How long are you waiting?

monkeefugg

Historically, my top choice program sends out admits in early/mid-February, and two others notify in late February, so at least I'll know soon what the verdict is from some of my schools. If I don't make it into any of those, there's no point in hoping for the ones who notify in March!

Edited by rwfan88

Historically, my top choice program sends out admits in early/mid-February, and two others notify in late February, so at least I'll know soon what the verdict is from some of my schools. If I don't make it into any of those, there's no point in hoping for the ones who notify in March!

I"m in the same boat..

I finished all of my applications by thanksgiving.. so the wait has been excruciating!!!

Well, my application deadlines were almost all December 15th (Berkeley was one day later and Stanford was December 8th). According to the results here, three of the schools to which I applied have sent either acceptance or interview notifications to some people already in the last week (none to me, unfortunately :P) unless you count CMU's computer science program separate from the machine learning program (probably sensible) since I didn't apply to general CS there at all.

So yeah, I'm starting to freak out a little tiny bit now that I know people have started hearing good things from these schools and I haven't :P

I expect to have heard back from everyone by the first week of March. However, I should hear informally from UMass sometime this week (eek!)

I'm mostly anxious about my boyfriend hearing back, especially from OSU. He's had positive feedback and might hear mid-Feb if someone he's been in contact with gets a sneak peek of the admit list. It's driving me crazy having two people to worry about!

Based on the results page, I was expecting to not hear back about any of my programs until at least mid-February. Then, out of the blue, I got an acceptance yesterday.

Guess they like to keep you on your toes...;)

My application deadlines ranged from December 1st to January 15th, however I had all my apps in by Dec 4th. Based on the results page and my own experience last year I should hear back anytime from a week ago to early April...ugh! Almost two months down, two months to go...

should have applied in ML @ CMU.

I wonder if I made the right decision about which programs to apply to at CMU. I only applied to PhD in machine learning and PhD/MS in Language Technologies. Didn't apply to general CS and didn't apply to any master's program. I mean, my interests are certainly more geared towards either the ML or LT programs, but what if those are somehow more selective? Plus I should have applied to more master's programs in general to give myself more options if I don't get into a PhD program somewhere...

I wonder if I made the right decision about which programs to apply to at CMU. I only applied to PhD in machine learning and PhD/MS in Language Technologies. Didn't apply to general CS and didn't apply to any master's program. I mean, my interests are certainly more geared towards either the ML or LT programs, but what if those are somehow more selective? Plus I should have applied to more master's programs in general to give myself more options if I don't get into a PhD program somewhere...

hehe. Don't worry buddy. I applied to CS (system) but for some weird reason I put Tom Mitchell 's name as one of the reviewer of my application. Funny.

You made the right decision. Now the adcom needs to make the right decisions by enrolling u ;)

I hope Tom Mitchell is smart enough to realize your value @ CMU.

Haha, yeah, hopefully he'll think I'm really cool :) Good luck and hopefully Tom Mitchell will just not little enough about systems to think that your research statement is groundbreaking whether or not it actually is haha.

Also I just noticed this when I went back to my CMU application:

You may not select both the Ph.D./M.S. and the M.S. programs for the Language and Information Technologies (LTI) program. If you select the Ph.D./M.S. in LTI, your application first will be considered for admission to the Ph.D. program. If you are not accepted to the Ph.D. program, then your application will be considered for the M.S. Program

So apparently I'll be considered for that master's program anyway, which is good. Plus I'm sure several other schools will probably do similar for those applying for a PhD (I remember some schools had checkboxes on the applications that asked if you wanted to also be considered for a master's degree).

Haha, yeah, hopefully he'll think I'm really cool :) Good luck and hopefully Tom Mitchell will just not little enough about systems to think that your research statement is groundbreaking whether or not it actually is haha.

Also I just noticed this when I went back to my CMU application:

You may not select both the Ph.D./M.S. and the M.S. programs for the Language and Information Technologies (LTI) program. If you select the Ph.D./M.S. in LTI, your application first will be considered for admission to the Ph.D. program. If you are not accepted to the Ph.D. program, then your application will be considered for the M.S. Program

So apparently I'll be considered for that master's program anyway, which is good. Plus I'm sure several other schools will probably do similar for those applying for a PhD (I remember some schools had checkboxes on the applications that asked if you wanted to also be considered for a master's degree).

you are lucky. I envy you. I don't want to do 2nd Masters :(

Oh, have you already done one? I'm applying as an undergrad, so as long as I can get funded for it somehow, a master's isn't too bad a thing for me to settle for...

yes.

I found some result posting in previous years that some people got Masters admission in Cornell ( ECE ) even though they applied for PhD and they had a Masters degree.

This is even worse than getting no admission.