Clinical Masters transition to PhD

Roxy3232

Hello all,

So I am new to the site, but I have been referred from a friend of mine and so far I like what I see. I am currently attending a Clinical Masters of Psychology in North Carolina. In NC I will be able to practice clinically with my masters pending supervision for life, which is one reason I am applying to Clinical PhDs around the country for Fall 2017. Long story short, the General Psychology students in my program enter the general psych track with the intention of taking that research experience straight to a PhD, because they cannot sit for licensing with just the general masters. My question is if my Clinical Masters, with a focus in substance use, makes me more or less appealing to a Clinical Psychology PhD program than a general masters of psychology student? I have a fair amount of research, but not in comparison to my peers in the general track, but I have 1200 of clinical internship not including clinical coursework. Just curious to others experiences in making the transition from a masters program to a PhD?

32 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

It depends on the program. The more research focused programs are going to want more research experience. That said, the PhD is inherently a research degree. If you want to primarily focus on clinical work, have you thought about a PsyD?

I've certainly considered the PsyD but I am hoping to really expand my research, I just didn't have as much access to doing so in my Masters with all the extra clinical hours. The PhD seems more in line with my hopes to teach at the colligate level as well as conduct my own research than the PsyD. 

Following because a Clinical Psych Master's is currently my plan B, although I would be more than happy to do that. I would be completing the Master's at a research/science focused school and looking into a medical center for my Ph.D. With acceptance rates being what they are for Clinical programs, I wonder if a Master's and research experience makes a difference as well.

I am also currently in a Master clinical psychology program and am applying to programs this Fall 2017. I have some years of research experience from my undergraduate and graduate school. However, I do not have a lot of publications or posters, just one poster and I am working on a publication. I am wondering as well if going this route is making me an acceptable candidate for a Ph.D. clinical psychology program.  

@FuturePhDGirl I'm applying to Masters programs now, and from what I've read and heard is that a masters in Counseling or a Masters in Psychology will make you just as acceptable for candidacy for clinical psychology programs. It's a matter of how much or how little research emphasis there is, and how much clinical emphasis there is on the program. If you have been more clinically focused, a lower research emphasis may be better suited for you. The Insiders Guide In Clinical and Counseling Psychology rates these programs based on research/clinical emphasis. 

Out of curiosity, where did you go for your masters? University of Houston? That's my number one school!

1 hour ago, LindsayM said:

@FuturePhDGirl I'm applying to Masters programs now, and from what I've read and heard is that a masters in Counseling or a Masters in Psychology will make you just as acceptable for candidacy for clinical psychology programs. It's a matter of how much or how little research emphasis there is, and how much clinical emphasis there is on the program. If you have been more clinically focused, a lower research emphasis may be better suited for you. The Insiders Guide In Clinical and Counseling Psychology rates these programs based on research/clinical emphasis. 

Out of curiosity, where did you go for your masters? University of Houston? That's my number one school!

I went to University of Houston Clear Lake  Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology and they emphasize research. It is just the lab projects had to be pushed back due to our Professor/Lab Head having a baby. This spring semester and summer semester we are suppose to be presenting at more conferences which will add to my posters portion of my CV. 

Edited by FuturePhDGirl

5 minutes ago, LindsayM said:

@FuturePhDGirl would you say that the program is difficult to get into? What has your experience been in the program?

It is definitely is not easy to get into the program especially due to the number of applicants. I am involved in a developmental disabilities lab due to my interest in this area. They also have anxiety lab, health psychology, and a ACT lab 

What I have seen and what I have heard on the SDN forums is that the impact of having a practice-oriented masters degree will be negative to negligible for clinical psychology programs and negligible to extremely positive for counseling psychology programs. In fact, some counseling psychology programs require a masters degree for admission.