Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hey Rob-thanks for the thoughts on NWstern. The interview was very straightforward-four people via Skype, one of which was Rebecca Gilman, which surprised me, so be prepared for that if you get called. Questions were pretty straightforward and the interview was pretty quick, 15 minutes or so. I was notified by email on Wednesday for the interview Friday ( but from what I've heard, they notify people of and hold interviews into March and April.)

We'll see how it goes! thanks for asking!

Alice

PlayLabs was great! The play was beautiful, and the actors were really fantastic. It was an amazing, inspiring experience.

I got to meet Tanya, but very briefly. It was pretty awesome to see Christopher Durang as well!

Finger crossed :)

And about Northwestern, that's so cool about the Skype interview - especially that Rebecca Gilman was there.

She's one of my favorite playwrights.

I know someone who got his MFA in Theater Directing from Northwestern, and he was completely funded

and said everyone in the theater MFA program was. But I suppose the Dramatic Writing is different. I didn't

apply because of the funding issues, but it looks like a great program!

Glad to hear you had a great time. I'll let you know how the piece in March is...but I thought it was cool last year when I went.

Fingers crossed for all...Michener will call people by March 10th. Holy Crap!

Thanks for the info about your friend, Jane, and the good thoughts- totally understand not applying because of the funding. I'm hoping that I just figure out something if necessary.

That's amazing about seeing Christopher Durang.

Keep us posted on how things go with Julliard-good luck!

Alice

In the interest of sharing information for everyones benefit, I heard from UT Michener last

night - an email advising me to check the website for a status update. I didn't make it

unfortunately. But fingers crossed for the other schools.

Good luck to everyone!

Jane

Congratulations!! That is fantastic news!! Good luck!!

Hi All-

I was contacted by Naomi Iizuka @ UCSD for an interview/visit next week.

Still no word from any of the other schools, but UCSD is one of my top choices, so I am very excited!

-R

Yes, I am dying from anxiety too! I'm worried since I haven't gotten any interviews yet. Do you think

all schools do interviews?

How accomplished do you think most of the playwrights are who are applying? I'm worried people

have had off-Broadway shows and lots of work published!

I haven't heard about interviews on the Yale, Juilliard, Michener front for this year. I know the interviews last year for Juilliard didn't happen until May. May!

As far as accomplishments go- don't sweat it. From what I hear, it's all about the piece you send in. There will always be folks applying with credentials a mile long, but maybe their pieces are boring. Just because you've had something produced off-broadway doesn't mean it was any good, right? I've been beating myself up about the draft I sent in, but I have to remind myself- I love my piece. I believe in that piece.

Fingers crossed and good thoughts!

I wouldn't worry about having not heard anything yet- from what I can tell, it's impossible to guess what any of the schools are actually doing- I've heard that some schools will interview, but some years they've offered spots without interviews.

I feel like it has a lot to do with the department heads at each school. If they like your writing, your cv, your personal statement, if something in any of those documents rings true to them, that is what really matters. I don't have a ton of production history (a few one-act productions, and a handful of readings) but I feel like everything else (theatre work history, publication in non-playwriting genres, diverse education history -ie non-trad and not Ivy League) plays a BIG part in getting the attention of the selection committee or the department head.

Honesty, hard-work and a positive attitude are the secret... God, I sound like my Grandpa.

-R

Edited by rizzorob

Thank you for your thoughts Rob! It's good hearing more about the process, and reading your post made

me feel better and less anxious about everything.

Good luck to everyone! Excited to hear more results from everyone!

Congrats BlueAlice and rizzorob!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the big thumbs-down from Michener, too. Now it's down to Yale and Juilliard for me (though if I recall last year Juilliard didn't notify until April).

Anyone apply to Brooklyn College?

I was also rejected by Brown. And hearing that Yale is doing interviews already makes me

feel like that's also a rejection.

Starting to feel a bit disheartened by this process.

I've heard that people apply several years in a row...have you all applied before?