UW MHCID 2017 Applicants

bbobear

Yeah and it sucks because we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. That's the worst part.

I sent another program some addition writing samples they requested and I didn't hear back from them for two weeks. I emailed them to confirm they had received the materials and still no answer. Eventually three weeks went by so I called them and they were very short with me. I felt terrible because I didn't intend to bother them but I needed to make sure they received my stuff. 

This process is hard on both sides and unfortunately requires more patience on our part. 

3 hours ago, 123abc said:

@siitrasn what makes you think you were not a best fit?

Compared to other programs MHCI+D at UW seemed to have the fewest opportunities for pure researchers to develop. I specifically mentioned in my SOP that I wanted to become a UX researcher and that design/prototyping were areas that I wanted improve to become a better researcher. I (personally) feel like other programs would provide better opportunities to study research techniques.

Edited by siitrasn

10 minutes ago, siitrasn said:

Compared to other programs MHCI+D at UW seemed to have the fewest opportunities for pure researchers to develop. I specifically mentioned in my SOP that I wanted to become a UX researcher and that design/prototyping were areas that I wanted improve to become a better researcher. I (personally) feel like other programs would provide better opportunities to study research techniques.

Wow I mentioned something similar in my SOP and got rejected as well. Hmm. Are they looking for purely designers?

I'm sorry to hear about the rejections for MHCI+D :( 

For those who applied to HCDE, what area of specialization did you indicate -- research/design/engineering? Also, what category does your background fall into -- technical or engineering/social sciences/design? Or something else? For the latter, at an info session they mentioned trying to maintain somewhat equal proportions for admitted students, so now of course I'm freaking myself out and overthinking everything. I'm interested in research, and I have a social sciences background.

Edited by sqa