Playwriting MFAs

dampka

From what I have gathered, it is very common to get rejected the first year that you apply and schools like it when people reapply because it shows a commitment to both your craft and the school. This is my first year applying, and I expect to get rejected, but I also plan on contacting the schools and seeing how I can improve for next year.

Hope this information help!

Thank you very much, Emily! Your post made me feel better. I guess I just wish there was some sort of personal

contact from the schools, getting a form rejection letter is frustrating. It's such a personal process, so it sort of

feels like yelling into the wind.

Thank you again, good to hear!

Jane

Hey all,

My UCSD interview was wonderful. I'm sure that it would be difficult to have an unpleasant visit with the group of professors who run that program. I'll let you all know when I hear back, probably within 2-4 weeks. Any other UCSD applicants/interviewees out there?

(oh yeah, and I got my Brown rejection too. but that's ok :)

-Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm interviewing at UCSD for the directing program next weekend, and I'm very excited. How long was your interview, and do you have any tips based on how your interview went? Best of luck to you!

Hey all,

My UCSD interview was wonderful. I'm sure that it would be difficult to have an unpleasant visit with the group of professors who run that program. I'll let you all know when I hear back, probably within 2-4 weeks. Any other UCSD applicants/interviewees out there?

(oh yeah, and I got my Brown rejection too. but that's ok :)

-Rob

hey everyone-

thanks for the words of encouragement.

directeur- do you know who you are interviewing with? i would recommend taking a look at the campus map, and getting there early enough to find your way around. if you are driving, parking can be tricky. if you take the bus or a shuttle, make sure you know the schedule. everyone is ratcheting up for the end of the quarter, AND getting ready for the Baldwin Festival, so things were a bit hectic during my interview, but that allowed me to see the department in full swing. let me know if you want any more info ( i did my undergrad there, so i know a few of the directorial faculty)

-rob

I haven't heard from any (Yale, Texas or Iowa) so I'm taking that as a bad sign because it's getting a little late in the game. Oh, well. I suppose there is always next year!

what schools has everyone heard from?

I got a rejection via e-mail from the Michener Center. Really bummed out. But hey- they only take two, right? I haven't heard from Juilliard or Yale. Has anyone else been called to interview for Yale? I'm happy for the friend that received an interview, but I'm taking it as a bad sign if that was weeks ago. Fingers crossed and congrats to those that got in!

Lindsay

Schools heard from:

UCSD- interview

Brown- rejection

Nothing from anyone else yet (Yale, Brooklyn, Iowa, Northwestern) but they do tend to do "rolling" responses, which means they respond and interview into the April in some cases. We are also getting close to end of quarter for some schools, midterms and play festival periods for others. So their resources might be stretched a bit.

-Rob

Just got an interview at Columbia as well! Feeling very excited.. Contacted New School, but they haven't given me a time yet. Haven't heard back. Spoke with someone there who said they are only taking RSVP's and will be giving times out later.

Hey gang! New to the forum-- couldn't stand waiting in a vacuum any more. I only applied to one school-- UCLA's playwriting MFA-- and I had an interview in mid-February. Has anyone heard from them? Anybody else interview? I saw that last year a rejection was sent out on the tenth! I know that applying to one school is a long shot but the program just sounded right up my alley. Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

K.

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to those getting interviews and notifcations! I have yet to hear anything from schools other than Brown and the Michener

Center. Getting a little worried...

I'd love to hear from Brooklyn, Hunter, Iowa or Ohio. Has anyone heard from other schools?

I heard that UCSD acceptances have gone out and that Texas has not brought any prospective students in for visits yet (last year it was the first week of April) although they may be interviewing. Still waiting on news from Iowa.