Adelphi University

Hi all,

I was just accepted into Adelphi (yay!) and had a question. I know it is a bigger program and at another school I interviewed at, they said bigger programs tend to use "standardized patients." I was wondering if anyone knows if they do this at Adelphi. I personally would rather work with a real patient that had an actual disorder rather than on someone just acting like they have one so you can see real life progress and results. Thank you!

P.S- Good luck to everyone :D

Wow I've been accepted too and I never heard of this before so now I'm really curious too ... I hope it's not like that cause I really wanted to go there =/  

btw which school told you that? 

Edited by slpgrad620

2 hours ago, mws5997 said:

Has anyone else been invited to Adelphis open houses but still not heard from them about a decision? 

Yup! I got an email for their open house today too

2 hours ago, mws5997 said:

Has anyone else been invited to Adelphis open houses but still not heard from them about a decision? 

Yes!! So annoying!! Keep thinking it's a response but nope! 

Hi all! I was accepted by Adelphi and attended the open house today. They do not use standardized patients currently, but they mentioned that they have been discussing this model. I also learned that while it's a much larger class size than other schools, they split up the whole class into cohort A and cohort B so that the class sizes are much smaller. Cohort A starts clinic first semester while B starts second semester. I didn't know any of this before attending the open house today because it doesn't say it on the site, so if you get the chance, definitely go to check out the school because the program sounds awesome! Hope this helps and good luck!! :)

1 hour ago, G.Speech said:

Hi all! I was accepted by Adelphi and attended the open house today. They do not use standardized patients currently, but they mentioned that they have been discussing this model. I also learned that while it's a much larger class size than other schools, they split up the whole class into cohort A and cohort B so that the class sizes are much smaller. Cohort A starts clinic first semester while B starts second semester. I didn't know any of this before attending the open house today because it doesn't say it on the site, so if you get the chance, definitely go to check out the school because the program sounds awesome! Hope this helps and good luck!! :)

Ah thanks so much for this info. Few questions:

How big (in number) is their class size?

And starting clinicals first semester meaning literally the FIRST semester this upcoming fall?

Also, did they mention anything about when the first day of classes are? 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, slpgrad620 said:

Ah thanks so much for this info. Few questions:

How big (in number) is their class size?

And starting clinicals first semester meaning literally the FIRST semester this upcoming fall?

Also, did they mention anything about when the first day of classes are? 

Thanks! 

Hi, I attended as well. They said each cohort has 25 students so there's 50 full time students in total and I think 25 in Sunday program and 25 Online. So in total, 100 students are accepted. 

Yes, one cohort would be start clinicals the first semester as in fall 2017. The professor said that some people feel overwhelmed and will ask to switch cohorts at times. It seems like they'll try to work with you if that is what you want since some want to start right away and are willing to switch. 

They didn't mention when classes would start so I'm not sure about that. 

Hope this helps! 

1 hour ago, Jesscee143 said:

Hi, I attended as well. They said each cohort has 25 students so there's 50 full time students in total and I think 25 in Sunday program and 25 Online. So in total, 100 students are accepted. 

Yes, one cohort would be start clinicals the first semester as in fall 2017. The professor said that some people feel overwhelmed and will ask to switch cohorts at times. It seems like they'll try to work with you if that is what you want since some want to start right away and are willing to switch. 

Hope this helps! 

I didn't know Adelphi had an online cohort. I applied for the Sunday program but I would have considered the online program. When I attended the Manhattan open house Dr. Goldfarb only mentioned the Garden City and Manhattan cohorts. Is it on their website and maybe I overlooked it?

57 minutes ago, 2bridges said:

I didn't know Adelphi had an online cohort. I applied for the Sunday program but I would have considered the online program. When I attended the Manhattan open house Dr. Goldfarb only mentioned the Garden City and Manhattan cohorts. Is it on their website and maybe I overlooked it?

Oops, Manhattan autocorrected to online, sorry for the confusion. 

4 hours ago, Jesscee143 said:

Hope this helps! 

Oh, considering that I'm planning to go to the Garden City one, which means I would only need to care about the "50 students" there, their program size at least for the Garden City location is pretty much the same as many other programs. By large, I expected more so thanks so much again for the info! 

I was accepted into the Garden City program for Fall 2017 and also attended the open house yesterday. While I was there, I asked the student financial services department about scholarships or merit based funding etc. since the tuition is so high, and was told that there are no scholarships available. I asked about graduate assistantships and was told that first year grad students are typically not eligible to get an assistantship. This is the first program I have heard back from, so fingers crossed that I am accepted into a less expensive program :/