Playwriting MFAs

dampka

4 hours ago, ruthg18 said:

jk got my rejection email just now

gosh i'm so sorry to hear that! I know how much it sucks. Hard to say anything that doesn't sound cliched or condescending but i have no doubt your work is amazing!

Seems like they're sending out rejections as they go then? I haven't received anything still. 

2 minutes ago, Dro. said:

gosh i'm so sorry to hear that! I know how much it sucks. Hard to say anything that doesn't sound cliched or condescending but i have no doubt your work is amazing!

Seems like they're sending out rejections as they go then? I haven't received anything still. 

I really appreciate that, thank you! Still (perhaps illogically) keeping my fingers crossed for Columbia since I felt good about that interview.

This does seem to support the behind on application review/releasing results in waves theory. Hoping your yes is on the way soon!

1 hour ago, seasickmermaid said:

Just got rejections from Columbia and Hunter. At least that's closure!

Just got my Hunter rejection a few minutes ago too. I know it’s still a form letter, but I really do appreciate that Christine takes the time to personalize the rejection letters somewhat. It makes it sting less.

Still nothing from Columbia…

1 hour ago, ruthg18 said:

Just got my Hunter rejection a few minutes ago too. I know it’s still a form letter, but I really do appreciate that Christine takes the time to personalize the rejection letters somewhat. It makes it sting less.

Still nothing from Columbia…

That letter kind of tricked me tbh. Last year when I got such a nice letter I thought for sure I should apply again even though Hunter was not one of my top choices because she seemed so genuinely enthusiastic. Now that I've gotten pretty much the exact same letter this year, I feel like they just used that to get me to apply again and pay them more money. Anyway, I just want to say for first-time appliers, apply to schools you genuinely want to go to, don't just do it because you feel like you're likely to get in from a nice-sounding rejection letter.

19 minutes ago, MischiefNotManaged said:

Just got my rejection from Hunter, where they named my play correctly and let me know that I was a semi-finalist, but somehow managed to deadname me... which makes me suspicious as to whether or not they actually read my play, since my name is on... every single material I submitted.

Oh, that's so f*cked. I'm so sorry to hear that. From a fellow trans person, sending you much love.

@MischiefNotManaged that is so horrible and I am so sorry! I would take it as a sign that they are definitely not the right school for you if they're going to pull that shit. That makes me so angry but I also feel glad there's no chance I end up going there. Anyways, there's a better place out there for you, I'm sure of it!

Is there a specific date grad schools need to give answers before like undergrad? A know about the April 15th resolution, but that’s for us giving our answers back (and not every school is a part of it).

Also that is so wildly disrespectful to you @MischiefNotManaged I would absolutely say something.

@MischiefNotManaged wtf that's awful! I'm so sorry—how horribly disrespectful!

I got a similar rejection email to y'all from Hunter and found out that I was waitlisted at Columbia! That's the last school I've heard back from this year, which leaves me with rejections from BU, Brooklyn, and Hunter college and waitlisted at Columbia and NYU. My goal for this year was to get two interviews, which I did, so at the end of the day, I'm definitely still happy. What a wild process! Grateful for all the lessons learned and grateful to have this community to help keep me sane.

Hey ya'll, thank you for the support. This is definitely a first for me as no other program has misgendered or deadnamed me. I did in fact respond to let her know the error and this is the response I received essentially:

"Dear ____,

I'm so very sorry about that, and will correct my records immediately. It seems like an administrative error of our application software, which used to automatically populate I spreadsheet I was using to track applications. I can see from your application that you clearly entered your preferred name as ____. My sincere apologies for not noticing this error when I was writing to you, and thank you so much for letting me know about this issue--I appreciate it."

I have mixed feelings on this response because it is nice to hear an apology that I believe was in fact stemming from an error, but I also feel weird knowing that they wouldn't just use the preferred name section to begin with (I also... do not love the phrase "preferred name", as it implies that my name is a preference and thus subject to any sort of debate-- it's my name).

EDIT: I also checked my last year's email from her-- she did not deadname me at all last year, which makes it all the more odd that it occurred at all this year. Hm. 

Edited by MischiefNotManaged

Sorry update 2; per my recommendation, Hunter is updating the application for next cycle to have less dated terminology for trans people (eliminating "preferred" name and "preferred" pronouns to just be "name" and "pronouns"). I appreciate Christine's response and proactiveness in remedying the error, so all is good here. 

2 minutes ago, tomlette said:

just got the official rejection from columbia... LOL and they put a Ms. at the top of the form even though i very clearly put down my gender as nonbinary in every form and talked about it in my application. cringe! 

I'm sorry, Tomlette. I love getting to know other nonbinary writers perhaps we should start a groupchat? AHAHAHA. 

15 minutes ago, MischiefNotManaged said:

I'm sorry, Tomlette. I love getting to know other nonbinary writers perhaps we should start a groupchat? AHAHAHA. 

of course this is all happening on TDOV too lol. vibes. 

i think this is the end of the road for me, gradcafe! i'm at on twitter at @crispy_yom, npx is here. this 12 year old thread was a total beacon in this garbage process and whenever i felt shitty i was reminded of how many people i admire that were in this exact same spot. it is my sincere hope i get to see all yalls plays someday. ? 

heres the final body count:

UT (michener)  - hunter  - new school  - columbia  - iowa  

CMU  let's get this ? ... 

Edited by tomlette

I'm so sorry you all are experiencing that. I would guess that it is the university overall and its antiquated software that are to blame, rather than individual faculty from the program(s), but all-in-all it seems like it is time for them to definitely address that as an ongoing problem.

On another note, has anyone else heard NOTHING from UT Austin? I'm assuming all offers are out and see that some rejections are out, but I've still heard nothing and my portal is the same. That's the only school I've gotten nothing from at this point. 

As for my grad school journey this year...I have gotten:

-one acceptance (CMU)

-two waitlists (Iowa and NYU)

-and the rest rejections. 

I have asked for an extension from CMU before making a decision. Trying not to get my hopes up but Iowa is my dream school so I'm hanging on by a thread.

2 minutes ago, Mel Rose said:

I'm so sorry you all are experiencing that. I would guess that it is the university overall and its antiquated software that are to blame, rather than individual faculty from the program(s), but all-in-all it seems like it is time for them to definitely address that as an ongoing problem.

On another note, has anyone else heard NOTHING from UT Austin? I'm assuming all offers are out and see that some rejections are out, but I've still heard nothing and my portal is the same. That's the only school I've gotten nothing from at this point. 

As for my grad school journey this year...I have gotten:

-one acceptance (CMU)

-two waitlists (Iowa and NYU)

-and the rest rejections. 

I have asked for an extension from CMU before making a decision. Trying not to get my hopes up but Iowa is my dream school so I'm hanging on by a thread.

oh yeah, i applied to the regular drama MFA at UT and they're still ghosting me. i think they also get a lot of ppl who applied there as a backup for michener (like my advisor told me to do,) so they're probably kinda catty about who they pick LOL.

hope the iowa waitlist shakes out Mel! there's always at least one person who can't come for whatever reason, so fingers crossed for you

2 hours ago, tomlette said:

just got the official rejection from columbia... LOL and they put a Ms. at the top of the form even though i very clearly put down my gender as nonbinary in every form and talked about it in my application. cringe! 

happened to me in my rejection letter too. [log lady voice] one day the suffering will end

recap so far for me:

rejections: columbia, brown, tufts (for a PhD)
waiting on: BU, edinburgh

1 hour ago, machinations said:

happened to me in my rejection letter too. [log lady voice] one day the suffering will end

recap so far for me:

rejections: columbia, brown, tufts (for a PhD)
waiting on: BU, edinburgh

based on the extended deadline, i'd assume that BU is one month behind schedule. they let me know of my decision on march 4th last time around so i'm assuming it'll be april 4th this year. total speculation tho cus im bored at work lol