Hi All,

This is a thread partly to pass the time while we are waiting but hopefully it will also be informative. I saw on another forum a general reading list of what people are currently reading and I thought it might be a good to give some ideas for fun/academic reads specific to the field of education.

Now, to kick start this thread. I am currently reading:

Education related:

1) Death at An Early Age, by John Kozol

2) Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty, by Daron Acemoğlu

Non-education specific:

Swing Time by Zadie Smith (thus far so good and certainly interesting to me for its discussions of class, race and education).

How about you?

Edited by mjl89
grammar

2 hours ago, mjl89 said:

Hi All,

This is a thread partly to pass the time while we are waiting but hopefully it will also be informative. I saw on another forum a general reading list of what people are currently reading and I thought it might be a good to give some ideas for fun/academic reads specific to the field of education.

Now, to kick start this thread. I am currently reading:

Education related:

1) Death at An Early Age, by John Kozol

2) Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty, by Daron Acemoğlu

Non-education specific:

Swing Time by Zadie Smith (thus far so good and certainly interesting to me for its discussions of class, race and education).

How about you?

I am reading Academic Freedom and the Modern University by John W. Boyer, and One Hundred Semesters by William Chase. :)

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series (my school where I teach has a Harry Potter student/staff book club), reading Kindred by Octavia Butler, and will be reading Closing the Opportunity Gap: What America Must Do to Give Every Child an Even Chance edited by Prudence Carter and Kevin Welner once I finish the previous two. I also just read Survivig Your Stupid, Atupid Decision to Go to Grad School by Adam Ruben (funny Christmas gift from a friend who knows I'm going through the application process!). 

Edited by Espeon

Current student at Harvard's Ed. School. Here is my book list for after graduation:

• Instructional Rounds in Education: A Network Approach to Improving Teaching and Learning by Sarah Fiarman
  • Data Wise in Action: Stories of Schools Using Data to Improve Teaching and Learning by Sarah Fiarman
  • How Kids Succeed by Michael Fullan 
  • Role of Government in Education by Milton Friedman
  • Becoming a School Principal
  • The 21st century principal
  • Cage Busting Leadership Rick Hess
  • Resourceful Leadership Elizabeth City
  • Who Rules the World Noam Chomsky
  • The Flat World and Education by Linda Darling Hammond
  • Preparing Principals for a Changing World by Linda Darling Hammond
  • Tinkering Toward Utopia by David Tyack
  •  Five Miles Away, A World Apart by Jim Ryan
  • Excellent Sheep: Miseducation of America's Elite by William Deresiewicz
  • Making Hispanics by G. Christina Mora
  • The Diversity Bargain by Natasha Warikoo
  • Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well  by Douglas Stone & Sheila Heen
  • Improbable Scholars by David Kirp
  • Lessons from Privilege: The American Prep School Tradition
  • World Peace and Other 4th Grade Accomplishments
  • Trust in Schools by Anthony Bryk
  • Courageous Conversation by Glen Singleton
  • The Principal's Chair by Dr. Judith Knotts
  • Understanding Power by Noam Chomsky
  • The Price of Admission by Daniel Golden
  • Listen, Liberal by Thomas Frank
  • The Problem with Math is English by Concepcion Molina
  • The Together Leader by Maia Heyck-Merlin
  • Generosity Network by McCrea, Walker, and Weber
  • Shoe Dog by Phil Knight

In line with the 2017 Read Harder challenge I have also begun reading a rather funny book entitled 'What I did while you were breeding' - certainly providing me with some light relief and reassuring me that it's ok for me to pursue a phd in a foreign country rather than focussing on marriage and babies (though I am sure many people do both).

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2016/12/22/doing-2017-read-harder-challenge-try-these-books?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

@mjl89 I hadn't heard about the Read Harder challenge. I like it!!  I'h

I watched the Black Power Mixtape over the break and realized I'd never actually read any Angela Y. Davis.  So, I'm reading Are Prisons Obsolete? right now, and will be following that up with Women, Race and Class and Assata Shakur's book Assata.   Those will tide me over for January, and I love the idea of meeting each of those categories each month, though some aren't as far out of my comfort zone as others. 

NPR's Book Concierge makes it easy to find books. But, this suggestion that people stop reading books by white male authors and read books by anyone else is one I find admirable and will likely take up. It's actually something I took on in teaching a class in the fall and it was interesting to see how long it took the students to catch on.

On 1/4/2017 at 4:22 AM, Espeon said:

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series (my school where I teach has a Harry Potter student/staff book club), reading Kindred by Octavia Butler, and will be reading Closing the Opportunity Gap: What America Must Do to Give Every Child an Even Chance edited by Prudence Carter and Kevin Welner once I finish the previous two. I also just read Survivig Your Stupid, Atupid Decision to Go to Grad School by Adam Ruben (funny Christmas gift from a friend who knows I'm going through the application process!). 

Wow, I am also rereading Harry Potter! It's a Christmas time tradition! I read the books prior to going to sleep, mostly. And I read Surviving, too. It's actually a bit anxiety-inducing, no?

3 hours ago, day_manderly said:

Wow, I am also rereading Harry Potter! It's a Christmas time tradition! I read the books prior to going to sleep, mostly. And I read Surviving, too. It's actually a bit anxiety-inducing, no?

A little for sure, but I thought it did a good job of making light of a lot of the struggles. I'm pretty excited though, so no anxiety about it has really sunk in just yet!