer of admission we are committed to providing you a very competitive five year package of tuition and

stipend support." I also think they messed up when sending the emails because I got what looks to be the letters for all admitted students (39 of them). All the letters are identical but names and addresses of admitted students appear.

I'm only the messenger, so I don't know! Typically, people are given offers from the department and then the graduate school does a nominal approval of the offer. I've never heard of it going the other way around.

That's how I assumed the process went as well. I think I'll email the department and see what's what.

To update interested people on the UNC situation, cpaige seems to have been both right and wrong. I emailed the department and got this response:

"We actually had our first meeting two weeks ago and admitted just 6 students, you being one of them. Congratulations! We will meet again today and admit some more.

Someone from our Admissions Committee should be in touch with you soon to discuss particulars. You will receive a letter from the department also with more details regarding funding, etc."

Apparently they're doing two rounds of admissions, so people who have yet to hear back are still in the running.

I personally have no insider information; I was just the messenger. But it's good to hear that that's what the situation is.

Thanks for relaying the information you have. It just made me a bit paranoid (this whole process seems to be doing that). I had nightmares of being accidentally sent an admissions letter when I was actually rejected. I'm glad it's cleared up.

Thanks for that tip! I'm really looking forward to hearing from Columbia ... it's an amazing program and it'll mean I can finally get back to my NYC!

Any word on the prospects for comp politics ppl there? Is it going to be a big subfield for them in this year's cohort?

No problem, no word on the cohort size, or any info on the number of applications. Just an expected time line for acceptance notifications. :)

I did it. I took the plunge. I sent Thom an email. We'll see what happens.

I was about to offer to do it, since I'm not applying to Harvard and I hate seeing you all so tormented. I know how nervous I am having heard basically nothing from any of my programs - I can't imagine how much more nervous I'd feel if there were dubious posts going up about programs I'd applied to. If someone's pranking, not cool.

By the way, mega congrats to all who have been accepted. I've gotten behind in helping to celebrate here since I've had no admission results or news for this thread, but hopefully that changes soon!

Edited by rwfan88