No GRE, no prerequisites required

ashny

Does anyone know of any ASHA certified universities that don't require a GRE  and don't require a CSD degree or prerequisites either.

I was at school over 25 years ago (and not in this country either) so the GRE is a major stumbling block for me. I have an undergraduate and Masters degree but they are not CSD related. Thanks

There are some that don't require GRE maybe (I'm not sure, but I've heard they exist,) and some that don't require prereqs (but you take them in your first year of the masters, if admitted) BUT I have never heard of a school requiring neither. 

To be frank, SLP is very competitive and will only continue to get more competitive. With a lower GPA, things like a high GRE score and taking the prereqs and doing well bolster your chances of getting in. 

CSU Fullerton doesnt require the GRE 

http://communications.fullerton.edu/graduate_students/hcom/pdf/Admission Requirements for CD M.A. program_9_17_15.pdf

I would strongly encourage you to take the GRE if you are applying to American schools because they are sometomes used in conjunction with the GPA to qualify for scholarships. 

Other places that don't need the GRE are Australian schools like the University of Queensland or Macquarie University as those offer master's programs that have American alumni who were able to meet 2005 ASHA certification standards. Check first with ASHA if they accept those programs as part of the Mutual Recognition Agreement and make sure the program coordinators will work with you to get your academic and clinical hours for ASHA certification. 

Also, the University of Canterbury's Master in SLP program in New Zealand has ASHA certified professors who might be interested in helping you.

Edited by ImHis

On 12/27/2016 at 5:13 PM, ImHis said:

Just to add to and clarify this, CSUF requires that you have the prerequisites done before admission, so you'd be entering a post-baccalaureate program first, and then reapplying for the master's program. Also, California is known for being incredibly competitive for grad schools, and since CSUF doesn't take the GRE, they have high GPA standards and rarely looks at anyone with below a 3.7 GPA for their grad school. 

6 hours ago, ashny said:

Does anyone know of any ASHA certified universities that don't require a GRE  and don't require a CSD degree or prerequisites either.

I was at school over 25 years ago (and not in this country either) so the GRE is a major stumbling block for me. I have an undergraduate and Masters degree but they are not CSD related. Thanks

CANADA!

19 minutes ago, COGSCI said:

CANADA!

Schools in Canada can be even more competitive. It also looks like all but one school has prereqs and/or requires the GRE. Also, some programs can't accept applicants who aren't Canadian citizens or permanent residents (Toronto and UBC come to mind).

Edited by babykoala

I can't find the 3 year extended Masters though.

BTW, Crimson Wife, you have excellent statistics which will get you into many grad schools. Why would you do a second bachelors in Communicative Disorders?

12 hours ago, ashny said:

I can't find the 3 year extended Masters though.

BTW, Crimson Wife, you have excellent statistics which will get you into many grad schools. Why would you do a second bachelors in Communicative Disorders?

A bunch of reasons:

#1. It is cheaper to do the leveling classes at the undergrad level through USU than it is to take the same classes at the grad level. The difference could be as big as $20k and at my stage of life (turn 40 next month, eek!), I want to minimize student loan debt.

#2. Having a bachelor's in CSD opens up more grad schools and the possibility of working as a SLP Asst. either during grad school or if I don't get in on the first try and need to reapply. 

#3. My 1st bachelor's was completed in the 20th century and I needed current academic LoR's to apply to grad school.

#4. My daughter's hearing loss was discovered in Feb. '15 and going back to school that May was what pulled me out of the funk I had fallen into. I was able to start the USU program pretty much immediately after I decided on CSD. Schoolwork was just the distraction I needed at that low point in my life.

Thanks for the explanation. I am 42 years old and can completely identify with (2) and (3) as I was thinking along the same lines of increasing options and getting current academic LOR's. I could not work as an SLPA in my state though. I have a 2.7undergrad GPA and 3.4 for my Masters.  I waver between applying and not applying because of the competitiveness and I am not sure I want to spend another year doing a second bachelors/post baccaleurate when it could leave me with nothing in the end. I have not even attempted the GRE's yet..

@ashny Jumping in to say that I think you should go for it. Maybe I'm biased because I'm also a career changer (turning 30 next year) but I think it's never too late. My Mom went back to school for her masters in education when she was almost 50 and now she has a career she loves. The worst that happens is you don't get accepted and you have to apply again next year. There are also some programs that have spring and summer starts so if you don't get accepted for Fall 2017 or can't meet the deadlines that is an option. I see you're also in the NY area - I know NYU has a new online program with spring, summer and fall starts and I believe LIU Brooklyn also has a spring program now. With NYU you can take the prerequisites after you've been accepted.

I would sign up to take the GRE as soon as you can. There are timed practice tests you can take online to see what areas you need to work on.

Good luck!

On 12/27/2016 at 11:35 PM, ashny said:

Europe! :D

2 minutes ago, LeahPhil. said:

Europe! :D

Yes, I considered that but it's not so simple.....ASHA has a list of requirements to meet and does not guarantee that you will be allowed to practice even despite the mutual agreement it has with other countries. You would have to take a chance not knowing if you could come back here.