UW MHCID 2017 Applicants

bbobear

Just throwing this out there for any other UW MHCI+D applicants for 2017. As you all know, apps were due on Jan 12th so we have a little while to wait! 

I only applied to MHCI+D, but this could be a discussion area for applicants of similar programs (HCDE, etc) to vent/rant/discuss as well :)

MS HCDE applicant here!! Our deadline was Jan 15th and it's the only program I applied to, so I'm already anxious to hear back. Still a lot of time to wait though - two months. I wonder when they start reviewing applications.

If I don't get in then I'll have to decide between trying for the HCDE certificate and re-applying to the MS, trying for the MHCI+D next year (need to do more research on that though), or looking at schools other than UW. I'd really prefer to stay in Seattle though! I currently work in UX and want to be a researcher so a masters is basically a must.

Yeah it's the same for me, UW MHCI+D was the only program I applied for. We recently got an email saying that the MHCID faculty admissions committee "will be reviewing materials and making decisions throughout January and February", so of course I am now checking my application status every day. Or more than that. =\

I mean this waiting period is nothing compared to undergraduate admissions but it is still pretty agonizing! I'm also trying to become a UX Researcher, so fingers crossed for both of us!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Lol I'm pretty much talking to myself here, but whatever...

Feeling pretty sad right now because I just failed my Google interview. It was for a Research Participant Coordinator position, so if I'd got it, I would have been regularly collaborating and negotiating with UX Researchers w.r.t participants for their studies. 

It was a great opportunity, I managed to get past the phone screen to the in-person interviews, but sadly I wasn't hired in the end. 

Not sure what you guys are up to for trying to prepare yourselves for the program, but that's me so far. 

I think decisions for MHCI+D and HCDE will be coming out, at earliest, late February and early March judging by the results from 2016/2015 on this website. Best of luck to you two and I'm waiting on results from these programs as well :)

@bbobear You mentioned working in UX already, mind me asking a little bit about what kind of stuff? IxD? User researching/testing?

Edited by siitrasn

@siitrasn I haven't worked in UX already...the Google thing would have been my first UX-related job if I'd been successful. Alas :P

I'm still trying to get related work, though, and I'll keep trying until I get something or until the program starts (If I'm admitted obviously). My most recent jobs have been administrative so I'm just trying to break out of that and get something closer to UX Research.

Nice to talk to another applicant for the program!

@bbobear I know how it feels trying to get in -- I'm switching from a different field also so I do have my own fair share of worries. I actually had a few UX testing/research opportunities lined up but I ended up dropping them to prioritize school. (Needed a break from work to be honest.) If I don't get in, there's always next year and I can find work for another year to keep me going.

Let me know if you ever want to share resources about UX and stuff. Happy to chat and talk to another applicant!

@bbobear Sorry about the job. Those interviews can be particularly tough and I wouldn't take it personally - sometimes a rejection is not a knock on you as an applicant but just a matter of things not lining up. E.g. maybe someone decided last minute that a certain criteria not even listed on the job description is vital, or one of your interviewers had a crappy day, or they were looking to hire internally all along but had to interview outsiders per policy or... you get the idea. I've been there. Hearing that "thanks but we've decided on someone else" totally totally sucks, but being on the other side of the table and interviewing has really opened up my eyes - there are so many factors at play. Don't take it personally. Keep trying and applying!

@siitrasn Just curious- if you get into both, which program do you think you would you choose? If you did HCDE would it be full time?

@bellis Honestly, both programs sound great but they have very different pros/cons. I've heard MHCI+D current and former students say they felt and/or heard HCDE is too slow/outdated, but on the other hand I've heard HCDE is highly regarded in research and much more connected with industry/academia in terms of faculty. It really depends which factors I end up making my decision on, like the fact that my SO doesn't like the rainy weather in Washington so 1 year might be better for us and that I'm mostly interested in user research/testing. One of the reasons I applied to both programs is because I saw myself fitting in with either format and haven't 100% made up my mind which one is a better fit.

If I do get in, I'd choose to attend full time. Did you apply for just HCDE this time around?

Edited by siitrasn

@bellis Thanks for that; it was definitely tough to accept at first but it was definitely a learning experience! If I'm fortunate enough to interview again I'll definitely be better prepared. Plus I'm still looking at other great opportunities, so hopefully something will pan out! 

I personally chose MHCI+D over HCDE because MHCI+D is going to be much more industry-focused. There are going to be projects where we will collaborate with actual industry professionals, and work on some of their real problems. The intensive one-year format appealed to me a lot as well, since I'll have to temporarily separate from my spouse for most or all of the program, but mostly I chose MHCI+D because I think it's a better fit for what I want to do. 

Also, Michael Smith is the new leader of the program, and knowing some UW design majors who worked with him, I expect that the program is going to be really rigorous and exciting for our year. I mean from the looks of things it has been great in past years too, but I'm very excited for the future of the program. I think it will become extremely competitive in the coming years.

• 2 weeks later...

It's close enough to March 15 (HCDE admission decision deadline) that I've been checking my email a little more often than usual. This is so nerve-wracking. I'm trying to tell myself to just chill. 

Is there a specific date the MHCI+D decisions will be out by?

@bellis the MHCI+D website says "early March" in the FAQs, but "late March" in the Admissions section of the site. It seems to me that the FAQs haven't really been edited much compared to the rest of the site, so I'd say the admissions committee is planning on having stuff ready by mid to late March. 

If we get very lucky the results may be out this week (in 2015 they were out in late Feb), but it seems very likely it will be closer to the 2016 results, which came out March 14-16 (acceptances 14th, rejections 16th). 

Some other info I found: 

The MHCID website links to the 2015 admission stats to help you get an idea of competitiveness: https://grad.uw.edu/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/admissions15.pdf

In 2015 there was a 33% total admit rate for the MHCID (Design Use Build) program. 

The site does not link to the 2016 admission stats, but they are here: https://grad.uw.edu/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/admissions16.pdf

In 2016 the total admit rate for MHCID was only 22%. 

Those links also have the HCDE admission rates (which decreased from 27% in 2015 to 23% in 2016). 

Yeah for sure....I mean it's great for anyone who IS accepted in the end...the more competitive the program gets, the higher the premium on its graduates in the future. 

I think this is going to turn out a lot like the UW CSE program, with demand growing to absurd levels. Of course all of us here would hope that we're interested in these programs for the right reasons: specifically, a passion for research, UX and design. But the fact is that these programs are a gateway for those with low earning potential in the undergraduate degree (...such as psychology...*ahem*) to HUGELY increase that earning potential by going into tech without a need for math or engineering study. 

Edited by bbobear

Bear in mind that acceptance rate is not necessarily indicative of the general pool of applicants, so we can never know what a ton of the apps look like. Plus, with the diverse background of people straight from academia/undergrad and those with several years of work experience, it's really hard to compare people's profiles.

Not MHCID/HCDE, but in a recent online session for MSIM applicants, an admissions counselor for that program said there were fewer applications than normal this year, though she added that test scores were a bit higher than before. I think there's a chance that the drop is related to the political situation in the U.S. discouraging international applicants. Not sure why test scores would be up--maybe people with lower scores were not motivated to apply this year. Wish I had a dataset to play with, haha. 

12 hours ago, moscar said:

Not MHCID/HCDE, but in a recent online session for MSIM applicants, an admissions counselor for that program said there were fewer applications than normal this year, though she added that test scores were a bit higher than before. I think there's a chance that the drop is related to the political situation in the U.S. discouraging international applicants. Not sure why test scores would be up--maybe people with lower scores were not motivated to apply this year. Wish I had a dataset to play with, haha. 

Interesting! I also wonder if HCI programs are starting to become more well known and more students are also choosing options not purely based on school ranking (i.e. location and convenience). I wouldn't be surprised if people working want to do a program closer to home or online programs since Masters in HCI-related fields and working experience go really well together.

Also, as @bbobear mentioned, it's a really good way to learn new skills and get a leg up in the UX field, so I'm not surprised if undergraduates might be gunning for these programs more now that UX itself is also a more well known in general.

Edited by siitrasn