Playwriting MFAs

dampka

12 hours ago, rintea said:

I've been trying to figure this out on my own and talking about it with people in my life, but I would love some thoughts/advice.

I got accepted into UCLA, New School, and Iowa. I have not heard back from Columbia, and the interview was a couple weeks ago. I think it is probably safe to say I didn't get in since others have been waitlisted or accepted.

I turned down UCLA because it felt financially unfeasible. With New School, I would receive half of my tuition covered through merit scholarships with the chance to contest the scholarship to receive more aid. With Iowa, I would receive full tuition covered except for some small fees, along with a stipend. I am leaning toward Iowa because of the financial aspect and also because I think my aesthetic and goals as a playwright align with the program. However, I am wondering whether it would be more beneficial for me to go to New School, since I would be in New York in an experimental, interdisciplinary program.

Does anyone have any advice?

Congratulations on both of your acceptances. Although I am sure it's a difficult decision, I want to be sure to celebrate you for impressing both of those amazing programs. It truly is a remarkable dilemma to have. Like you, I'm navigating a similar situation, being waitlisted at two schools one both in NYC and one that is farther out. And thought I would share just a little bit of my thoughts on the situation atm. 

NYC is a city that is vibrant with opportunities to see new works and to be in an amazing community of writers. That coupled with the program at New School and their focus on expirementation could potentially be a great place that spurs your development as an artist. Not to mention the significant connections you could potentially build within the city as an artist. These are all true. 

On the other hand, Iowa's program seems to resonate deeply with your aesthetic sensibilities and professional goals. The financial package offered by Iowa, is a testament to their investment in your potential. This support can afford you the luxury of focusing intently on honing your craft without the looming stress of financial burden. Iowa is know for their writing programs and if you look at the program and think thats the place that I would grow the most than its definitely an amazing opportunity. 

While New York offers unparalleled opportunities for networking and exposure, remember that the digital age has somewhat leveled the playing field. Building a network and gaining exposure from Iowa may require more effort, but it's far from impossible. The question then becomes: Where do you see yourself thriving? Which environment aligns not just with your current aspirations but also with the playwright you aim to become?

For me, the decision boils down to understanding my end goals and assessing which program aligns more closely with the trajectory I envision for myself. It's a deeply personal decision, one that factors in not just the immediate benefits but also the long-term vision for my career.

Again, congratulations on being faced with such a decision. Whatever your choice, it's clear you're embarking on an exciting journey in your playwriting career.

On 3/27/2024 at 10:08 AM, Raja012 said:

Congratulations on both of your acceptances. Although I am sure it's a difficult decision, I want to be sure to celebrate you for impressing both of those amazing programs. It truly is a remarkable dilemma to have. Like you, I'm navigating a similar situation, being waitlisted at two schools one both in NYC and one that is farther out. And thought I would share just a little bit of my thoughts on the situation atm. 

NYC is a city that is vibrant with opportunities to see new works and to be in an amazing community of writers. That coupled with the program at New School and their focus on expirementation could potentially be a great place that spurs your development as an artist. Not to mention the significant connections you could potentially build within the city as an artist. These are all true. 

On the other hand, Iowa's program seems to resonate deeply with your aesthetic sensibilities and professional goals. The financial package offered by Iowa, is a testament to their investment in your potential. This support can afford you the luxury of focusing intently on honing your craft without the looming stress of financial burden. Iowa is know for their writing programs and if you look at the program and think thats the place that I would grow the most than its definitely an amazing opportunity. 

While New York offers unparalleled opportunities for networking and exposure, remember that the digital age has somewhat leveled the playing field. Building a network and gaining exposure from Iowa may require more effort, but it's far from impossible. The question then becomes: Where do you see yourself thriving? Which environment aligns not just with your current aspirations but also with the playwright you aim to become?

For me, the decision boils down to understanding my end goals and assessing which program aligns more closely with the trajectory I envision for myself. It's a deeply personal decision, one that factors in not just the immediate benefits but also the long-term vision for my career.

Again, congratulations on being faced with such a decision. Whatever your choice, it's clear you're embarking on an exciting journey in your playwriting career.

Thank you so much! This helped me a lot—you're so right about the longterm being more important than the immediate benefits. I ended up deciding on Iowa because it feels like a better fit, aesthetics- and future-wise. If any of you are going to Iowa or will be in the area, feel free to reach out!

Congrats on being waitlisted! I hope you get accepted to both places and can choose the one best for you. Keep us updated, if you're willing to.

So I actually just got a notification about getting off the waitlist at Iowa. I know there is a graduate school agreement a lot of schools signed onto that has the date for financial aid decisions set as April 15th. So most schools start seeing movement around that time too. But I have heard stories of people waiting until right up until grad schools start in some instances. 

2 hours ago, Raja012 said:

So I actually just got a notification about getting off the waitlist at Iowa. I know there is a graduate school agreement a lot of schools signed onto that has the date for financial aid decisions set as April 15th. So most schools start seeing movement around that time too. But I have heard stories of people waiting until right up until grad schools start in some instances. 

congrats about iowa!! i'm on a waitlist for hunter, and it's just been a few days since the deadline they told me they would be hearing if the people they accepted were going to attend, or if they'd have openings. i'm trying to be hopeful but realistic, it's just hard to estimate where things stand. thanks for your insight!

I also just got off a waitlist a couple days after they anticipated solidifying things. so I would agree/say that this next week should bring a lot of movement! all this waiting can really add up emotionally tho, so I hope everyone is hanging in there okay! 

Edited by KevinKlineLuvr

going a little crazy waiting to hear back from indiana after my interview two weeks ago - finding it hard to move on without the actual closure of a rejection, even though I know acceptances already went out. anyone else interview and get waitlisted, rejected, any answers to any emails? thanks!! 

36 minutes ago, nomad609 said:

going a little crazy waiting to hear back from indiana after my interview two weeks ago - finding it hard to move on without the actual closure of a rejection, even though I know acceptances already went out. anyone else interview and get waitlisted, rejected, any answers to any emails? thanks!! 

I was in the first round of offers that went out last Monday. I ended up turning down the offer to accept the Iowa offer on Wednesday morning (and the original deadline for accepting offers was set for April 8th). I got a response from Ana to my email on Friday. (She is awesome and I really had a hard time deciding because the program she is building at Indiana is going to be pretty amazing.) I do know that they made offers to three candidates but i had no word on if those people accepted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I just received my final rejection from my last school!

This means it is finally over for me this season, and I am so glad this process is officially done. I just wanted to say thank you to all the people in this community. Connecting with other playwrights and going through this with others, even if it was only virtually, has really made this year more tolerable. 

We're all playwrights, and we did the damn thing regardless of the results and I'm so proud of each and every one of us.

I thank you for being so generous and kind here.

And to the future MFA applicants, YOU'VE GOT THIS. If you ever want to connect about the process or have questions about the Iowa Playwrights Workshop, feel free to reach out. 

Wishing yall the best. I can't wait to see the amazing work you all make! 

3a/6r/0p