Playwriting MFAs

dampka

@heckleher--thank you for checking and for updating us! does that mean they aren't interviewing at Brooklyn College, or that their decisions regarding interviews will be made in the next week or two?

has anyone else applied to columbia/heard anything from them? (perhaps if not, my odds are better there!)

I just called Columbia and they are still reviewing applications. I asked if she thought that finalists would be notified by next week and she said she hoped so. Looks like another week (or more) of hope/dread...

I got into UCSD early this week!

I then got waitlisted at Michener, and sent them a letter rejecting the waitlist, then officially accepted UCSD's offer.

This was three years in the making. Stay confident, everyone. Always be submitting!

Flyrail,

I don't know anything about New School's program (other than what I've read on this thread), but I had an interview at Juilliard last year--I was a nervous wreck (I had applied on a whim!) and if I had it to do over again, I would be more quietly confident and relaxed (easier said than done, to be sure!). I think I may have come across as a bit too starry-eyed and overly eager, if not plainly bowled over by the recognition, which I think can easily be received as gumshoe and "not quite ready". When you get a callback in acting, they say that they just want to see if you can do the same thing over again. I think with playwriting interviews, they just want to see that you are who they thought you were when they read your application. Clearly, they think you are amazing or you would not have gotten the interview! So you don't have to be a salesman (or woman), just be yourself. Just remember they already like you. That should give you a lot of confidence! Good luck! :-)

Edited by failsafe

Thanks for the great advice failsafe. I will try to keep that in mind.

And thank you brittonbuttrill that sounds crazy intense, but thats also where I thrive so maybe that will be to my advantage.

Thanks for calling Yale. I had a feeling it would be this week . . . best of luck everyone!

Headed out to San Diego this evening for an in-person visit with UCSD. Just waiting on the East Coast schools . . .

I think if you checked "consider me for Tisch-Asia" on your application, you got an interview invite but no NYC rejection. I think for people who didn't want to be considered for that in the first place, they rejected us as "incentive" to consider that program, after all. My strong guess is that Tisch-NYC invites have already gone out, but that they are only sending rejections on an as-needed basis until the end, perhaps due to time constraints on the admissions staff until after the programs are filled.

Jam 2011, I still haven't heard anything from Yale. Tomorrow, maybe? I got called for an interview there last year, and that call came on a Sunday afternoon, so it might be this weekend. Freaking out in the meantime...

Okay, I just got a SECOND rejection letter from Tisch, asking me once again to consider Tisch-Asia. The letter said how impressed they were by the strength of my application and creative material. So, um...cool. Why not then, you know, interview me?

Yeah, this whole process is majorly anxiety producing.

I was waitlisted at USC without an interview. Hmm?

Apparently, USC covers 75% tuition the first year and 100%

the second two years, pending you work as a Graduate Student

Assistant.

But, I'm worried about the possibly super high living expenses in

LA...

Do you guys know if people manage to hold down full time jobs

and pursue MFA's?

They flew all the interviewees (I think there were maybe eight or nine?) to New Haven. It was a full two day thing, which was stressful, but everyone was so lovely, especially Paula.I think I maybe shot myself in the foot by not sleeping for two nights, and not consuming anything but coffee-- I felt pretty strung out by the end. I don't know if the process will be different this year, with a new department chair. I hope for everyone's sake that we hear soon-- my anxiety is off the charts. This is not early March, people!

I don't know when the first round of rejections went out. Last year a blizzard canceled two weeks of classes at Yale, so the application-review process happened a lot earlier-- I got the interview call in early Feb, and the rejection email by the last week of Feb. Hang in there! Hopefully we hear this weekend.