Fall 2010 Admission Results

Who the hell does that?? This isn't a joke; we are waiting to hear about whether we got into institutions that will influence what kind of job we can get and what kind of career we can have.

Ok why did this get 3 negative points??

I'm actually glad that Harvard will likely be one of the last schools to notify me. I have one acceptance (yay) and I'm hoping that, by the time I get an email from Mr. Wall, I'll have another one or two under my belt to soften the likely rejection.

Don't worry! One- I'm pretty sure you will get in, two- yeah you're going to have some great options otherwise.

It's really annoying on the other hand that it takes so long to hear back- Berkeley is the first school I applied to that is notifying and not having personally heard from them is just adding to my annoyance and overall stress level.

Edited by thatsnotmyname

Ok why did this get 3 negative points??

What are these points for anyway? I think everyone is entitled to their views and opinions without some anonymous rating system. I had not even noticed that until you guys brought it up. I also missed the American/International status on the results page, I am glad these were not snakes!

By the way, I wish there was some sort of system for curbing those false results posts. I am not sure how it would work, but it seems to be an issue. This also should apply to that psycho post by that Duke rejection.

Edited by Bobb-Cobb

Just wanted so congratulate those of you who were accepted at Berkeley today! For the rest of us who are still waiting (I haven't heard anything from any of the schools I applied to, but I'm assuming I'm rejected at Northwestern), try to relax, do some reading, go to the gym, and just get your mind off of the entire process. I know it's easier said than done, especially when you see decisions rolling in from school that you applied at, but there really is very little we can do besides wait.

Best of luck to everyone--I hope that we all end up at great institutions doing excellent research for the next 5-7 years, meeting each other at conferences, publishing papers, and joining the dog-eat-dog world of academia.

Don't worry! One- I'm pretty sure you will get in, two- yeah you're going to have some great options otherwise.

It's really annoying on the other hand that it takes so long to hear back- Berkeley is the first school I applied to that is notifying and not having personally heard from them is just adding to my annoyance and overall stress level.

Trust me...even when you've already heard back from one, it doesn't help with the nerves. <_<

Trust me...even when you've already heard back from one, it doesn't help with the nerves. <_<

Haha this is probably true. But at least you know you have a back up plan should all else fail! Right now all I have is to try and find a job- yeah that's gonna go real well in this economy.

And true Oxon, your mild heart attack is good proof of that :P

Edited by thatsnotmyname

That is, unless you applied to only 1! biggrin.gif

No, seriously I know what you mean. I was accepted to 6 places last year, and once I got the first I could not wait to get the second. It is sort of like getting a tattoo.

I'm lucky I have an in at Toms Shoes! :P

Heh. I don't think I'm creative enough to get a pair of those shoes- I'd much rather buy the shoes already "designed" or whatever.

So I basically have my email account open and ready to go. Anytime I see a little (1) pop up I flip out, check it immediately and am instantly disappointed. I hate how many stupid non-application related emails I get a day! Yeah, these next two days of working from home are gonna suck lol.

Heh. I don't think I'm creative enough to get a pair of those shoes- I'd much rather buy the shoes already "designed" or whatever.

So I basically have my email account open and ready to go. Anytime I see a little (1) pop up I flip out, check it immediately and am instantly disappointed. I hate how many stupid non-application related emails I get a day! Yeah, these next two days of working from home are gonna suck lol.

Should tell all family and friends to email you at a different account so that you don't get false alarms ;). HA as if that would work...lol.

I second this! I almost wish I didn't know that other people were hearing -- it's both the best and worst part of having GradCafe here.

Should tell all family and friends to email you at a different account so that you don't get false alarms ;). HA as if that would work...lol.

Yeah that would be good...I suppose the mild excitement I get opening my inbox is creating some sort of exercise for my heart though. Woo now I can avoid the gym!

For all those Vanderbilt applicants out there:

I just contacted the director to update my file and asked when we should expect to hear from them. He said the committee is meeting this week and that the first round of offers should go out next week. He will also, thank you for not torturing us, send "somewhat impersonal mass emails" to those waitlisted and those who will not be considered any further. I think we can all agree that if it's going to bad, we'd rather just get it over with.

Whoops, posted this bit in a different thread but thought I should put it here.

I got some information regarding Brown. Apparently they have not made any decisions, and they say there is no possible way 4 people were admitted when the results page says they were...I hope they're not lying to me, this gives me some hope!

Edited by anxiousmike

OK, I was embarrassed to say this at first because I thought I was the only one, but I'll confess I'm kind of a nervous wreck as well. I've been checking up on this site every 5-10 mins and couldn't even sleep one minute last night thinking about whether we'd hear from UCSD today. They really had better just get it over with tomorrow, as they did it on a Wednesday last year. If it's not gonna be till Thursday- well, then boy I'll be pissed off.

And btw, I know Minnesota is no Harvard but it's still a very good school and near the top of my list, so I'm taking the posting the same way you Harvard people were taking the one we now know to be a fake. Thus, I would greatly appreciate it if the person who posted it either explain the admission or admit it was a prank (if it was so).

OK, I was embarrassed to say this at first because I thought I was the only one, but I'll confess I'm kind of a nervous wreck as well. I've been checking up on this site every 5-10 mins and couldn't even sleep one minute last night thinking about whether we'd hear from UCSD today. They really had better just get it over with tomorrow, as they did it on a Wednesday last year. If it's not gonna be till Thursday- well, then boy I'll be pissed off.

And btw, I know Minnesota is no Harvard but it's still a very good school and near the top of my list, so I'm taking the posting the same way you Harvard people were taking the one we now know to be a fake. Thus, I would greatly appreciate it if the person who posted it either explain the admission or admit it was a prank (if it was so).

I think you may well need to stay up until Thursday. We may be in a Freddy Krueger type of situation, where the moment you fall asleep, you get a rejection email.

AP, I claim Minnesota. I was told that I was nominated for another fellowship and maybe that's why I heard earlier. Best of luck to everyone!

AP, I claim Minnesota. I was told that I was nominated for another fellowship and maybe that's why I heard earlier. Best of luck to everyone!

Did you explicitly get an acceptance? Someone else posted a similar story about a fellowship nomination a few weeks ago, but they hadn't been accepted yet.

Oxon, I hope you're feeling better, and I know how ridiculously wrong that was, but this is still making me laugh every time I read it:

I felt bad after reading the intense psychic convulsion of one poster, who I hope is OK....

Thank you, Pablo for clarifying. Congratulations on your fellowship nomination. I would be shocked if that didn't mean you were admitted. However, I echo natofone's question: was it an explicit acceptance or just asking for more info b/c of your fellowship nomination? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that's a sign of good things to come, but just for clarification purposes I'd be interested to know whether they outright accepted you or not.