Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Just post your damn decisions already NSD! Gahh!

Update, I wish they hadn't posted decisions already, I would still be in the running. Another "no" for me.

Edited by Flyrail

I've been lurking in this forum for the past week, trying to figure out when Yale starts contacting finalists. I've also applied to Iowa, but they won't start their notification process until later this month. I don't suppose anyone's heard anything as of yet, positive or negative?

No, no, Stacey Rose. We're ready for it to be over so we can get busy planning the move to New Haven. It's not over yet! And TLG, I for one haven't heard a blessed thing from Yale yet either way. Fingers crossed for Monday.

I have an interview with The New School on Friday. Randomly met a grad in a bar... basically, it's a 24 hour play festival, so get ready to write something on the fly.

How'd it go? Did you fare any better than I? For future hopefuls who are looking at this site, the interview consisted of sitting down with Christopher Shinn and just sort of talking theatre for a few minutes, it was super informal and we barely discussed my work at all. I don't know what round two was like.

some potentially bad news, folks...i did a twitter search and it looks like a playwright got called for an interview at Yale on March 7.

update: she just confirmed for me it was, in fact, for playwriting. :-/

Edited by failsafe

more bad news for brooklyn college hopefuls (including myself), from the program coordinator there:

"Yes, we have notified all accepted and waitlisted playwriting applicants. All others will be receiving a formal letter in the next weeks.

Wishing you the best,

Helen "

Good luck, @TheLiterateGeek! At this point, I'm holding out for Columbia...although very timidly, now. It seems absolutely bizarre (and completely frustrating) to me to get an interview at Juilliard one year and then the next get totally shut out of less competitive programs with the exact same writing sample!

Update: Just got a very terse e-mail from theatre@columbia informing me official letters will be sent out within the month. quite sure official letter=rejection letter. I'm out too, @sam757.

Edited by failsafe

Wowyeah. This is a pretty depressing day, despite some really positive feedback and encouragement as I submitted my applications.

First thing: Twitter stalking? Very impressive. NEVER EVEN CROSSED MY MIND TO investigate. I did and unfortunately now it's pretty clear that I'm out of the running on the only option I had pending at this point.

SO.

I'm thinking about my back-up plan: regroup and reapply for Fall 2013. I was told I need a "self-imposed writing residency" that is to say - time to JUST focus on writing. I spread my time across a lot of mediums AND there is of course a day job required to support myself so my next move has got to be to hunker down, focus on just one thing. Work a dumb job, live very simply (save up money), and write like a motherfucker. I think for me in particular I only get quality when I get quantity in terms of pages.

I know from insider scoop that this year was incredibly competitive for a lot of schools. We blew their MIiiiNDS. I hope everyone reading this and maybe feeling as glum and defeated as I do still feels proud of their work and accomplishments. I am 8 years out of school, published, produced (my writing sample is actually a finalist for two very big playwriting conferences/festivals) and clearly still have a long way baby. Time to focus on the work now. The reward will be a 2-3 year vacation, to ahem, do MORE WORK. Either way - we're working right?

Edited by heckleher

Hi Jam2011-

I applied to Ohio University's program. It's a really amazing MFA program - from what I can tell. They have some great alumni, and they are very warm and engaging. From what I've heard, they are also closely linked to theaters in Chicago.

Heckleher - I've also been out of school for eight years, and this is my second time applying to schools. At the end of the day, we're playwrights with or without an MFA. The work doesn't stop. I'm glad to hear we blew their minds. And next fall will be here before we know it, and applications begin again.

I just received my Yale rejection, too. I knew it was coming, but it still stings!

Janesays--

I heard from Ohio University on March 7th. I received a phone call from the head of the program telling me that they had made acceptance offers already (4), and that they were putting together their short list of 8 people. I was lucky enough to get on the short list, but I have not heard anything else since then.

You're right--the program sounds really awesome. I very much hope I get to move up off the short list, but I can't see all four people turning down their acceptances. We shall see...

Sigh.

Stacey Rose did not get into

Bard

Brown

The New School

or Yale this year.

She DID

Get a second grant (based on her merit as an artist)

Do a staged reading of her new play

Direct a wonderful play which allowed her to grow her skills as a director and human being.

Get selected as a Semi Finalist for the Black Male Achievement Fellowship

Interview for an AMAZING opportunity at NYU Tisch Asia

Parent a brilliant if some what worrisome young man

AND manage to feel her feelings, no matter what they were without the use of any mind or mood altering chemicals.

Accentuating the positive is no longer an optional in my life, it is a must.

Kudos everybody!

Edited by Stacey Rose

Hi Jam2011 - That's great about Ohio! I haven't heard anything, so I guess I was rejected.

Was also rejected from UCSD.

Ack. Why is this process so hard? I feel like I could be applying for a decade!

Hi Jam2011 - I just contacted Ohio, and they haven't made decisions yet. Since their deadline was March 1st (and due to confusion, March 15th on the official Ohio website), I can't imagine they let people know before the official deadline to submit.

Are you perhaps thinking of a different division of the school or Ohio State?