How soon is too soon to visit a school?

magpin

I am currently considering applying for a program that would begin in Fall 2018. I already have an advanced degree and am in the workforce, and my largest concern is really whether or not plunging back into school is worth it (financially, professionally, etc.). Under the circumstances, this would likely be the only school I would apply to, so it is really important that this particular program is a good fit and is beneficial to my career. Basically, I want to figure that out before going into the application/GRE/letters of rec process and getting too too excited, but I feel kind of silly asking to tour 1.5 years before I would even attend? Thoughts?

I think given your circumstances it makes sense to be in communication with the program later this spring and over the summer to see about visiting or at least speaking with faculty on the phone or via Skype. I'd make sure you explain to the DGS the circumstances you've mentioned here when you initiate the conversation. I'd also maybe wait until early April so that the students starting in fall 2017 are situated already.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:37 PM, rising_star said:

I think given your circumstances it makes sense to be in communication with the program later this spring and over the summer to see about visiting or at least speaking with faculty on the phone or via Skype. I'd make sure you explain to the DGS the circumstances you've mentioned here when you initiate the conversation. I'd also maybe wait until early April so that the students starting in fall 2017 are situated already.

Ah right, I forgot that I should probably wait until the current application is over. Thanks for your feedback!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought here, some schools start applications very early for the next year. A fellow student is starting her application now as her top pick opens in June for fall of 2018. This isn't too standard from what I can tell, but time slips by quickly, September will be here before we know it! 

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2017 at 11:16 AM, magpin said:

I am currently considering applying for a program that would begin in Fall 2018. I already have an advanced degree and am in the workforce, and my largest concern is really whether or not plunging back into school is worth it (financially, professionally, etc.). Under the circumstances, this would likely be the only school I would apply to, so it is really important that this particular program is a good fit and is beneficial to my career. Basically, I want to figure that out before going into the application/GRE/letters of rec process and getting too too excited, but I feel kind of silly asking to tour 1.5 years before I would even attend? Thoughts?

I am in a very similar situation.  I am applying for admission Fall 2018, am currently in the workforce, and trying to balance the cost of (possibly multiple) college tours with the potential benefit.  Did you decide to visit the school you were applying to?  I was planning to visit my top choice, but was wondering if I should visit one or two others given that I know very little about those schools beyond the website and even less about the cities.

What program/school are you applying to?

Edited by DirectorsCoffee

On 7/9/2017 at 7:35 PM, DirectorsCoffee said:

I am in a very similar situation.  I am applying for admission Fall 2018, am currently in the workforce, and trying to balance the cost of (possibly multiple) college tours with the potential benefit.  Did you decide to visit the school you were applying to?  I was planning to visit my top choice, but was wondering if I should visit one or two others given that I know very little about those schools beyond the website and even less about the cities.

What program/school are you applying to?

I currently put my applications on hold because I'm trying to figure out the best approach to my career as a whole. I also work full-time and already have an advanced degree, so I want to be sure that going back to school actually furthers my career (rather than putting me further in debt for no discernible reason). The degrees I was referring to specifically in this post was UPenn's historic preservation or city planning program, but my heart (and academic background) leans more toward art history, so I'm currently in the midst of that existential crisis haha

Because I'm only considering applying to schools within commuting distance of Philadelphia, there is less risk for me terms of traveling expenses for schools/programs I'm uncertain about. If you are unsure of your chances at your top choice, I would maybe visit the others just in case you ended up having to choose between them? Basically, if you think visiting would change your mind or bump up your chance of admission for any reason, it could be worth it but it depends on the time and resources available to you.

I'm mostly nervous about whether visiting a school while I'm still figuring out whether I'm interested in pursuing the degree will impact my chance of admission. From a logical standpoint, it seems to me that people should be encouraged to visit a department/program to investigate whether it's a good fit for them, but, realistically, I imagine that programs may end up putting far more stock into students who were decisive and confident? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2017 at 11:16 AM, magpin said:

Hey! I am also interested in getting my MA in Art History, but I do not know if that is the right degree for me.  I guess, speaking of personal experience of my college life, I think applying as early as possible is best - waiting at the last minute doesn't seem like a possibility here, since your thinking about it now, but it is never to early to visit.  You may not speak with faculty; pick outa faculty advisor; or determine which Museums you would like to do your fellowship in, BUT you can at least visit different areas, see what the Universities are like to apply to, and get a sense of where you want to live, and what type of art you want to study.  I personally am interested in understanding the dynamics between feminism and art, and how activism can be used in art, but I think that is a very broad scope, and determining that would be difficult for me, since I want to move to an urban area, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  I definitely suggest that if you have the financial means to do so, that you try to do it, and give yourself options as to where you want to move to, and what schools you want to apply to.  I cannot create or make art, so if you can create or make art, it would be beneficial if you make a portfolio.  Even if the program does not require it, it would be great if you made one - it might strengthen your application.  Good luck! Urban areas, tend to have the most to offer in terms of Museums, and Philadelphia has a lot of Museums, but they do not have the schools I am looking for in terms of application: I am considering Boston, MA.  Which is somewhat nerve racking but exciting.  I have only been there once, and it was when I was a child, and I do not remember much.  

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, magpin said:

I feel kind of silly asking to tour 1.5 years before I would even attend? Thoughts?

I have done this, and it hasn't phased programs at all. They love the thoroughness, extra motivation, and responsibility it demonstrates.

I told programs that I am planning to attend a program in 2-3 years, but I want to really see what would be the best fit and find out how to be a competitive applicant (in the years I'll be prepping). One school pushed for me to apply ASAP, but another school was so thrilled that she took extra time evaluating my resume to provide feedback.

On 2017-02-10 at 11:16 AM, magpin said:

When I was considering doing my MSW in Ottawa, I visited the school many many months before even applying. The university covers fees for transportation for out-of-town prospective students. It's never too early I'd say!