Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hey Dampka: Safe to assume they applied to the dramatic writing program at Tisch??? I did get the interview early last week...have those you've talked to heard anything?

I didn't get interviewed but I just got an e-mail saying I'm on the wait list. I have no idea how that works.

I didn't get interviewed but I just got an e-mail saying I'm on the wait list. I have no idea how that works.

Heya, honeysalt. Congrats on the NYU waitlist. It's an accomplishment in and of itself. I received my official rejection notification from NYU for dramatic writing yesterday by that good ol' "check this link email."

However, I was on the NYU waitlist myself last year. Of course (as is evident), space didn't open up, so I didn't get pulled (I received the official let-down sometime toward the end of September). However, I believe that there were waitlisters who were pulled sometime in May. So, my fingers are crossed for you (if that is where you want to go).

I also didn't receive a phone interview like other applicants before I was waitlisted last year.

Best of luck to you and everyone else still waiting for notifications from other schools.

Hey,

Any word from Yale, anyone? I am still waiting. Did it get lost in the mail? I don't want to write and be a nuisance, so I'm writing you all, here. Hope you've been getting good news.

Heya, honeysalt. Congrats on the NYU waitlist. It's an accomplishment in and of itself. I received my official rejection notification from NYU for dramatic writing yesterday by that good ol' "check this link email."

However, I was on the NYU waitlist myself last year. Of course (as is evident), space didn't open up, so I didn't get pulled (I received the official let-down sometime toward the end of September). However, I believe that there were waitlisters who were pulled sometime in May. So, my fingers are crossed for you (if that is where you want to go).

I also didn't receive a phone interview like other applicants before I was waitlisted last year.

Best of luck to you and everyone else still waiting for notifications from other schools.

Hey,

Any word from Yale, anyone? I am still waiting. Did it get lost in the mail? I don't want to write and be a nuisance, so I'm writing you all, here. Hope you've been getting good news.

Hey there I'm still waiting to hear from Yale and so is Basil. I've been wondering about the reliability of the mail myself! I think we'll hear something this week I hope. Good luck to you.

Hey there I'm still waiting to hear from Yale and so is Basil. I've been wondering about the reliability of the mail myself! I think we'll hear something this week I hope. Good luck to you.

yup. Still here... waiting. Glad to see one more is still waiting. One of my roommates keeps telling me my rejection must've gotten lost in the mail. : ) It's warm and friendly here.

Edited by basil

yup. Still here... waiting. Glad to see one more is still waiting. One of my roommates keeps telling me my rejection must've gotten lost in the mail. : ) It's warm and friendly here.

Oh my goodness! All three of us! Lost in the mail...

This is terrifying.

What should we do?

It's Thursday, April 1... Ahhh!

Good morning :-)

Thanks Amy, I hope Northwestern comes through for you. I didn't apply there. I'm waiting on Iowa right now. Should hear something very soon from them.

If nothing happens for us this year, there's next year and that means a whole year of adding good things to our resumes and a second chance knowing everything we know now about the process. This is a tough year, with more applicants than ever. I know I learned a lot. One big thing is applying to more than two schools! It's just coming up with the money for all those applications that's difficult for me.

Anyone out there who is waiting on Iowa the short list is in! There are eight on the list and four will be chosen. Thank god for some good news. I had to call to find out. The head will be calling the shortlisted for interviews very soon! Good luck to the rest of you waiting on programs.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyone!

Anyone here apply for Fall 2011 for their Playwriting MFA?

I am almost done with my applications and curious to hear if anyone else is in the same boat.

I've applied to UT Austin, Juilliard, Yale so far...

• 3 weeks later...

You and I are applying for the same three programs, my friend. This is my first time to this forum and would love any insight you might have about years past.

Did you apply to these same programs last year?

I applied and was rejected from Juilliard last May and I'm still feeling the burn. I did get a really nice letter from Tanya saying that they enjoyed my play...lil' hand written note. It was nice. But no interview.

Would love to hear from you...nice to know someone else is going through the exact same thing.

Hi Everyone!

Anyone here apply for Fall 2011 for their Playwriting MFA?

I am almost done with my applications and curious to hear if anyone else is in the same boat.

I've applied to UT Austin, Juilliard, Yale so far...

Hello!

I only applied to UT Austin Michener and was rejected. This year I'm applying to a lot of schools.

That's great about getting the note from Juilliard last year, that's a good sign...And I like

that they took the time to send you a handwritten note.

I just got a email inviting me to the a Juilliard Play Lab, I'm assuming everyone got that?

It's going to be cool to see regardless.

What's your playwriting background?

Hey!I'm definitely going to PlayLabs. I went last year and it was really inspiring. Not sure if everyone gets the invite...but its a safe assumption.

The letter was nice and has been my little silver lining. They might have done it for lots of folks, but made me feel like applying wasn't a waste of time and effort.

I've lived in Brooklyn for about six years now. I've had a bunch of shorter pieces done around town and one full length produced off-off-off- you know sluggin' it out down here. How about you? Where are you applying?

Did you get an interview from Michener last year? I'm trying to compile information so I don't lose my mind to anxiety. smile.gif

Hey!

I actually didn't get an interview at Michener last year.

I'm also planning on applying to Ohio and Iowa. Where else are you applying?

I've lived in NYC my entire life, with the exception of four years in Baltimore for college.

I've had several short one-acts produced in the city, and have had readings of parts of

my full-lengths.

I'm terribly anxious about this whole process as well - I have no idea if I really

stand a chance getting in anywhere. I don't know what my competition is like.

I've been writing a bit about my experiences on my blog,

janersays.wordpress.com

I'm curious to hear more about your experiences!

• 2 weeks later...

Count me in the Michener/Yale/Juilliard camp. I applied last year to Columbia & NYU as well, and the year before to Columbia (where I had a very strange interview -- Mr. Mee basically told me I was accepted before the interview started, then two weeks later I got a rejection letter...)

So here's fingers crossed this year. If anyone is curious, you can read some of my work here: http://tobyscales.com.

I've been in New York just over a year, had a few downtown theatre productions but nothing huge.

Here's hoping we ALL get in! :-)

Hey!

I actually didn't get an interview at Michener last year.

I'm also planning on applying to Ohio and Iowa. Where else are you applying?

I've lived in NYC my entire life, with the exception of four years in Baltimore for college.

I've had several short one-acts produced in the city, and have had readings of parts of

my full-lengths.

I'm terribly anxious about this whole process as well - I have no idea if I really

stand a chance getting in anywhere. I don't know what my competition is like.

I've been writing a bit about my experiences on my blog,

janersays.wordpress.com

I'm curious to hear more about your experiences!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...I didn't apply to the New School, but I think that's a good sign for your friend!

To those who applied to Juilliard - I'm going to sit in on the Play Lab tomorrow which

I'm very excited for. I'm asusming all applicants got invited but I'm not certain.

I haven't heard anything from anywhere I've applied to yet, but I suppose it is

only early February.

Sending good thoughts to all of us!

Did anyone apply to Northwestern's Dramatic Writing MFA? I just got an interview from them--excited , but definitely worried about funding, if it comes to that, as the word on them is that there's not much. Anyone know anything about this program?

Did anyone apply to Northwestern's Dramatic Writing MFA? I just got an interview from them--excited , but definitely worried about funding, if it comes to that, as the word on them is that there's not much. Anyone know anything about this program?

Alice,

Congrats on the interview. NW has a solid, career-oriented program. Chicago's theatre scene for young playwrights is unparalleled, and that alone should make up for any funding difficulties (although I suspect that NW DOES have more funding than they let on...)

Let us know how it goes! (oh yeah- and how did they notify you of the interview?)

-Rob

Edited by rizzorob