Playwriting MFAs

dampka

1 hour ago, toreckonwithhenry said:

i'm wondering if anyone has anyone heard anything from northwestern at this point?

I still haven't heard anything and neither have the screenwriters on filmschool.org either so... : / I can't tell if everyone who has gotten interviews is just being really quiet about it online, or if the schools are behind. I think I will email for updates next week though. 

On 2/22/2023 at 7:47 PM, toreckonwithhenry said:

oh that's so lovely!! i've got mine tomorrow, i'm a little nervous about it :0 i'm curious, how long did the interview end up being?

& same here about brown and hunter! who knows, maybe there will be more information about them this coming week...? kind of hard to say based on past years i feel

Sorry I was out of town when you replied! It went on for about an hour and a half and was a very organic conversation. How did you feel about your interview?

8 hours ago, ughihatethis said:

Has anyone heard from Yale? Where would you get updates? 

I didn't apply this year, but when I applied in the past I got a rejection email on February 24. But by that point, they were already deep in the interview process, so it was pretty obvious that a rejection was coming. Check the application portal if you haven't!

I am the one who posted the Brown interview. Sorry I didn't reveal sooner. I'm a first time applicant and was just really nervous about it all, but I literally just got out of the interview which ended about 30 minutes ago (was ~45mins total). 

Not sure how to feel about it. Guess the word I would use is... confused? I dunno, first time jitters maybe.

They said they'd get back to me by next week so all their interviews are maybe this week and final decisions go out next I'm assuming.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone! Wishing luck for the future for all :)

15 minutes ago, modelofamodernmajorgeneral said:

I am the one who posted the Brown interview. Sorry I didn't reveal sooner. I'm a first time applicant and was just really nervous about it all, but I literally just got out of the interview which ended about 30 minutes ago (was ~45mins total). 

Not sure how to feel about it. Guess the word I would use is... confused? I dunno, first time jitters maybe.

They said they'd get back to me by next week so all their interviews are maybe this week and final decisions go out next I'm assuming.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone! Wishing luck for the future for all :)

Welcome and congrats!! 45 minutes seems like a long interview, so that's probably a good sign haha! Where else did you apply/hear back from?

1 hour ago, jck349 said:

Welcome and congrats!! 45 minutes seems like a long interview, so that's probably a good sign haha! Where else did you apply/hear back from?

Thank you! And I've enjoyed and a learned a lot from the grad process overall no matter what happens.

I also applied to:

Yale-got a rejection at the beginning of the month

Hunter-no news yet

UTAustin (Michener and the Theatre Department)-no news yet

University of Iowa-no news yet

21 hours ago, MischiefNotManaged said:

Sorry I was out of town when you replied! It went on for about an hour and a half and was a very organic conversation. How did you feel about your interview?

i also felt really good about it! it was also a lovely conversation though only about 45 min for me. great to get some detailed information on the program which sounds really incredible, and intimidatingly much smaller than i had thought it was :0

& i've got an interview with the nyu dramatic writing department today in just a couple hours! very exciting to be getting a bit of news from some places. have you heard back from anywhere else at this point, @MischiefNotManaged ?

10 hours ago, jck349 said:

I didn't apply this year, but when I applied in the past I got a rejection email on February 24. But by that point, they were already deep in the interview process, so it was pretty obvious that a rejection was coming. Check the application portal if you haven't!

i'm pretty sure, at least from checking gradcafe, the only thing Yale has given updates about are rejections. no one has received an interview request yet it seems... 🙃???

Edited by dramatic

55 minutes ago, dramatic said:

i'm pretty sure, at least from checking gradcafe, the only thing Yale has given updates about are rejections. no one has received an interview request yet it seems... 🙃???

That's my impression too. No updates in my portal and didn't get rejected on the 8th, but haven't heard anything else either.

Hey all,

I was a finalist last year for Yale and heard from them Feb. 8, 2022. Based on previous grad cafe reporting, that was kind of early last year, but not hearing anything yet this late also is unusual. I’ve heard of friends of friends applying to other Yale MFA programs already getting called for interviews, including for directing and theater management. So I have a feeling they’ve also already informed their playwriting finalists and just none of them are on grad cafe. I think those of us who haven’t heard but haven’t been rejected are probably some kind of back up list. It’s that or they are behind all the other departments this year. I’m a pessimist by nature which is why I think it’s the former. We’ll see : /

To play devil’s advocate, prospective MFA playwriting students are a relatively small, self-selecting group & it’s difficult for me to imagine that no one here is friends with/knows of/is a social media follower of someone who got an interview if ALL of the notifications have gone out, even if that person isn’t actually on GradCafe. Undoubtedly, we are approaching a critical point here, but I still don’t feel like we can assume rejection for most places just yet. Except for Brown lol. 

Obviously I could be totally, totally wrong, but that’s my random (and personally rare) piece of positive thinking for the day. 

might be a little pessimistic, but i have personally been assuming that it'll be a rejection from everywhere i haven't heard from at this point. ultimately, who can really say if timelines are just later this year! but i like having concrete information to operate on, and for me personally i'd rather assume the worst based on lack of hearing anything than keep feeling stuck in waiting limbo with no clue how it'll work out. i hope everybody else is hanging in there!

8 minutes ago, Waitwaitdotellme said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to seem judgmental. We’re all coping in our own ways, I think. :)

Anyway, I just got an interview request from Columbia. Check yr emails! 

not judgmental at all, we've all gotta approach this weird and stressful process from our own angles! and congratulations about columbia, very exciting!!