Driving myself crazy

SarahBethSortino

I'm playing the waiting game right now, and a big part of it is that I'm questioning/analyzing/rethinking/obsessing over every decision I made during this cycle. I applied to six schools - should I have done more? I met with two of them because they were the only ones that had time to meet - should I have pushed harder? Should I have studied more for my GRE even though I did pretty well? I think it really hit me today that there's a decent chance I won't get in anywhere, just because that's how it works. Anyone else feeling like they're going crazy?

Definitely feel like I'm going crazy and it's compounded by everything I'm trying to get done before my spring semester starts. I'm working on all this stuff with deadlines coming up soon, but every notification I get on my phone might be an email from a program. Constant anxiety and disappointment when it's not, then have to get back into work, haha.

Yes. This is me 100%. I applied in 2013 and was rejected from all 4 universities. This round I submitted 6 applications and visited with 2 of the universities. I cannot stop updating my email hoping to have at least an interview invite. I get this sinking feeling that I will be rejected again. I just want to know!

2 minutes ago, SarahBethSortino said:

I think its compounded for me by the fact that this is my one and only cycle. I'm not doing it again. If this doesn't pan out, I'm moving on. So I have a lot riding on those 6 applications.

I haven't decided if I will apply again if this season doesn't pan out. I know I plan to start applying to jobs if it isn't looking good (or is still unknown) come March, but I'm not sure what I'll do if it comes down to it. Hopefully, wherever I end up will still let me do the research I'm passionate about and work with people in some capacity (preferably online groups, but not super picky at the end of the day).

I feel you on this.  I was 0/4 last year, and told myself I would come back stronger this year and that this year would be the last time I do it.   I really believe(d) that I would get admitted.  So, I know it's only early-January, but each silent day makes me feel like "well, what am I going to do if this isn't it?!"  Having email notifications turned on is also crazy-making because I'm checking each one like it could be an application email and it's just making me more nuts.   ARE WE THERE YET?! 

I've got 12 MFA applications out and I'm literally in an almost constant existential crisis. I'll graduate with my MA in May, and I've got a 4.0, but I was AWFUL in the first two years of my undergrad and screwed around and got a terrible GPA. I'm freaked out that it'll really hurt me. 

Godspeed, everyone!

Looks like I am not the only one agonizing over my application, whether I sold myself enough in my SOP, could I have written a better one?! Should I have applied to more schools?

Perhaps this will be the year we all get at least one acceptance from our desired program! 

Let's keep our hope alive! 

Edited by therisingpage

Yeah, I'm with you. The possibility of getting shut out definitely sinks in once you hit submit. But I'm trying to focus positively - reading, working, and just relaxing now that it's over. It's definitely easier the less I keep my mind on it! 

1 hour ago, goldenstardust11 said:

Yeah, I'm with you. The possibility of getting shut out definitely sinks in once you hit submit. But I'm trying to focus positively - reading, working, and just relaxing now that it's over. It's definitely easier the less I keep my mind on it! 

I'm really lucky that my job has literally nothing to do with my PhD. If it did it would not be the welcome distraction that it is.

The wait sucks. I've only applied to 3 universities but my application is relatively strong. Received one offer a couple of days ago but before that had heard nothing - and it's almost been 3 months for the other two applications! I'm hoping to find out about the rest over the next couple of weeks; fingers crossed.

17 hours ago, OX_CS said:

The wait sucks. I've only applied to 3 universities but my application is relatively strong. Received one offer a couple of days ago but before that had heard nothing - and it's almost been 3 months for the other two applications! I'm hoping to find out about the rest over the next couple of weeks; fingers crossed.

Can you check your inbox, please?

I have applied to 13 universities, across three subjects- Sociology, Social Work, and Research Methodology- and do not think i will get in to any. There is a reason for this.

I seem to always approach the application rounds with such hesitancy because I've done this two times, and rejected from all universities (up to 6, each time). Its been 4 years since i last applied. The difference this time around is I have 6 years of research experience, 2 publications, and 2 years of experience teaching college classes. 

I am eagerly awaiting feedback as well. I should be getting responses from January to March.