Wenner Gren

tidaktahu

On 2/23/2021 at 12:07 PM, lemepris said:

Received email informing that I've made it to Stage 2 at 8:22 ET. I can also see one review on the portal

Hi, is there an actual review for you to see? Mine only says "Recommended for further review". I got this exact sentence last round, when I made it to second round, but was rejected afterwards.

I was wondering whether there is a correlation between getting real reviews on Round 1 and getting accepted.

Last year my project got very poor grades, but useful reviews after the second round. I assume I made it to Phase 2 as an international applicant to get reviews and impove my applicantion for ressubmition, as WG is clear about its willingness to foster Anthropology worldwide.

Thoughts on any of this? Specifically, on the relation between geting reviews on stage 1 and getting funded?

• 4 weeks later...

Any ideas when we might get their decision? In the email we got on Feb 23rd, it said that we would again hear from them 2 to 3 months later. But that seems very late... I remember that somewhere else they said they would try to notify us of their decision at least two weeks before the next deadline. On the application portal, I saw that my application was modified 3 times in the last few days, so I guess all the reviews are in...

Edited by localjustice

On 3/25/2021 at 5:13 AM, localjustice said:

Same here. I think they didn't take applications in May, so I guess that the number of applications will be higher (but so will the overall funding amount). I try not to think too much about it but it's nerve-racking... 

I also believe the number of applications will be higher, since there was only one deadline for 2020. But I also think that under covid19 evaluation criteria will be different and we cannot guess anything till we get reviews back.

I am not sure how they will take into account the Plan A x Plan B we sent in our apps. Because COVID-19 situation is rapidly changing and widely varied in the whole globe...

I guess we have to wait.

7 hours ago, anthopo_from_the_sourh said:

I also believe the number of applications will be higher, since there was only one deadline for 2020. But I also think that under covid19 evaluation criteria will be different and we cannot guess anything till we get reviews back.

I am not sure how they will take into account the Plan A x Plan B we sent in our apps. Because COVID-19 situation is rapidly changing and widely varied in the whole globe...

I guess we have to wait.

Indeed, it's a bit of a mystery! And yes, there's nothing much we can do apart from waiting ? 

On 3/25/2021 at 3:28 PM, localjustice said:

Any ideas when we might get their decision? In the email we got on Feb 23rd, it said that we would again hear from them 2 to 3 months later. But that seems very late... I remember that somewhere else they said they would try to notify us of their decision at least two weeks before the next deadline. On the application portal, I saw that my application was modified 3 times in the last few days, so I guess all the reviews are in...

Same here! Last update on 23 March. They might be on track for 15 April, fingers crossed for all of us!

On 3/26/2021 at 1:32 PM, anthopo_from_the_sourh said:

I guess we have to wait.

I am not so sure. Judging by my university, most people shifted to online methods with little or no costs associated to fieldwork. There's also the challenge of justifying the research (and ethics) in the middle of a pandemic. I might be very wrong, but I don't think the number of applications was crazy high?

12 hours ago, theamazonianist said:

I am not so sure. Judging by my university, most people shifted to online methods with little or no costs associated to fieldwork. There's also the challenge of justifying the research (and ethics) in the middle of a pandemic. I might be very wrong, but I don't think the number of applications was crazy high?

True! I have to admit that finding "good" reasons to ask for the same amount of money for plan B as for plan A was quite a challenge... I'm pretty sure I will carry out plan A because as well my research participants (in Southern Africa) as my university are ok with it. :) What's it like for you? I sincerely hope you will be able to do what you want! Fingers crossed 

2 hours ago, localjustice said:

True! I have to admit that finding "good" reasons to ask for the same amount of money for plan B as for plan A was quite a challenge... I'm pretty sure I will carry out plan A because as well my research participants (in Southern Africa) as my university are ok with it. :) What's it like for you? I sincerely hope you will be able to do what you want! Fingers crossed 

I really don't have a clue if there were more or less applications submited on this season. I am not pursuing my PhD in an American university, and most students don't seek for international funding, so I can't judge based on my doctorate cohort or anything like that.

It really was a struggle to come up with a plan B budget thar matched what I asked for on plan A, for sure!

I live close to my research participants, and I will carry out fieldwork in the same country where I live and study. Maybe for this exact reason (and because it is a country where the pandemics is being managed extremely poorly by the government) I am not too confortable carrying out plan A for now. But scenarios move fast, and in February I was able to visit my research participants, but not at all now in March. And I tried digital methods last year, and I simply can't come up with a reseach design that foregoes regular fieldwork, or at least, some visit to local archives.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Ying88 said:

Anybody hear anything from the 2020 Nov deadline? I believe we will get an email later this week?

No, not yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait until the beginning of next week. But the wait will be over very soon, that's for sure :) Good luck to all!