How many grad schools did you apply to?

11 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Yes I did. I actually sent my last two documents a few days ago. But I didn't realize that there was nowhere to submit it online. So I had to send it via mail. I'm hoping they receive it by tomorrow. And I actually just emailed them tonight about the status of my application and it gave me the same message about the 3-5 business days. Oh and how come you sent your documents via email instead of mail? 

When I went to an open house the woman from admissions who was running it said it was okay to send certain things to the grad admissions office via email. I had already submitted most of my documents in the mail at that point, but I was editing and over-analyzing my statement of purpose down to the wire so I figured email would give it a better chance of getting there on time (not the case apparently!). It's surprising to me that they don't have a fully digital application the way Hunter does, but they did mention at the open house that they were working on it for next year.

If you sent things in by mail a few days ago I'm sure they've received by now! If anything is still showing up as not received in your account, you could try emailing Michelle Tuitt at the admissions office. She was really helpful to me when I reached out with questions and responded pretty quickly.

I applied to 14, haha. I was feeling pretty mediocre about my stats. I also felt financially stable and had the time to apply to that many, where next year I am not sure if I would have been in the same position. 

On 2/1/2017 at 10:16 AM, ElKel87 said:

When I went to an open house the woman from admissions who was running it said it was okay to send certain things to the grad admissions office via email. I had already submitted most of my documents in the mail at that point, but I was editing and over-analyzing my statement of purpose down to the wire so I figured email would give it a better chance of getting there on time (not the case apparently!). It's surprising to me that they don't have a fully digital application the way Hunter does, but they did mention at the open house that they were working on it for next year.

If you sent things in by mail a few days ago I'm sure they've received by now! If anything is still showing up as not received in your account, you could try emailing Michelle Tuitt at the admissions office. She was really helpful to me when I reached out with questions and responded pretty quickly.

Yeah I was editing mine up until close to the end as well. I haven't been able to talk to anyone particularly helpful via email and my documents are still showing as not received on the website :( I got a response from Rob Smith (Coordinator of Graduate Admissions) and he was not very helpful at all. Didn't even answer my questions. Do you know Michelle's email? I tried a google search and got nothing

7 hours ago, ElKel87 said:

@SpeechLaedy Ugh that's so frustrating. Michelle's email is MTuitt@brooklyn.cuny.edu, she's the Associate Director of Admissions. I hope they're able to track down your stuff - sending positive vibes! 

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! She responded IMMEDIATELY to my email!! You saved my application!! :D :D

2 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! She responded IMMEDIATELY to my email!! You saved my application!! :D :D

Ah I'm so glad it worked out!!! Maybe this will earn me good karma points aka an acceptance at one of the schools I applied to ;)

I decided to apply for 10 programs. I live in CA where it's super competitive, so I decided to branch out and also apply to out-of-state programs this round. Last year I only applied for 3 in-state programs. I'm feeling relieved since it seems like many others applied to similar numbers on this thread. It was exhausting to keep up with 10 programs, their deadlines, and requirements. 

2 hours ago, panda1991 said:

I decided to apply for 10 programs. I live in CA where it's super competitive, so I decided to branch out and also apply to out-of-state programs this round. Last year I only applied for 3 in-state programs. I'm feeling relieved since it seems like many others applied to similar numbers on this thread. It was exhausting to keep up with 10 programs, their deadlines, and requirements. 

Omg YES. I hear you about it being exhausting keeping up. Smh. Hopefully we'll get accepted somewhere!

On 2/4/2017 at 3:40 PM, SpeechLaedy said:

Omg YES. I hear you about it being exhausting keeping up. Smh. Hopefully we'll get accepted somewhere!

Thanks! I really hope so. It's so expensive applying!

On 2/4/2017 at 0:59 PM, panda1991 said:

I did the same as you!! Where in CA are you from?

On January 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM, SLPtobe1093 said:

I applied to 10! I may apply to 1 more because I'm not confident that I'll get in anywhere :/

1. Kean University
  2. Monmouth University
  3. Seton Hall University
  4. Mercy College
  5. Molloy College
  6. LIU Post
  7. LIU Brooklyn
  8. Touro College
  9. Hofstra University
  10. Nazareth College

Hi! I also applied to Mercy College. This past weekend I toured the campus and I thought it was beautiful. I am from Florida so the atmosphere is very different to what I am used to. Do you know anyone that attends Mercy College or the graduate program? I would love to learn more about it from someone who lives in New York. 

Americans seem to apply to a lot of schools. I'm Canadian and I don't know anyone who applied to more than five. I personally applied to three (McGill, Alberta, Carleton), though I was close to doing a fourth and fifth (Toronto and SFU). With applications being $100-200 each and me being a pauper preparing to haul their entire life back across the Pacific, costs were kind of a big factor in my decision making.

27 minutes ago, victoriaaa said:

Americans seem to apply to a lot of schools. I'm Canadian and I don't know anyone who applied to more than five. I personally applied to three (McGill, Alberta, Carleton), though I was close to doing a fourth and fifth (Toronto and SFU). With applications being $100-200 each and me being a pauper preparing to haul their entire life back across the Pacific, costs were kind of a big factor in my decision making.

Yeah the app fees were about the same for the schools I applied to. I saved all my paychecks for a couple months to pay for them. I live in NY which is particularly competitive and with my subpar gre scores I wanted to up my odds being that the odds of getting into the schools themselves are horrendous. Out of the 8 schools I applied to, about half or a little more than half have acceptance rates in the SLP programs of 8-13% of applicants. The rest were about 20-30%. Schools in other areas have much higher percentage rates of acceptance so ppl who live in those areas (and have stats more in range of what those schools accept) may not have to apply to as many. But I made the effort to try my best to afford up to 9 schools because I wanted to try my hardest to get into a school this semester. Really praying I won't have to apply again 

1 hour ago, victoriaaa said:

To be fair, there are >250 programs in the states and all of 7 (I believe) programs in English in Canada.

1 hour ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Yeah the app fees were about the same for the schools I applied to. I saved all my paychecks for a couple months to pay for them. I live in NY which is particularly competitive and with my subpar gre scores I wanted to up my odds being that the odds of getting into the schools themselves are horrendous. Out of the 8 schools I applied to, about half or a little more than half have acceptance rates in the SLP programs of 8-13% of applicants. The rest were about 20-30%. Schools in other areas have much higher percentage rates of acceptance so ppl who live in those areas (and have stats more in range of what those schools accept) may not have to apply to as many. But I made the effort to try my best to afford up to 9 schools because I wanted to try my hardest to get into a school this semester. Really praying I won't have to apply again 

Man, that sucks. I think our acceptance rates can be about the same depending on which school and what program you're applying to, but I haven't heard from too many people who didn't get in anywhere. I'm seeing lots of really qualified people in the results pages who are getting turned down from every school, which just really shouldn't be happening. Obviously, people who aren't qualified for the programs they're applying to are going to get turned down, but if you meet or even exceed every school's requirements, to not get into a single one just blows my mind. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

32 minutes ago, babykoala said:

To be fair, there are >250 programs in the states and all of 7 (I believe) programs in English in Canada.

More than 7 for English, but second language education (my field) does have much fewer, yes. You guys down south have a lot more options available to you, and I suppose competition would be higher with a bigger population. Still crazy to see people applying to ten schools and not getting into a single one. I'm praying for all of you!

14 hours ago, VitaSineLitterisMorsEst said:

"Two? What do you mean you only opened two?" Willy Wonka.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously though, I envy you; part of me feels like I wasted way too much money when I can only go to one.

Haha, Willy Wonka is so creepy.

I only applied to 2 because I'm unable to relocate right now, and I can't afford out of state tuition for online programs. Luckily, I have already received one acceptance. If I hadn't been accepted, I would surely be kicking myself!! :) I think those of you who applied to several schools made a smart choice.

On 2/1/2017 at 10:29 PM, jmk said:

I applied to 14, haha. I was feeling pretty mediocre about my stats. I also felt financially stable and had the time to apply to that many, where next year I am not sure if I would have been in the same position. 

Wow! 14! Honestly if I had the finances to do so I'd have probably done the same because my stats are considered mediocre for speech as well. Which schools did you apply to? 

Edited by SpeechLaedy