Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hey, I'm new to the board and I was wondering, since I haven't seen anything in this thread so far, what anybody knows about Pace University's MFA program? I've been accepted there and at SFSU and am now stuck trying to make the decision of which coast I'm going to spend the next three years on. Any and all input would be much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all-

Anybody else receive an email from Northwestern saying something like this: We are still in the process of reviewing applicants, please let us know if you are still interested or if your plans have changed?

They wrote to me a few days ago, and I responded promptly. Haven't heard back yet. I am wondering if they are seriously still considering, or if they sent it out to abate folks who were pestering them?

Thanks,

Rob

I didn't apply. But I think you should take it at face value. They have a big program, and I imagine they worry about yield- since it's after the 15th, they could be losing a lot of potential applicants to other programs. Also, as I remember, they take longer than other programs to respond.

Hey all-

Anybody else receive an email from Northwestern saying something like this: We are still in the process of reviewing applicants, please let us know if you are still interested or if your plans have changed?

They wrote to me a few days ago, and I responded promptly. Haven't heard back yet. I am wondering if they are seriously still considering, or if they sent it out to abate folks who were pestering them?

Thanks,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm already gearing up to apply for my playwriting MFA again. And, I'm curious - my main writing sample has evolved quite a bit - can I still submit this revised play? Or, does it make more sense to submit a new sample? My hunch is definitely new sample, but I'm really excited about the rewrites.

Thank you!

You could ask the individual schools, but I'm almost positive that you should submit a new sample. If you really want to use your awesome improved play, you should think about expanding your application list. And if you don't have a new sample that you feel awesome about, you might want to wait on reapplying, particularly if it means you'll burn out a play that you'll drastically improve later. Instead, you might want to apply to a different set of schools.

Last year, I applied to four schools and bombed out. They were all dream schools. I missed out on one dream school's application deadline. During the year, I made awesome rewrites to my best sample. I applied to the dream school with the early application deadline, because it was the only dream school that I could send the rewritten play to. I got in!

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum. Just like janesays I'm getting ready to apply for my MFA playwriting again. I applied only to Brown last year (first time ever) and got rejected.

Í'm narrowing down my list this year to a handful of schools and although I already have some big names (WUSTL, Northwestern, Brown) I'm interested in some other schools that are not usually at the top of the list like Indiana University, Arizona State, Arkansas Fayetteville, or Catholic University in DC. Does anyone have some more info on the reputation of these schools?

I kind of want to apply just to the schools that I know for sure offer full funding to all accepted (so NYU, Columbia, Yale, Sarah Lawrence are out) but I don't know if that's a smart thing to do, or should I just apply to as many as I can?

Like I said I'm kind of new to this process, but I'm definitely committed to it, even if it takes years.

Thanks, any help would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm an undergraduate at UT in the Dept. of Theatre and Dance. I thinking of applying to graduate schools for playwriting. I have some questions.

I don't have any prior work experience. I have taken all the playwriting and new works classes offered by my department. Should I wait to apply (work, fellowships, submissions.) or should I apply to a bunch of schools and see what comes my way? My friend did the same thing last year and was accepted to a few schools and decided on NYU Musical Theatre Writing. What are my chances of getting into programs? I know USC explicitly states on their MFA Playwriting webpage that there is no minimum work experience needed to apply and that they will accept college seniors with high levels of creativity. Is this something that is possible? I just want to weigh my odds before paying applications fees, printing scripts and statement letters, etc.

Also, if I do decided to apply, I was looking at the full tuition schools. I know the top ones are difficult to get into like Brown, etc. But I was also looking at lesser known schools, Indiana University Bloomington and Catholic University of America, which both offer full tuition. Does anyone know anything else about these school? Do you think it would be wise to go to one of these programs if they're not well known?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Hi themirandatragedy -

We're in the same boat. I am committed to this process, even if it takes years.

Last year I applied to around 7 schools and got some positive feedback but no

acceptances.

I also do not want to pay for an MFA Playwriting program. But I do wonder,

should I apply to NYU, New School, etc. and see what happens? I still

am not sure.

You asked about some other, lesser-known schools - I met a playwright

from Arizona State this past summer and it said the program was

really, really superb - so I am thinking of applying there this go

around.

Good luck!

Jane

• 3 weeks later...

UCSD has a great program. It's tough to get into they accept 1 or 2 writers a year. They guarantee a full production every year that's dramaturged by the Literary folks at La Jolla Playhouse. And I believe they take care of your tuition your 2nd & 3rd year.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy - just cranked out seven applications for Fall 2012 - Brown, UCSD, NYU-Tisch (NY but also opted in for Asia, why not?), Yale, UT-Michener, Cal Arts (Film Directing, the only program of its kind I'm applying to) and Brooklyn College.

It's been seven years since I graduated from college - I first applied to Yale, Cal Arts and Julliard's certificate program as a senior in college and was rejected across the board (although Julliard wrote me the NICEST rejection letter I have ever, ever received. Will definitely re-apply after I get my MFA).

I'm hoping that the years of experience I've had out of the school environment has helped my chances . . . and hopefully helped the writing too. I talked with a few students from some of the programs who had never even had a play published or produced before they came to graduate school . . . which was a big surprise but makes me think this all comes down to the writing sample itself and references.

I sent UT a brand new screenplay (have never written one before) and for most schools I sent a brand new play that has only had the first half workshopped. UCSD asks for two writing samples so I thankfully that allows them to see an older play (which has been developed for years and produced) alongside my newer work, hopefully gives them a better scope on the range I represent.

Excited to sweat it out with y'all (yes, I'm from Texas) over the next few months . . . as we await . . . our destinies.

Also: I work in financial aid as my day job so I can help with any basic questions about federal aid. Definitely going to inform the final outcome for me but I cast the net wide (clearly) just to see what opportunities became available.

Edited by heckleher

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Heckleher,

We'll definitely be sweating it out with you. I made the Brown deadline on the last day (I had some problems with the references link), and now I'm finishing a couple more applications. You certainly applied to some of the tougher schools to get in, and I wish you the best.

Do you also want to to do screenwriting on the side or is that just a back-up plan?

Michener and Brown done.

WUSTL, UT T&D, UCSD, and Yale to go.

I sent Yale a physical copy of my play, but they say they want it electronically as well. However, there's a 50 page limit.

Anyone have this problem? I tried contacting them, but they're away for the holidays.

Oh, also. Since you all got your shiny new plays for submission, you should know that WordBRIDGE is accepting applications for their 2012 Workshop.

I'm an alumni. It's a really great deal. You get two weeks in Baltimore, working with actors, directors, and anyone you need to help develop your play (last year they brought in a circus clown for a playwright)

I think the deadline is in four days.

www.wordbridge.org

• 3 weeks later...

@Decaf

Best of luck to you too!

I do not have a background in writing for film aside from one college course and a few short film experiments. Most playwrights also have some TV/Film work under their belts to pay rent and I'm always interested in challenging forms so I figured it would be worth a try.

UT's Michener program reportedly receives less applications in the Screenwriting focus group so I thought that might help my chances. Also Austin is my hometown and I know the theater program fairly well . . . I think the idea to do something completely different and challenging was a much bigger draw for me. Film Directing at Cal Arts is truly my wildcard. Aside from Tisch-Asia. I'm not allowed to even say the word "Singapore" around my mother :)

Brooklyn College reported that we should have decisions within 6 weeks from the deadline which would mean sometime around mid February. They are also notorious for losing documentation (my friend applied a few years ago and they had her app in a desk drawer, so she didn't get notification about her status until late April!) so call em up if you aren't sure they received something. Definitely sent my stuff certified mail for that office just so I have record!

• 4 weeks later...

heckleher,

I didn't make the Brooklyn College deadline but I heard they should be letting people know really soon. Good luck! I did also hear they are not the most organized of offices.

Since you're from Austin, how selective is Michener playwriting?

I literally can't wait til I'm notified of acceptances/rejections. I just hate not knowing right now.

Has anyone who applied for playwriting at New School heard back? Checking in on behalf of a friend who applied and isn't able to go online this weekend -- but they were told that callbacks would happen between the 16th and 18th (assuming/hoping decline emails would be sent out around the same time).