If a program is your top choice, let them know.

overunder

This may be obvious to some of you but I'll say this anyways. 

If a program is truly your top choice, and if you will say "YES" if an offer was extended, LET THEM KNOW one way or another.

As an applicant 5 years ago, I let my top choice know that if they made me an offer, I will accept. They did, and I did.

Now as a faculty, I ask applicants how they would feel if we extended an offer, and you bet I will make the first offers to someone who I know will say YES first. 

Now, obviously, I'm not advocating you lie. In academia, everyone knows each other and false promises may come back and hunt you. But if you have a top choice in mind, don't be shy in letting them know that. A lot of the times, the top 2~4 candidates are equal, and in those cases, one bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush. 

I have received this advice and used it as well! For both grad school and postdoc applications. 

Question for @bakerstreet163 and other faculty members though: What if the faculty member/interviewer doesn't ask? What's a good way to bring it up without being too "pushy". So far, I don't volunteer the information unless asked, but I try to incorporate other things into my interview responses that correctly conveys how excited I would be if I had an offer!

I think there are still ways to convey your interest. You can talk about how much the research culture fits your goals, you can talk about how great the location is for your hobbies, you can talk about how much interest you have with collaboration. Pick a specific aspect of the program and location, and talk as if its the best thing since sliced bread.

Honestly, this advice applies to all your applications, even the last choice, you should never let the selection committee think "hm... I'm not sure if he wants to come here". You'd be surprised at how many graduate applicants and even job applicants give off this impression. 

The fact is, you want to be there enough to fork over the cash right? If nothing else, practice your impression management skills. You can think about fit and make your decision after you have an offer in hand. Before that, you are not in the position to be picky. Its a skill that you will need again when you are on the job market. So why not start practicing now? 

4 hours ago, bakerstreet163 said:

I think there are still ways to convey your interest. You can talk about how much the research culture fits your goals, you can talk about how great the location is for your hobbies, you can talk about how much interest you have with collaboration. Pick a specific aspect of the program and location, and talk as if its the best thing since sliced bread.

Thanks! That's what I've been doing so far. I'm glad that I resisted the urge to just blurt you "You're my #1 choice, I would love it here soooo much!!!!" when they did not ask about it. 

My research advisor told me to do precisely not this. Every faculty I've asked has said s/he hates it when applicants email them unsolicited after applications are starting to be evaluated, and that it only hurts the student's chances, never helps. One downright told me her division of our department thinks it looks pitiful/desperate. I'm an undergrad at an R1 top ~15 university, for reference.

Interesting how much variance there is in opinion on this!

3 hours ago, veileddreamer said:

My research advisor told me to do precisely not this. Every faculty I've asked has said s/he hates it when applicants email them unsolicited after applications are starting to be evaluated, and that it only hurts the student's chances, never helps. One downright told me her division of our department thinks it looks pitiful/desperate. I'm an undergrad at an R1 top ~15 university, for reference.

The advice I got was not to do this unsolicited, but instead to do this during an interview stage or in some conversation with the professor. 

3 hours ago, veileddreamer said:

I think the OP was referring to during interviews ie if you are invited to an in-person and the POI is trying to gauge how invested you are in a program vs other interviewees.

Cold contacting a POI though, yeah its bad form unless its a top choice and you want to keep their interview date free.

Do you guys think it's a big deal if you don't do this? My top choice POI has recommended me to the admissions committee but after reading this thread, I'm terrified that I didn't show enough excitement/interest. I did send a really enthusiastic thank you email after the interview that mentioned some of my favourite parts of her research/the program, but I didn't mention that it's my top choice or anything. 

I know it probably doesn't even matter at this point because her recommendation has been submitted, but application season has turned me into a crazy person and I'm irrationally afraid that she'll change her mind haha

I said my top choice was my top choice during my interview and my PI mentioned in my acceptance email that my enthusiasm was a factor. Also, academia can be a cruel world with more negative feedback than positive. I've never met an academic who didn't love a little tasteful flattery/ego stroke. ;) 

Oh yeah for sure! In the context of an interview, if it's your top choice, throw that in there. I've been told this before by a previous mentor - he was pretty emphatic about it.

My top choice POI that I interviewed with recently asked me, "So what are the things that drew you to apply here?" and my honest response was "You and your research!", followed by the appropriate "diversity of the program's training and opportunities for my development as a scientist/practitioner" etc etc. I wanted to make sure she knew that I was interested and would accept an offer if she were to extend it. Also, I was recommended to use prospective language when interviewing and asking questions. Situate yourself in the program.

"As a student here, _________"

"If an offer were extended to me, ____________"

"Were we to work together, _____________" 

And stuff like that! :) 

11 hours ago, researchjunkie said:

Also, I was recommended to use prospective language when interviewing and asking questions. Situate yourself in the program.

"As a student here, _________"

"If an offer were extended to me, ____________"

"Were we to work together, _____________" 

And stuff like that! :) 

This is also great sentences to use when writing your SOPs. And I certainly used them in the research proposals of my postdoc applications :)

My top choice is UC Irvine Psychology and Social Behavior with a particular POI. I had a brief email with CV attached with reasons why I was interested in working with her (before application time) and she quickly replied back that I had "very interesting experience and she looked forward to seeing my application". I have not contacted since for fear of being annoying. There are a couple of acceptances so far but seems most responses have not been sent out. This is my top choice as a research institution and my POI's work is very closely aligned with mine though the department operates on collaboration but not true mentorship. Do you think that is worth reaching out to just say something? Or should I just wait it out as I do not want to appear annoying? I did receive an encouraging email from the dean, provost in December complimenting my academic achievements and a big "THANK YOU" in the subject line. not sure that means anything really.  

14 minutes ago, Sneidinger said:

My top choice is UC Irvine Psychology and Social Behavior with a particular POI. I had a brief email with CV attached with reasons why I was interested in working with her (before application time) and she quickly replied back that I had "very interesting experience and she looked forward to seeing my application". I have not contacted since for fear of being annoying. There are a couple of acceptances so far but seems most responses have not been sent out. This is my top choice as a research institution and my POI's work is very closely aligned with mine though the department operates on collaboration but not true mentorship. Do you think that is worth reaching out to just say something? Or should I just wait it out as I do not want to appear annoying? I did receive an encouraging email from the dean, provost in December complimenting my academic achievements and a big "THANK YOU" in the subject line. not sure that means anything really.  

Did you interview there or are candidates recommended for admission without interviews? If interviews are required for your evaluation and you haven't received one then I would say don't contact the POI until you have another offer. Then you'll be able to explain the situation and it looks more genuine rather than being antsy. If you have interviewed and waiting on admission results then it should be fine. If interviews are not required then it gets tricky and I'd advise contacting the department coordinator first and then POI if they aren't certain. HTH and best of luck!

21 minutes ago, 8BitJourney said:

Did you interview there or are candidates recommended for admission without interviews? If interviews are required for your evaluation and you haven't received one then I would say don't contact the POI until you have another offer. Then you'll be able to explain the situation and it looks more genuine rather than being antsy. If you have interviewed and waiting on admission results then it should be fine. If interviews are not required then it gets tricky and I'd advise contacting the department coordinator first and then POI if they aren't certain. HTH and best of luck!

yah interviews are not required. they have not released any results really except some rejections, a waitlisted person and 1 or 2 acceptances. other than that there are no other results for my department..Psychology and Social Behavior

I'm not sure, but Irvine did hold interviews, so I think it that if they didn't invite you, it may be a bad sign (it's not a rule, but generally if a program holds interviews, it's best to consider that they probably rejected you if they didn't invite you to interview, some programs do just accept people though but then they seem to do so across the board).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

3 hours ago, Sneidinger said:

yah interviews are not required. they have not released any results really except some rejections, a waitlisted person and 1 or 2 acceptances. other than that there are no other results for my department..Psychology and Social Behavior

I would say then to contact the program coordinator just to clarify and if they don't know then reach out to your POI. Best of luck, its such a vague stressful process.

3 hours ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

I'm not sure, but Irvine did hold interviews, so I think it that if they didn't invite you, it may be a bad sign (it's not a rule, but generally if a program holds interviews, it's best to consider that they probably rejected you if they didn't invite you to interview, some programs do just accept people though but then they seem to do so across the board).

I am several thousand miles away in Kansas City MO. I have had contact with POI and got an email from the Dean late December. It was positive feedback on both so hopefully I am still in the running. I do have back up plans if I were to not be accepted but they have not released much in my department. Also there were other departments at UCI that did not do interviews. They would have likely done a phone interview if anything from what I have seen from acceptances at UCI. Hopefully my exceptional experience in research and current Master's program 4.0 will give me and edge. So fingers crossed!!! Wish me luck!