Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA or knows when I should hear? I had my interview in late February and I tried reaching out and haven’t heard anything. I’m starting to get nervous because this might be my one chance of getting into grad school for playwriting and I haven’t heard anyone talk about UCLA on here.

On 4/7/2023 at 3:38 PM, jck349 said:

Has anybody gotten a rejection or wait-list notice from Iowa? I know they've already sent acceptances, but they'll have to send official updates to the rest of us at some point soon!

Nothing. Pretty shitty of them to not communicate after several phases of moving forward with other applicants. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
16 hours ago, jck349 said:

So... Is anybody applying for Fall 2024?

I’m a few years out from undergrad. Applied initially back when I finished .

This is going to be my first cycle in years.

Excited nervous and all the feels and it’s only the beginning hehe . 

7 hours ago, Raja012 said:

I’m a few years out from undergrad. Applied initially back when I finished .

This is going to be my first cycle in years.

Excited nervous and all the feels and it’s only the beginning hehe . 

Same here, Raja! Feeling very different than when I first applied after undergrad. Definitely have a stronger understanding of myself as a writer and human. And yet - this process is overwhelming! So many big feelings. Applying to these programs is an act of ultimate vulnerability and that shit is scary. Good luck to everyone this cycle! I hope we all find our place :) 

On 10/31/2023 at 8:30 PM, jck349 said:

This will be my third cycle, but last time I only applied to two schools, and the time before that I was a bit under-prepared... Where's everyone applying to this year? Also, does anybody know if Rutgers is accepting applications this year and if Ohio's program still exists? 

I'm applying to Hunter, Brooklyn, Julliard, Brown and Yale. (Sending in Yale and Julliard apps next week 🙃)

Last I heard Rutgers is taking 2023 applicants - although looks like their site isn't updated yet. Not sure about Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 9:34 AM, iknowiknow said:

I'm applying to Hunter, Brooklyn, Julliard, Brown and Yale. (Sending in Yale and Julliard apps next week 🙃)

Last I heard Rutgers is taking 2023 applicants - although looks like their site isn't updated yet. Not sure about Ohio.

Nice, I'm looking at Yale's submission next week as well. Also looking at Brown, Columbia, San Diego, UT, and Indiana. 

14 hours ago, Raja012 said:

Nice, I'm looking at Yale's submission next week as well. Also looking at Brown, Columbia, San Diego, UT, and Indiana. 

Best of luck everyone! I'm applying to UT Austin, Northwestern, Iowa, Brooklyn, Hunter, Brown, San Diego, and Rutgers (if they're indeed opening their application this year)! This might be my last cycle applying, so it's definitely the most schools I've applied to at once...

• 2 weeks later...

hello to all who are reapplying!

i did several applications last year, and had a little bit of success -- ending up not being able to attend the one place i was admitted because of cost, and did not make it off a waitlist for another. i'm living in ny right now and not really prepared to move, so i'm thinking of applying for a couple programs i could stay local for.

i applied to juilliard a few weeks ago (didn't apply there last time around!), and i'm thinking of applying for hunter and brooklyn again.

i have a question for those who have done this before though! i don't have new people to write letters of rec for me, is it bad for an application to send the same ones? i feel like that's probably bad, but i don't really have too much of an alternative right now. would love to hear if anyone has any insights on this!

19 hours ago, toreckonwithhenry said:

i have a question for those who have done this before though! i don't have new people to write letters of rec for me, is it bad for an application to send the same ones? i feel like that's probably bad, but i don't really have too much of an alternative right now. would love to hear if anyone has any insights on this!

I was also going to ask the same people I asked last year for letters of rec... I don't know if it's "bad" or not, but I think some schools even keep your letters of rec on file (with the implication that they can be reused for future applications), so it doesn't seem like the kind of thing they look down upon.