Playwriting MFAs

dampka

I heard back that NYU will be letting people know end of March before April 1st.

Yale did tell me weeks ago that I would hear something mid to late march. But I wondered if it was ba dnews that I hadn't been invited to interview yet.

I've contacted just about everyone I can think of at Brown, and the responses I get are not really giving me any answers (i.e. the department says they're waiting on the graduate school and the graduate school says that decisions for the program haven't been posted yet). I'm dying to find SOMETHING out, but I've probably done all the pestering I should for the time being. If you're feeling brave, though, you might try emailing Erik Ehn.

Hello everybody,

I've applied to Brown, Yale, Brooklyn and Iowa for playwriting MFAs. No word yet, no interviews.

Been trying to fight the anxiety of not knowing by working on my Plan B - What I will do if I don't get in anywhere. It helps, but it's hard.

I'll report when and how the axe falls.

Best of luck to everyone.

Blob

Hey gang,

Got my rejection from Yale today! :-(

Two to go, now. Just waiting on Columbia & Julliard.

New addition to the Yale rejection pile raising her hand here. The New School too. Got them both yesterday. Well, onward and sideways.

I got my Yale rejection letter last night, regular mail. I'm checking my e-mail now to see if there's anything Brown-related.

EDIT:

Got a rejection from Brown, too. Three down, two to go.

Edited by Amy Beth

I talked with SFSU and UCSD today they both said they are behind and that no news doesn't mean bad or good news it just means no news. Has anyone called Brown or Yale? I'm kind of a wimp and don't want to.

Thought I'd let you know that I did try to call Yale, and their admissions office had the phones go straight to voicemail. I imagine they're getting lots of calls right now. I still haven't heard anything from Yale or Iowa.

I got an email response from Yale. I asked if the interview timeline was the same as posted in an early email saying, late feb or early march to be contacted for an interview. I also asked where my application was in the process of things. The response was simply, "The final playwriting decisions will be made by the end of this month."

I got an email response from Yale. I asked if the interview timeline was the same as posted in an early email saying, late feb or early march to be contacted for an interview. I also asked where my application was in the process of things. The response was simply, "The final playwriting decisions will be made by the end of this month."

I got my rejection letter in the mail last week. I also found out Monday morning I got into Columbia! super excited about that.

So here is where I stand

Rejected from:

UTA

Yale

Brown

Interviewed with:

Columbia

New School

In at:

Columbia

waiting to here from:

New School (I should hear back from them this week)

Northwestern

UCSD (they interview and I haven't heard anything so I'm kind of assuming that's a rejection)

SFSU (They said they where behind)

NYU (said I should know by the 1st of April)

I got my rejection letter in the mail last week. I also found out Monday morning I got into Columbia! super excited about that.

So here is where I stand

Rejected from:

UTA

Yale

Brown

Interviewed with:

Columbia

New School

In at:

Columbia

waiting to here from:

New School (I should hear back from them this week)

Northwestern

UCSD (they interview and I haven't heard anything so I'm kind of assuming that's a rejection)

SFSU (They said they where behind)

NYU (said I should know by the 1st of April)

Congratulations!And I'm sorry to everyone else who has gotten their hearts broken in the last few weeks. Reading this long list makes me wish I would've applied to more than two schools. Last Humana Festival Chuck Mee was out here in Louisville. He seemed really interesting. I believe he's teaching at Columbia. I had dinner with a columbia playwriting student during the HUmana Festival and she seemed to be really happy with the program. Good luck to everyone like me who is still waiting.

Congratulations!And I'm sorry to everyone else who has gotten their hearts broken in the last few weeks. Reading this long list makes me wish I would've applied to more than two schools. Last Humana Festival Chuck Mee was out here in Louisville. He seemed really interesting. I believe he's teaching at Columbia. I had dinner with a columbia playwriting student during the HUmana Festival and she seemed to be really happy with the program. Good luck to everyone like me who is still waiting.

Congrats on Columbia, you not only get a tremendous school but a tremendous town full of literary lumber!

I have not heard from Yale yet either, though I cannot help but feel I am on rejection row.

I never received an email regarding a timeline for interviews. When did you receive that?

Congrats on Columbia, you not only get a tremendous school but a tremendous town full of literary lumber!

I have not heard from Yale yet either, though I cannot help but feel I am on rejection row.

I never received an email regarding a timeline for interviews. When did you receive that?

I applied online and at first there were a ton of emails regarding upload errors etc. But there was also a thank you for applying letter, and in that letter was the timeline. I don't know why, if we're rejected, we haven't heard anything yet. It's been another week since people first got letters. I am concerned with not having been contacted for an interview. Not sure if I should give up hope or not.

I applied online and at first there were a ton of emails regarding upload errors etc. But there was also a thank you for applying letter, and in that letter was the timeline. I don't know why, if we're rejected, we haven't heard anything yet. It's been another week since people first got letters. I am concerned with not having been contacted for an interview. Not sure if I should give up hope or not.

I know, I'm like: well, I haven't received notice, BUT, my phone aint ringing neither. I know a writer who went to Yale for playwriting and was accepted w/out interview (granted that was years ago and maybe she had high-profile recs or something). It's possible they're sending rejections in rounds, continuously narrowing the pool. It's possible too that you're being seriously considered. Who knows. Try not to lose heart or your sense of humor. To take some of the pressure off opening the mailbox everyday I hum the funeral march as I make my way to it :) I'll be thinking of you (whoever you are!) tomorrow. Remember, at the end of the day, we're all still writers.

I know, I'm like: well, I haven't received notice, BUT, my phone aint ringing neither. I know a writer who went to Yale for playwriting and was accepted w/out interview (granted that was years ago and maybe she had high-profile recs or something). It's possible they're sending rejections in rounds, continuously narrowing the pool. It's possible too that you're being seriously considered. Who knows. Try not to lose heart or your sense of humor. To take some of the pressure off opening the mailbox everyday I hum the funeral march as I make my way to it :) I'll be thinking of you (whoever you are!) tomorrow. Remember, at the end of the day, we're all still writers.

great idea. I've got to come up with my own song. You applied to Iowa too, didn't you? I think they're going to take a really long time if they're at all running things like they did last year. What's your plan so far if you don't get in anywhere? I did have some awesome recs and took a class with PV. But I learned a couple years ago that those recs. aren't always the ticket. PV actually sent me a letter of rec. to get me into an internship at Actors Theatre, and I never even got an interview. All fairness though, I didn't work very hard on my essay, because I thought a rec from her was gong to be my way in.glad I learned that lesson before applying to grad school. I'll be thinking of you as well, when I refresh my email 30 times.

Edited by basil

Bad news friends: a few people who applied to Tisch got called for interviews last weekend. Granted, this info is secondhand, but I trust the source.

Nothing from nobody today. . .