Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Misssaharai, 

Indiana-Bloomington has a great program, and a very generous stipend. I made it to the final interview last year but unfortunately was not chosen. Hoping to apply there again. My list this year is NYU, Juilliard, Yale, Columbia, Arizona State, Ohio, Indiana, and SFSU.

Good luck with your other schools!

• 2 weeks later...

Just in the interest of putting some positive energy out there, I want to say something nice about the staff at USC, who have been nothing but friendly and accommodating through the process so far. 

Also, there isn't much traffic on here lately...is anyone out there?

All my apps are in! Hooray!

Trilogyfan, I second the sentiment about USC-- I went to USC for undergrad, and everyone at USC is just really wonderful. Their MFA Dramatic Writing program is fantastic (albeit lesser-known than some other programs). 

And Missshari-- I took the GRE last month! Studying for the math section was slightly horrible, but it was definitely good to open up opportunities to apply to schools that require the GRE. Best of luck on the GRE!

All applications in for me except Ohio! Anyone else applying? They ask for two scripts but there doesn't seem to be a way to upload more than one. 

Visiting CMU this weekend to meet a few people there -- anyone else apply to their program?

Hello out there- fellow playwrights!

I'm hoping three times a charm for me...I've been close (waitlisted) for my dream programs before and now I'm hoping I get in.

Here's my list:

Juilliard

UT Austin (Michener Center)

Yup, I'm a masochist.

How are you guys feeling out there? The waiting game is starting to gnaw a bit for me. And, it's just the start.

Anybody apply for the O'Neill? Has anybody heard? A buddy of mine made it to the semi-finals and he was told they were still reading pieces.

Crossing fingers for all and for all a good night.

Zissou ~ Yes, the waiting can be long. Sometimes I want April to get here already. At the same time, I have enough on my plate at the moment and would only drive myself crazy obsessing about it.

I applied to the O'Neill. Did you as well? I had forgotten about it until I saw your post! Don't they announce all the semi-finalists in one batch? I figure they'll make an announcement in their newsletter as well.

Time to get some shuteye!

Edited by EccentricDreamer

Hi Everyone,

I got a letter from the O'Neill yesterday. Despite being a rejection letter, there was a nice little "P.S." saying the readers really liked the script. I can never tell if that's written personally or just standard but meant to seem personal. 

I heard they got a ridiculous amount of submissions this year so I don't feel too badly.

Has anyone heard from schools?

Zissou--I and someone else I know are semi-finalists for the O'Neill and were told on the same day about two weeks ago, but also implored not to cause any panic by announcing it publicly as the semi-finalist notification is apparently a rolling process.  I think all semi-finalists will be notified by mid-February.  Good luck!

janesays -- I think you should feel really great about that note! No way they do that for everyone to seem personal; I'm sure many writers get the formal rejection.

No word from any schools yet, though I guess it's still early. I want to know NOW! Anyone who's been through this before have a rough timeline for when at least some schools tend to reach out?

Congrats teethwax. Northwestern looks like a great program. Hope everything goes well in the interview!

I have finished all my applications except Ohio. Is anybody else applying there? I don't know why they have such a late deadline, but it works for me. It gives me a little more time to buff up my application. My chosen schools this year were:

NYU

Juilliard

Yale 

Columbia

San Francisco State

Indiana Bloomington

Arizona State

Where did the rest of you applied to?

Go teethwax go!

miranda, I also applied to Ohio -- I just submitted yesterday. FYI, you'll need to combine your two plays into one pdf to upload (you were right, janesays). I am now done! Final list:

Brown

Brooklyn

Carnegie Mellon

Iowa

Indiana Bloomington

Ohio

I got a chance to visit CMU and speak with a few students and Rob -- seems like an amazing place to be, a great and supportive program and lots of chances to play with other theater departments. It seems like they want me there. I'm a bit scared to get into more debt though, which I'd have to for that program (but only 2 years, vs. 3). Even more reason I'm desperate to start hearing back from everyone else! I hate this waiting game.

Congrats Teethwax! 

This is my first time to applying to grad school. My BA is in journalism but I fell in love with theatre many years ago. 

The schools I applied to:

NYU

Juilliard

Brooklyn College

Yale

Letting the days pass now. What else can one do? Oh, I know, read lots of plays!! 

Continued success and good luck to everyone out there. There's so much helpful advice and encouragement in this forum.

I'm applying to Yale, Brooklyn College and NYU, second time for all.  Two years ago I got an interview at Juilliard (only place I applied then/have not reapplied there)--hoping 3rd time is the charm!

Sorry about Michener, friends. I almost wish I had applied there so I would at least have one school's decision under my belt, good or bad. Anyway, chins up all, it is very early yet. More posts please! And if anyone has any info about where the schools are in the process or where they typically are this time of year, please share.