Fall 2010 Admission Results

Berkeley acceptances are out. Proud to claim the first one on the results board! It was a nice surprise this early in the morning... it's on 6:30 on the west coast. Makes going to my crappy job just a little easier today. Good luck to everyone else.

Congrats! What a great start to a morning!

Yeah, I would tend to agree with this. Seems very bizarre. Why don't you just talk to your professors? Surely they will be able to tell you what happened?

I did my undergrad in the UK as well and I am not aware of a general policy/attitude that discourages students to stay at their undergrad institution, but it might very much depend on individual faculty members.

I applied to LSE as well - what was your course?

Yeah it is v weird - even stranger is that I was encouraged to apply BY one of the professors who gave me a reference and is head of some parts of the course. He said to me that I would definitely get an offer from the LSE and that I should use it as a reason to go for broke with other colleges because I would always know that I'd have the LSE to fall back on! So it's very frustrating that they've now said no. I've sent him an email hoping to get some sort of an answer but it's three hours before the close of business over here and I'm still waiting for a reply... Arg!

I was applying to the MRes/PhD in Political Science. How about you?

To those who were accepted at Berkeley, did you receive an email? I haven't gotten one yet so I'm wondering if that's a bad sign. I checked my status online but it hasn't been updated since Feb. 4.

Congrats to those who've been accepted!

Was it a departmental email or an email from the head of a subfield? I am guessing the fact that it was sent at 6:30am PT means it was a mass email, so probably a bad sign for those (including me) who didn't hear? UCB was my top choice, so shitty way to start the day.

Edited by Tan

Yeah it is v weird - even stranger is that I was encouraged to apply BY one of the professors who gave me a reference and is head of some parts of the course. He said to me that I would definitely get an offer from the LSE and that I should use it as a reason to go for broke with other colleges because I would always know that I'd have the LSE to fall back on! So it's very frustrating that they've now said no. I've sent him an email hoping to get some sort of an answer but it's three hours before the close of business over here and I'm still waiting for a reply... Arg!

I was applying to the MRes/PhD in Political Science. How about you?

I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out the way you planned. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I really understand how you feel, because I went for the same strategy - I was told I had a (more or less) guaranteed place at my undergrad institution, so I only applied for schools I would definitely choose over it. I must be very frustrating to have your safety choice behave like this.

I am in Europe myself right now... very unnerving to have to wait until the afternoon to get news, right?

But with your undergrad record, I am sure you will get some other school in the States. What is your concentration?

And btw, where are you from? v. German name..

Congrats to those who've been accepted!

Was it a departmental email or an email from the head of a subfield? I am guessing the fact that it was sent at 6:30am PT means it was a mass email, so probably a bad sign for those (including me) who didn't hear? UCB was my top choice, so shitty way to start the day.

I figured the same thing, I just wanted to hold out hope a bit longer that they'd be sending out more acceptances. Berkeley was also one of my top choices.

I am guessing the fact that it was sent at 6:30am PT means it was a mass email, so probably a bad sign for those (including me) who didn't hear? UCB was my top choice, so shitty way to start the day.

Maybe, but last year they took two days to notify all acceptances. Congrats to those that got in, and good luck to those still waiting!

Go Berkeley people! Great school!

Yes. My absolute favorite. I really hope theyĀ“re just playing with some of us until tomorrow...

Actually, SuddenlyParanoid, itĀ“s a good sign you havenĀ“t heard from them yet, because they are going to admit you for sure, and will certainly do so tomorrow...or am I dreaming?

Edited by nervouscomparativist

All this waiting..arrgh... and the Berkeley news (Big congrats to those who got in!) has sent me over the edge!

In my dismay I emailed Michigan to see if they could check my status, this was their reply:

We are not quite done with admissions decisions. We hope to have them completed within the next week.

I also emailed Northwestern and will update if I get anything back from them.

(Subfield: Comparative)

Edited by sunseeker

All this waiting..arrgh... and the Berkeley news (Big congrats to those who got in!) has sent me over the edge!... I also emailed Northwestern and will update if I get anything back from them.

Thanks a lot for emailing Northwestern. Not that I have hope left for them, but do let us know when you hear something. It'd probably be silly to already call Berkeley today to try and figure out whether they've sent out all admissions, but ughhhhh.

And thanks for the info Cicero, congrats again!

Edited by Tan

Yes. My absolute favorite. I really hope theyĀ“re just playing with some of us until tomorrow...

Actually, SuddenlyParanoid, itĀ“s a good sign you havenĀ“t heard from them yet, because they are going to admit you for sure, and will certainly do so tomorrow...or am I dreaming?

I'm hoping so! Thanks for the vote of confidence cool.gif

OK...I'm obviously very desperate to hear from more places. I checked the results board for last year's cycle it appears that people got automated e-mails late afternoon from UCB last year and then some more the next morning.

Also, UCSD sent out e-mails around 10am PT.

And BTW, this board (created by yours truly tongue.gif ) is about to break 50,000 views!

Edited by APGradApplicant

OK...I'm obviously very desperate to hear from more places. I checked the results board for last year's cycle it appears that people got automated e-mails late afternoon from UCB last year and then some more the next morning.

Also, UCSD sent out e-mails around 10am PT.

I'm going crazy waiting for any of my schools! I'd take some official rejections right now over this silence.

Congrats to all the Berkeley acceptances!! I didn't get an email so I am going to assume I'm out. I wasn't a very good fit, I only really applied to work with a certain professor, so I guess it makes sense.

Let's hope the rest of us hear some good news this week :) I'm thinking (hoping lol) NYU and Yale...

Edited by thatsnotmyname

I would really like for Berkeley to have another round of acceptance emails...any chance they did it by subfield?

I'll cling to that hope until a theory person writes that they've been accepted, as that hasn't happened just yet! But I'm still trying to accept the fact that I'm probably out of that one. Megan, what's your subfield again?

Edited by Tan