Hi everyone!  I can't find a forum for this, but wanted to know what to do/ if anyone else has gone through this.  

My undergrad GPA is above a 3.5; however, CSDCAS calculated my undergraduate GPA to be 3.45..... does anyone know if schools base their decisions off of this or my actual transcript?  I'm freaking out because the 3.5 cut off is critical and they just put me under it.  I'm calling them tomorrow, but am unsure as to if this happens to everyone or not.

Is 3.45 your overall GPA, your undergrad GPA or both?  I wouldn't worry about it -schools are already looking at applicants.  CSDCAS actually calculated mine higher than my transcripts as my undergrad school did not count my study abroad grades in my GPA but CSDCAS must have.  CSDCAS calculated my graduate GPA slightly lower but my overall one ended up better than I expected. 

Did you ever retake any classes? I retook a sociology course- first grade was an F, second grade was an A. My school did grade replacement so the F "disappeared", but CSDCAS states that it takes both grades & calculates them. 

Thus- my cumulative at my university is slightly higher than my CSDCAS cumulative. 

Edited by jmk

1 hour ago, Afternoonprogram said:

Is 3.45 your overall GPA, your undergrad GPA or both?  I wouldn't worry about it -schools are already looking at applicants.  CSDCAS actually calculated mine higher than my transcripts as my undergrad school did not count my study abroad grades in my GPA but CSDCAS must have.  CSDCAS calculated my graduate GPA slightly lower but my overall one ended up better than I expected. 

My undergraduate GPA is actually a 3.51, so I was confused to see the 3.45.  And alright, thank you.  I was worried that 3.5 cut off would not care for my application if schools only consider the CSDCAS calculated GPA instead of my actual transcript.

50 minutes ago, jmk said:

Did you ever retake any classes? I retook a sociology course- first grade was an F, second grade was an A. My school did grade replacement so the F "disappeared", but CSDCAS states that it takes both grades & calculates them. 

Thus- my cumulative at my university is slightly higher than my CSDCAS cumulative. 

Oh I see!  I re-calculated it with re-taken classes and it still doesn't make any sense!  Even when they broke down specifically my math courses, they added in the credits that transferred from high school.  So a B- in calculus from high school (that transferred in for only credit) and my A in Statistics from my actual university.. but somehow instead of a 3.26 together they made it a 3.03... I definitely am puzzled about their process.

@kab_futureSLP Have you taken any Post-Bacc classes (at the bottom it says out-of-field applicant).  CSDCAS averaged together any class I ever took (for a degree or not) -I assume most schools will look at my overall GPA (not just my undergrad).  I also couldn't figure out exactly what CSDCAS did with plus and minus grades.  Edited to add: Can't figure it out -were both classes 3 credits?  I guess if I one class was less credits than it wouldn't average the same.

Edited by Afternoonprogram

5 minutes ago, Afternoonprogram said:

@kab_futureSLP Have you taken any Post-Bacc classes (at the bottom it says out-of-field applicant).  CSDCAS averaged together any class I ever took (for a degree or not) -I assume most schools will look at my overall GPA (not just my undergrad).  I also couldn't figure out exactly what CSDCAS did with plus and minus grades.  Edited to add: a B- would be a 2.75 right?

No Post-Bacc classes, but that makes sense.  I'm not sure what scale they use, but it might be lower than average per each letter grade.  I'll call tomorrow, but I can't figure out their calculations.  Either way, the B- as 4 credits and A as 3 credits should average to about a 3.26.  Seems that they might consider some grades differently than most scales would.

I'm in a similar bind with my undergrad/overall GPA from CSDCAS.  Except it's with a much lower GPA.  Before CSDCAS, my cumulative undergrad GPA was 3.03 and the CSDCAS calculation marked it down to 2.97.  Most of the schools I applied to have a 3.0 cut-off for admittance.  (i'm hoping they look at the last 60 units where I have a 3.9 GPA, or at my CDS GPA of 4.0)  I emailed all of the schools that I applied to that it might affect if my application gets looked at or not and there was a variety of responses.  For the most part the responses were ambiguous as to whether or not they'll truly consider me.  One school said too bad (wow.  That was awful), another went out of there way to let me know I'd still be considered because they were uninformed about the way CSDCAS calculates GPA.  It's worth a shot at emailing the programs you're worried about.     

9 hours ago, SLPsingballs said:

I'm in a similar bind with my undergrad/overall GPA from CSDCAS.  Except it's with a much lower GPA.  Before CSDCAS, my cumulative undergrad GPA was 3.03 and the CSDCAS calculation marked it down to 2.97.  Most of the schools I applied to have a 3.0 cut-off for admittance.  (i'm hoping they look at the last 60 units where I have a 3.9 GPA, or at my CDS GPA of 4.0)  I emailed all of the schools that I applied to that it might affect if my application gets looked at or not and there was a variety of responses.  For the most part the responses were ambiguous as to whether or not they'll truly consider me.  One school said too bad (wow.  That was awful), another went out of there way to let me know I'd still be considered because they were uninformed about the way CSDCAS calculates GPA.  It's worth a shot at emailing the programs you're worried about.     

Woah. What school said too bad?? That's horrible!

You might want to check out the CSDCAS GPA Instructions; it breaks down what numeric value they give your grades (ie. your school might say a B+ is a 3.5 but CSDCAS is a 3.3) and exactly how they do the math. Might help figure out where they got your numbers: https://portal.csdcas.org/csdcasHelpPages/instructions-and-faq/e-submission-payment/grade-point-average-gpa-calculations/index.html