UW MHCID 2017 Applicants

bbobear

I think the interviewing process might just for certain international students to verify their language proficiency. So don't be panic if you don't get one.  

Are we expecting the results coming out this week or maybe next week? 

8 minutes ago, Grad-school-freakout123 said:

The website says late March

I've heard people saying HCDE might send out admissions/rejs this week according to last year. 

@bobilu87 I thought the MHCID results would be out this week or next week, but given the new information about interviews we've just got, I think it will probably be later. Kinda got my hopes up because the email notifying us of the Visitor's days said "mid to late March" and last year the MHCID results came out on the 14th. 

HCDE results, however, should come out on the 15th or before, according to the HCDE website (they specifically say they'll notify you by the 15th). 

For HCDE, I think that in past years decisions came out in early March, prior to the 15th (I think last year was the 9th, and some rejections were even earlier, in late Feb). So I'm essentially in constant freakout mode :wacko:

Edited by sqa

5 minutes ago, bbobear said:

@bobilu87 I thought the MHCID results would be out this week or next week, but given the new information about interviews we've just got, I think it will probably be later. Kinda got my hopes up because the email notifying us of the Visitor's days said "mid to late March" and last year the MHCID results came out on the 14th. 

HCDE results, however, should come out on the 15th or before, according to the HCDE website (they specifically say they'll notify you by the 15th). 

Thanks for all the information. Anxiously waiting for the results. :( I know many other UW departments have sent out their final decisions, so I'm kinda guessing it should be these couple of days. 

4 minutes ago, sqa said:

For HCDE, I think that in past years decisions came out in early March, prior to the 15th (I think last year was the 9th, and some rejections were even earlier). So I'm essentially in constant freakout mode :wacko:

I know exactly how you feel. And I know they already sent some rejections in Feb.

1 minute ago, bobilu87 said:

And I know they already sent some rejections in Feb.

Do you mean this year?!

And it's definitely nice to have the camaraderie of other people freaking out too!

Pretty sure in these cases, these are automatic rejections based on failing to meet the stated, required minimum scores on the TOEFL. If someone applies without meeting the minimum TOEFL, they will get rejected without having their application go through the standard review process (where 2 ad com members read it, etc). 

17 minutes ago, bbobear said:

Pretty sure in these cases, these are automatic rejections based on failing to meet the stated, required minimum scores on the TOEFL. If someone applies without meeting the minimum TOEFL, they will get rejected without having their application go through the standard review process (where 2 ad com members read it, etc). 

Yes, I think so too. Do you happen to know the percentage of people on the waitlist? I have a feeling that they might put me on the waitlist. 

@bobilu87 I looked around and I can't find any information about % of candidates on the waitlist. It can't be that many considering that they admit more students than the program would fit, with the anticipation that a lot of accepted students will not attend. 

@sqaI applied both HCDE and MHCID, but didn't submit a portfolio for HCID. So I'm pretty much only counting on HCDE. I get a heart attack every time open my email, soooo nervous. 

@bobilu87 Aw I feel your pain! It's so stressful when there's so much riding on one decision. I'm actually going to be in the HCDE department later today (for something else), so there goes my plan of trying to distract myself...

@bobilu87 I should! :lol: A few years ago, there was actually a situation where I accidentally overheard part of a grad admissions committee meeting for a program I was applying to...

Oh gosh, and I'm sitting in a building on campus, and just happened to look to the left, into a room with the words "Admissions Updates" on a slideshow. There's seriously no escaping this...

Also, don't give up on MHCID! If it's anything like HCDE, the portfolio is totally optional -- so fingers crossed!

Edited by sqa