UW MHCID 2017 Applicants

bbobear

Congrats to everyone who got in!

@Grad-school-freakout123 Sorry about the rejection.

I'm not surprised if a focus on *learning research* is something that doesn't fit the program. I know people with business backgrounds who are interested in product management have gotten in to the program previously, but as I was writing my SOP I felt more and more like the course offerings for MHCI+D felt weaker for someone who wanted to learn more social science heavy stuff. I feel like this may have been a factor in how they felt people would fit into their studio format, since someone posted a result saying they got in and already had 3 years of research experience, and the adcomm may be more interested in people they think will be successful on project work.

20 hours ago, sqa said:

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections for MHCI+D :( 

For those who applied to HCDE, what area of specialization did you indicate -- research/design/engineering? Also, what category does your background fall into -- technical or engineering/social sciences/design? Or something else? For the latter, at an info session they mentioned trying to maintain somewhat equal proportions for admitted students, so now of course I'm freaking myself out and overthinking everything. I'm interested in research, and I have a social sciences background.

I applied with a focus on research and named specific professors/labs I'm interested in working DRG with. Psych background, some research experience, no publications. Not sure if that's what they wanted but HCDE personally feels like a very solid fit for people interested in the research route. I'm gunning for publications/conference presentations to land a research position post-graduation.

Also makes me wonder if the MHCI+D/HCDE admissions committees review profiles and think: "This person would be better suited for the other program." It's possible they might share some information too, since they have shared faculty.

Edited by siitrasn

@siitrasn I agree with you in that HCDE seems like a particularly good fit for research-oriented applicants. On the one hand, this makes me feel like I might be a good candidate, but on the other hand I don't want to think that since I'll be even more disappointed if I don't get in. I'm in a similar boat to you, with research experience but no publications.

@cuddles I've been doing the exact same! It's horrible having this constant feeling of dread... I really hope we find out before the weekend!

Also, faculty outside of the admissions committee seem to not really be in the loop about it. The other day an HCDE faculty mentioned not knowing when decisions come out, or even who was on the committee.

44 minutes ago, sqa said:

I really hope we're not going to have to wait till Wednesday for HCDE news! I don't know how much more of this I can take...

Same here, I've been checked email, application and also here every hour... 

@nanz It seems like the past two years, acceptances went out on a Wednesday (9th in 2016, 11th in 2015)... Not sure if this is an actual pattern, or just me being obsessive :( I've been constantly refreshing my email and application page too.

I also noticed that it was on Wednesdays in past years, but also that those occurred in the week before the 15th. So now that it's the week of, maybe they won't stick to that. Or maybe, more likely, it's all a coincidence, the decisions are released when available, and I should just chill because I can't do anything about it either way. This realization hasn't stopped me from checking my email every 15 mins though...

@bellis That's EXACTLY my train of thought. I even added a Gmail Labs feature that changes the icon on my email tab when I get a new email... Not that that stops me from manually refreshing my email every couple of minutes.

@sqa Totally get it! I marked the "hcde-grad" email address as a VIP contact on my Mail app so that anything from them appears as a notification on my lock screen. As if I wouldn't be checking constantly. This process has definitely brought out the crazy in me ? 

15 hours ago, sqa said:

@nanz It seems like the past two years, acceptances went out on a Wednesday (9th in 2016, 11th in 2015)... Not sure if this is an actual pattern, or just me being obsessive :( I've been constantly refreshing my email and application page too.

Yup, this is why I checked my email and application page like every 5 min last Wednesday!! I hope we can get the result soon