Any Older (30+) applicants out there

SarahBethSortino

I am 34, and applying to a couple MA programs and one MPA. I'm what you would call a "late bloomer". I began a degree in my early twenties, and dropped out soon afterwards. At that point, I clearly did not have the mindset or commitment to undertake a degree. Fast forward to today and here I am finishing my degree and waiting on responses to my applications.

One thing I'm seeing as I read through the forum, is how much easier this process is at my age than it would have been in my early to mid 20s. Yes, I'm stressed out about the process, but I also have enough life experience to know that this PhD thing isn't me, it's something I want to do. When I see how some other applicants are personally invested in "being an academic," it makes me want to give them a hug and tell them to work a few years and come back when they've learned a little bit more about what makes them happy. I hear what people say about starting a career path in your 40s. That it can be detrimental to your career (maybe.) But locking yourself into a career path by mean of a PhD when you haven't had a chance to experience much else can be detrimental to your sense of self.

I'm not trying to be patronizing, but I'm wondering if other people in this thread get what I'm trying to say. 

I do. Again, I'm wanting to study for its own sake. I have a full life, busy, writing and traveling. The MFA would be a great experience but it's neither going to make nor break me. I'd recommend folks to live a little before trying to settle into academia, explore, work, lose something or someone, and then try again. There's a huge world out there, go play and then come back. 

I started my Masters a couple of years ago. It was a small cohort and several of us were non-traditional. About half of us were working as a priority during the program. One of the ladies held a fulltime job and has kids at home, so I think that says a lot about her ability frankly. There were people like that in the cohort for the year prior as well. I made sure I would have zero exterior priorities during this program and that's how I'm entering a PhD (if I get accepted), but I know that not everyone can do that. I also would not be offended if someone asked me about my exterior priorities and if I had children, because I do understand that as a question of whether or not you understand a- what your priorities are and b- how to manage them. One of the members of my cohort, for example, has very few external priorities but is constantly complaining about how overwhelmed, exhausted, overworked, busy, stressed out, etc. she is, when she literally has the least on her plate of everyone in the room. I think they just want to hear how you talk about your time and personal management skills.

Someone else mentioned the GRE, that was also hard for me. It had been awhile for math... I had to study big time for that. It was a little stressful, but I planned far enough in advance that I had time. Unfortunately, I took it that first semester when they changed to the new test system and the newly instated computer algorithm graded my written essays (poorly). Sigh.

My masters program seemed pretty fluid (maybe diverse is a better word) about demographics, maybe they are used to mixed age, etc. cohorts, I don't know, but I didn't notice any particular skew. There is one person older than me and a couple more about 30, I think. The cohort's pretty small and the rest are spread around in the mid to late 20s. The cohort before mine had an older average age. I think half of them were over 30 or 35. The gender ratio among grads was pretty even too, which is odd for the social sciences which tend to be heavily female biased. And about half of the cohort were minorities. Also, there was a good representation of individuals who grew up in non-elite environments, so, uh, we could keep the conversation "real" if you know what I'm talking about. I think that's the hardest thing for me frankly, when I'm in a class with a bunch of young, entitled, callous people. Well, that's all I'm going to say about that.

There are a lot of non-traditional students at my current university so I don't feel strange about it.

Edited by redikulus

So happy to find you all!

Approaching 40 here, two young children, and both exhilarated and terrified of leaving the world of work and salary for a new town and poverty. Last time I was in grad school, I was young, with no ties, and I didn't think twice!

Now there are so many factors and complications. I always wanted a PhD and then all of a sudden I realized it had better be soon or it may be too late. Several mentors in their 50's and 60's have told me that not pursuing one is their biggest regret, so I take solace in that. 

Edited by hopefulPhD2017

Hi everyone! I'll be turning 30 in July, right before I'll be going to school. Luckily it's just me and the dogs that will be moving, and I'm ready for a big change. This will be a change in location for me, as well as a new career path. I think depending on which school I go to, I might not be much older than a lot of the other students. MSW programs have a lot of career changers, so that is helpful too. 

On 2/6/2017 at 3:18 PM, rheya19 said:

One thing I'm seeing as I read through the forum, is how much easier this process is at my age than it would have been in my early to mid 20s. Yes, I'm stressed out about the process, but I also have enough life experience to know that this PhD thing isn't me, it's something I want to do. When I see how some other applicants are personally invested in "being an academic," it makes me want to give them a hug and tell them to work a few years and come back when they've learned a little bit more about what makes them happy. I hear what people say about starting a career path in your 40s. That it can be detrimental to your career (maybe.) But locking yourself into a career path by mean of a PhD when you haven't had a chance to experience much else can be detrimental to your sense of self.

I'm not trying to be patronizing, but I'm wondering if other people in this thread get what I'm trying to say. 

I definitely get what you're trying to say. I took nearly 5 years off before I did my MA. I worked full-time through the entirety of my undergraduate years and I was burnt out, not to mention not entirely sure I wanted to get a graduate degree in psychology. I'm so glad I took that time off. I matured so much, professionally and personally, and ended up completely changing my field of study. 

I have to giggle a little bit at the apparent perception that people 30+ are this ancient demographic. I remember regarding people in their 30s very much the same way when I was 21, 22. Then you get there and you realize: it happens so quickly, it's not like you wake up at 30 and suddenly you're old. The only real change for many people is an increase in confidence and self-awareness. The point I'm trying to make is that you're not so different at 30 than you are at 21 with regard to ambition, love of learning, etc. I can't say for sure how ad coms or employers look at you, but it bears mentioning that 3 of my graduate professors were in their late 30s before they completed their PhD, and many of the PhD graduates at my commencement ceremony were in their 50s and 60s. 

On that note, I've noticed a lot of "college is necessary right after high school" propaganda-koolaid drinkers in the millennial population. And I feel kind of sorry for them. Because I really am glad I worked and supported myself for a while when I was younger and actually know how to navigate the work force, and get promoted for solely merit-based reasons. When I was younger, it seemed like there was less people who thought they were just entitled to a job, or entitled to a promotion based solely on some factor or other. That's a new thing and I feel sorry for the kids I'm in school with because they have no understanding of reality. Two people in my masters with me, a guy in his late twenties and a girl about 30, both complained that no one ever taught them how to do anything before they ended up in the world on their own. I guess the difference is that, as a gen-x-er, that experience happened when I was a teenager, so by the time I was their age, I was a pro at taking care of myself. That was normal for a lot of people my age. I get the sense parents "protect" their children now by not teaching them anything. I feel really bad for them.

I feel the same way. Left home at 18 and traveled Europe with no money, studied at London University for four years working in a bar, and then came to the US. No credit cards, no back up, just came...I like that I learnt at that age to take care of myself. Nowadays, I talk to friends here and it's all about how the kids want the parents to pay for the phone, car, school and not work. Although, I guess that's going to be the middle class kids right? if you're poor, you get a job and take it from there. A good friend of mine who wrote one of the references grew up in Denver with her mom, and when we met, she was 41, two kids, full time job and studying for a Phd. She got it too. She's a role model. I should tell her one day! 

Yeah, I guess I know some people like that too who are young, but like you said, they are poor and won't be going to college for a variety of issues related to that. So, they know how to take care of themselves, are good workers, and have a lot of common sense, but will never be in college unless they go late like I did. However, from experience, the typical college student is really frustrating to be around when you have real world skills, and now the college classes are being dumbed down to their level, it can be really boring at times.

Nice to find this 30+club!  It is never too old to dream! I have worked for about 8 years after getting my BA degree and taken a 2 year's gap year of world traveling. Hopefully, now I find what I really like and come back to school again. For me, graduate study is not only for the education, but also for a new life experience to live in a new challenging culture which is totally different from my homeland.

32 and applying for PhD here. Finished my BA at age 24. Finished my MS at age 27. What will I do 5 years from now when I am a Dr and pushing 40? Well, I hope that by then I will have both education and wisdom, and not freak out as much. That I will become better at advocating for myself and my career goals. And that I will be doing something that is my "true calling" - so I can look back and see that all paths led me to here. 

Kudos and respect for all who are doing this after the age of 30, 40, 80, etc. I feel like a young 20 year old again :-)

Accepted: 0/7 
Waitlist: 1/7
Rejected: 1/7

Nothing yet: 2/7

Interviews: 3/7

Edited by patient0

Last week, on my 51st birthday, I was accepted into a PhD program for School Psychology. I am beyond happy. I had a 20 year, very successful career before returning to finish my BA 2 1/2 years ago. My children are grown (my youngest getting his BA one week before me) and my husband and I are able to relocate. I feel incredibly fortunate to have this opportunity at this stage of my life. I am doing this for myself and because I want to make a difference. I hope to enter the world of academia since I would love the opportunity to conduct research and train future school psychologists. I love my exposure to younger students and I think it provides a mutually beneficial relationship. In addition, I am hopeful that I am setting a great example for my kids and my 8 year old granddaughter. Can you tell that I am loving this??  Congratulations to all of the "older" students posting here. 

4 hours ago, AuntieGrandma said:

Last week, on my 51st birthday, I was accepted into a PhD program for School Psychology. I am beyond happy. I had a 20 year, very successful career before returning to finish my BA 2 1/2 years ago. My children are grown (my youngest getting his BA one week before me) and my husband and I are able to relocate. I feel incredibly fortunate to have this opportunity at this stage of my life. I am doing this for myself and because I want to make a difference. I hope to enter the world of academia since I would love the opportunity to conduct research and train future school psychologists. I love my exposure to younger students and I think it provides a mutually beneficial relationship. In addition, I am hopeful that I am setting a great example for my kids and my 8 year old granddaughter. Can you tell that I am loving this??  Congratulations to all of the "older" students posting here. 

wow congrats!!!!! 

Hey all,

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I'm 38 and anxiously awaiting to find out whether or not I'll be starting a PhD program next fall. I only applied to one school (University of Washington) and holy moly am I nervous. I've decided that if I don't make it in, I won't be attempting this again. I actually almost didn't apply this time--a mentor of mine talked me into it 6 days before the application was due! That helped with the anxiety a bit--I didn't have too much time to obsess--but ohhhhhh I'm in it now.
I've followed a rather......curvy....road to where I am now. I'm just finishing up my MSW/MPA with an additional certification in Global Public Health at UW. I also work doing anti-poverty research at the university. I actually didn't finish my undergrad degree until just after I turned 36! I was fortunate enough to graduate from that program while living in Spain with my 2 year old who is absolutely the reason I'm on this path at all. As much as this has been an incredibly unconventional approach, I feel so fortunate to have done it this way. Being a single parent has focused me on stability while still engaging in adventure, security while pursuing my passions, and pushing hard while still taking time to enjoy the moment. 
Every once in awhile I certainly feel like the ol' lady in my current programs, but it's nice to have some perspective--it's a little hard to panic about midterms when I have so much 'real life' to be concerned about. Anyhow, my program said they will be letting us know their decision by "middle February, maybe earlier." For some totally unscientific reason I've decided that means we will know tomorrow. I REALLY hope I'm right. 

8 hours ago, AuntieGrandma said:

I love this! I'm SO glad that you're dedicating your passion and work to our growing ones. Thank you!

1 hour ago, hopefulPhD2017 said:

@AuntieGrandma congrats and you win a prize for hilarious user name!

That name is thanks to my brother who waited so long to have kids that I became a grandma first. To keep the kids from being confused, we went with Auntie Grandma! ?

Some of these posts make me think about this lady at my school. She's about 75 and she's been slowly plowing through her Masters degree for years. She lives on campus with the kids, and she's always there, slowly walking to class, or sitting somewhere doing her homework. One year I had a dorm apartment across from her and that's how I got to know about her. I think she might be the oldest person at school and she appears to work harder than most of the freshmen. I think it's pretty cool. I feel pretty old sometimes, but that keeps it real to me. And also reminds me to hurry up already. I have a couple professors who tease me about my age whenever they see me. "When are you going to graduate?!!" Whenever I feel annoyed by the kids in my classes, I remember how hard it must be for her...

On 2/6/2017 at 3:18 PM, rheya19 said:

I also have enough life experience to know that this PhD thing isn't me, it's something I want to do. 

Absolutely this.
We have already defined ourselves, family & careers, we are doing this because we want to.

18 hours ago, AuntieGrandma said:

I had a 20 year, very successful career before returning to finish my BA 2 1/2 years ago. My children are grown (my youngest getting his BA one week before me)

I know that feeling. I didn't finish by BA until I was 52, and was hoping that my daughter & I would finish our master's together this year, but she decided to take an additional year so that she could finish 2 different concentrations.

Anyway - 55 now, finishing my masters in May and straight onto the PhD in the fall.

12 hours ago, Emarouk said:

As much as this has been an incredibly unconventional approach, I feel so fortunate to have done it this way. Being a single parent has focused me on stability while still engaging in adventure, security while pursuing my passions, and pushing hard while still taking time to enjoy the moment. 

Emarouk, YES! This is just how I feel too.

I love how you've set up these dichotomies on stability and adventure, security and passion. This is exactly the household culture I have tried to establish for myself and my young child, and I feel so fortunate for having the freedom to embrace our unconventional life. One of the luxuries of being a "family of two" is that it gives us the liberty to roam around the world doing just as we please (and by "doing just as we please" I do mean: engaging in community building work that pushes back against structural injustice, and, you know, other stuff that's fun for preschoolers). 

Also like you, I started out all nonchalant about this application process and now I'm totally obsessing! Every day I think that today's got to be the day for some good news. 

Best wishes that UW comes through for you soon!

1 hour ago, Plane_Jane said:

Emarouk, YES! This is just how I feel too.

I love how you've set up these dichotomies on stability and adventure, security and passion. This is exactly the household culture I have tried to establish for myself and my young child, and I feel so fortunate for having the freedom to embrace our unconventional life. One of the luxuries of being a "family of two" is that it gives us the liberty to roam around the world doing just as we please (and by "doing just as we please" I do mean: engaging in community building work that pushes back against structural injustice, and, you know, other stuff that's fun for preschoolers). 

Also like you, I started out all nonchalant about this application process and now I'm totally obsessing! Every day I think that today's got to be the day for some good news. 

Best wishes that UW comes through for you soon!

I hope your programs come through too!

And those are our kind of "what we please" activities too! I love that my daughter has been part of this process with me. She graduates from preschool at the same time that I finish these master degrees. The dean from one of my programs said to bring her and they'll have a little paper diploma to give her when we BOTH walk across the stage. I was so touched.....this has been her life as much as it has been mine for the last three years.

On 1/22/2017 at 11:54 AM, Caveshvig said:

Hello All:

I'm 45+ and just applying to PhD programs. I have cycled thru a number of different careers (Military, Geologist, HS Teacher) - I just tell folks I don't know what I want to do when I grow up!  Anyway, I did sweat the age thing in applying. However, I don't think I am seeing any evidence of a negative from it. I applied to five different schools (well, actually finished that many apps): two MS, three direct to PhD. One of the MS programs accepted almost immediately back in October. Just got acceptance from the firrst PhD program (major player in the field, R1, guaranteed support for five years). So, keep your head up - it can definitely work!

A question though: This R1 acceptance... The research at this place is not precisely what I would like (more BioChem and Drug research). One of the other programs has a research focus I am more interested in. BUT... that other program is smaller, newer, and maybe less stable. Definitely less well funded. I'm pretty sure I am going with the safer bet but would like to solicit comments and suggestions.

Thanx,

CaveShvig

Thats a tough one. If I get admitted to some of my programs I'll probably have to make the same decision. I would say though that I would take the program that speaks more to your interests, not just the program that has the better reputation. My top choice is not the top university I applied to, but if I get accepted I will absolutely go because I'm going to be at this for a looooooong time. I want to be in the program that makes me happy and speaks to my academic interests. You will likely have a better experience.