'Older'/Non-traditional students

Are there any older students out there who have taken the GRE exam and what was your experience in learning the math part?

I understand that GRE math is based on Grade 7-12? high school maths and being out of school for a long time would mean that we would have forgotten most of the maths.

As a 43 year old who went to high school in another country I have never even heard of some of the concepts (like absolute values for example) and am now studying it for the first time.

I had 'breakdown' this weekend as I was studying from Magoosh and could not even get a single answer right in the quiz/test section. I have read statistics that only 3% of people over 40 take the GRE exam.

If you were an 'older' student when you took the GRE, did you find it difficult,? Do you think the test is learnable? 

I have always been a very bright student who has scored top marks in my academic career, but the GRE maths is making me lose my confidence.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by ashny

I think the maths section can be difficult for those who didn't major in maths or engineering. I majored in linguistics and in high school, I was getting 50-60% in my math courses. I suspect it may be also due to lack of confidence and I did not acquire the fundamentals early on so it became a challenge. When it came time to review for the GRE, I was overwhelmed so I chose to spend a year studying for it.

I consulted some engineers and they strongly recommend getting the Barron's math review book. It goes through all the maths concepts step by step. I studied for 1 year before taking the test and I was happy with my scores in the end.  

Originally took the GRE my senior year of my 1st undergrad degree at age 21. Got a 720 (out of 800), which was 83rd percentile. Wish that score wasn't long expired!

Took it again last year at age 39 after only prepping the verbal and no special prep for the math, though I have homeschooled my kids 1st grade through algebra 1. Scored a 154, which was 56th percentile. I decided that focusing on my CSD coursework was a better use of my time and energy at this point. If I don't get accepted this year, I will spend next fall prepping and see if I can get my math and AW scores up. I'm graduating with my 2nd bachelor's at the end of this semester so I won't have any CSD courses to worry about unless I want to take some electives.

1 hour ago, Crimson Wife said:

Originally took the GRE my senior year of my 1st undergrad degree at age 21. Got a 720 (out of 800), which was 83rd percentile. Wish that score wasn't long expired!

Took it again last year at age 39 after only prepping the verbal and no special prep for the math, though I have homeschooled my kids 1st grade through algebra 1. Scored a 154, which was 56th percentile. I decided that focusing on my CSD coursework was a better use of my time and energy at this point. If I don't get accepted this year, I will spend next fall prepping and see if I can get my math and AW scores up. I'm graduating with my 2nd bachelor's at the end of this semester so I won't have any CSD courses to worry about unless I want to take some electives.

That is a really great score for not studying. What grade is Algebra1? (I have not heard this term before). You are an inspiration. I'm already starting to consider other careers as it's difficult for me to invest so much time in something that I am not sure is going to work out or not at this age.  I will however plod on and study for the GRE as I don't want to have regrets about not trying. Are you able to find work with your CSD in your state if you don't get in for SLP. I live in New York so even becoming an SLPA is not an option.

Algebra 1 is 8th or 9th grade in the U.S. depending on the school. I think most countries outside the U.S. start covering the material in 6th or 7th grade (age 11 or 12) but as they integrate it with geometry and other topics, it's split up over multiple years. I homeschool my kids using Singapore Math and algebra 1 is split up over Singapore 6, 7, and 8. My oldest has gotten past the point where I could teach her math and she's now dual-enrolled at the local community college.

Algebra 1 is basic linear equations, inequalities, graphing equations, solving multiple equations by adding/subtracting them, factoring polynomials, the quadratic equation, etc. I'm  shaky on the harder topics and relied heavily on the teacher's manual in Singapore 8. If I wanted to get my GRE quant score up, I'd have to really study those harder algebra 1 topics and algebra 2.

My backup plan is doing a master's in Deaf Education at one of the programs that has a Listening & Spoken Language emphasis rather than an ASL emphasis. Way less competitive admissions but the flip side is that ToDHH's earn a lower salary than SLP's. For example, in my daughter's district, ToDHH's with a Master's start out at $57.5k while SLP's start out at $75.3k. Still more than a SLPA (around $20-$25/hr in my area) and with guaranteed time-in-service salary increases.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:28 PM, Crimson Wife said:

Algebra 1 is 8th or 9th grade in the U.S. depending on the school. I think most countries outside the U.S. start covering the material in 6th or 7th grade (age 11 or 12) but as they integrate it with geometry and other topics, it's split up over multiple years. I homeschool my kids using Singapore Math and algebra 1 is split up over Singapore 6, 7, and 8. My oldest has gotten past the point where I could teach her math and she's now dual-enrolled at the local community college.

Algebra 1 is basic linear equations, inequalities, graphing equations, solving multiple equations by adding/subtracting them, factoring polynomials, the quadratic equation, etc. I'm  shaky on the harder topics and relied heavily on the teacher's manual in Singapore 8. If I wanted to get my GRE quant score up, I'd have to really study those harder algebra 1 topics and algebra 2.

My backup plan is doing a master's in Deaf Education at one of the programs that has a Listening & Spoken Language emphasis rather than an ASL emphasis. Way less competitive admissions but the flip side is that ToDHH's earn a lower salary than SLP's. For example, in my daughter's district, ToDHH's with a Master's start out at $57.5k while SLP's start out at $75.3k. Still more than a SLPA (around $20-$25/hr in my area) and with guaranteed time-in-service salary increases.

Thanks for the detail. Looking at your scores, I think you should get into an SLP program somewhere. Even your backup career sounds like a good pay. DH recently advised me to apply for social work as a backup option and applications are due soon. It feels like a huge compromise compared to SLP but I may just do it.

I'm 30 and I would say the math portion was harder to prepare for. Math and science always came easier for me in high school, but I didn't need much math in college. Now I did better on the verbal portion of the test. The big thing with math is you have to be "in practice" and it's difficult to re-learn a lot of material in a short period of time. I used Magoosh too and I really liked the program. I just wish I gave myself at least 6 months to prepare. I only gave myself 3 months, and it just wasn't enough. My advice would be to make sure you really understand a concept before moving on, and always go back to old material and do practice problems. I found that I would get a concept and do well with it, but then I didn't retain it all come test day. I recalled going over the material, but didn't always remember how exactly to do the problem. 

Also, when deciding on schools to apply for, I noticed some schools seemed to care more about the verbal scores - but not all. Best of luck!

On 1/20/2017 at 3:35 PM, Alicia124 said:

I'm 30 and I would say the math portion was harder to prepare for. Math and science always came easier for me in high school, but I didn't need much math in college. Now I did better on the verbal portion of the test. The big thing with math is you have to be "in practice" and it's difficult to re-learn a lot of material in a short period of time. I used Magoosh too and I really liked the program. I just wish I gave myself at least 6 months to prepare. I only gave myself 3 months, and it just wasn't enough. My advice would be to make sure you really understand a concept before moving on, and always go back to old material and do practice problems. I found that I would get a concept and do well with it, but then I didn't retain it all come test day. I recalled going over the material, but didn't always remember how exactly to do the problem. 

Also, when deciding on schools to apply for, I noticed some schools seemed to care more about the verbal scores - but not all. Best of luck!

You are right .....I also spoke to a few schools who said that although they look at the overall score, the verbal is more important. Thank you

I am 33, and I recently took the GRE for the first time.  Although I got straight A's in math in highschool and tested out of any math requirement in college... that seems like a looong time ago.  I have been working in the field of mental health, and I am an avid reader.  Therefore, I did quite well on the verbal side without any study at all.  However, I did put forward what felt like a monumental study effort on the quantitative side and still scored on the low side.  I echo the importance of beginning to study and work problem sets well in advance of the test day if at all possible.  I did not do that (because of living overseas / work situation / lack of study materials and time, etc), and I really only gave myself 2.5 months to study.  I admit that I regret that, because "refreshing" on math would take more time than I originally anticipated.  Therefore, if I do not get in to any programs this application cycle, I will plan to begin a long-term study plan for a second try at the GRE.  Oh joy!

When I took the GRE, it'd been 20 years since my last math class which was Calculus 2. I'd recommend Magoosh, too. I didn't spend lots of time focused on math because it's not that important to most SLP programs as long as you meet the minimum. the good thing about Magoosh is that it will tell you what level and what types of math problems you're missing. Focus on the medium and hard ones and let the very hard ones go. 

Career-changer here! My GRE experience was stressful mostly because I didn't realize how high security the test facilities are. They make you clear out pockets, did a metal detector scan of my body and I had to repeat the process when I stepped out for a break. 

I took an online practice test with Princeton Review that came with a $40 book. They gave detailed categories of the math topics I needed to work on - attached is a copy of my practice test results. They also gave personal feedback on my essays. This allowed my to focus on how to take the test, how to utilize the scratch paper and what to study. They also gave strategies on how to answer questions and how to mark questions to go back and check. I liked practicing the test on the computer in the format that the actual GRE is in. Also took practice tests with ETS online. 

In the end, I raised my verbal score two points, didn't increase my math, and raised my writing one point. 

GRE Results 1 Prep Test - The Princeton Review.pdf

Edited by futureSpeechLP

I took the GRE 2.5 years ago as a 39 yo.  I could always hold my own in the maths in HS and college, but not gonna lie -- diving back in was tough.  I studied for about a year as well.  

My math score was nothing special -- 147. I was accepted into the only program I applied to which has about a 20% acceptance rate.  I think my educational experience, references and essay are what did it for me.  

One thing to consider is that ASHA requires you to have a Statistics course, so if you don't have that you might want to find a way to work on that.  You'll be getting it out of the way plus brushing up on a lot of math skills.  And try to look at all the math studying with a healthy attitude.  Although most of the subject matter itself isn't used in the field, it is working on memorization and problem solving skills, which I am needing in my studies today. For example, A&P of Speech was a lot of memorization, and Acoustics of Sound is physics based.  You will need an understanding of things like absolute value and standard deviations.

I used the $100 Magoosh plan, and did lots of practice questions on my weak areas from the free GRE study materials and second hand GRE review books.  I also had Algebra I & II  Cliff Notes books that I relied on quite a bit in the beginning to get going and spent a lot of time at Kahn Academy.

Good luck!

35 year old SLP masters student who is NOT a math person here. I was educated in Canada & am now in the U.S. I exclusively used magoosh & Kahn Academy, and was VERY happy with my results. Highly recommend. It just takes time.

And yes, it is ABSOLUTELY learn-able. If your perspective in terms of cognition aligns with fixed intelligence, you're going to want to address that internally first, because it will greatly hold you back - implicitly and explicitly :-) Incremental learning, my friend. It's the basis of the field!

Do you think Univ. take the student's age into consideration? I guess it could also be argued that "older" folks may possess more experience, but that experience did not help me when it came to those GRE questions. :(

Edited by WanaBSLP

@WanaBSLP I think it depends on the program. I had an interview yesterday at one school and the department chair told me they prefer students like me i.e.: people who are from a different field and have some life experience. I don't think that's the norm but there are definitely some schools that are more welcoming to non-traditional students than others. I was able to get a good idea from the open houses I attended.

22 minutes ago, ElKel87 said:

@WanaBSLP I think it depends on the program. I had an interview yesterday at one school and the department chair told me they prefer students like me i.e.: people who are from a different field and have some life experience. I don't think that's the norm but there are definitely some schools that are more welcoming to non-traditional students than others. I was able to get a good idea from the open houses I attended.

I agree with you. I've been told by multiple people in speech departments that they like the "off track, out of field applicants" 

On 2/4/2017 at 0:44 PM, already40 said:

I took the GRE 2.5 years ago as a 39 yo.  I could always hold my own in the maths in HS and college, but not gonna lie -- diving back in was tough.  I studied for about a year as well.  

My math score was nothing special -- 147. I was accepted into the only program I applied to which has about a 20% acceptance rate.  I think my educational experience, references and essay are what did it for me.  

One thing to consider is that ASHA requires you to have a Statistics course, so if you don't have that you might want to find a way to work on that.  You'll be getting it out of the way plus brushing up on a lot of math skills.  And try to look at all the math studying with a healthy attitude.  Although most of the subject matter itself isn't used in the field, it is working on memorization and problem solving skills, which I am needing in my studies today. For example, A&P of Speech was a lot of memorization, and Acoustics of Sound is physics based.  You will need an understanding of things like absolute value and standard deviations.

I used the $100 Magoosh plan, and did lots of practice questions on my weak areas from the free GRE study materials and second hand GRE review books.  I also had Algebra I & II  Cliff Notes books that I relied on quite a bit in the beginning to get going and spent a lot of time at Kahn Academy.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the replies. It makes me feel better about the GRE.

Already 40, congratulations on getting into the only school you applied to- that's inspirational.

I have been using CliffNotes too and it's really helpful to lay the foundations of basic math before going on to Magoosh etc. I'm planning to give myself about a year too but since we are allowed 5 tries a year, I will probably test after a few months to see where my scores are at. Did you also have a good GPA/relevant voluntary work experience in the field of speech pathology?