I guess I'm screwed up for grad application

Mi5lakie

I'm an international student majoring art and design, mostly digital arts. I can do UI/UX works but I'm more into exhibitions and media arts.

I love school!!! I hate working!!!

Getting my BFA from a small/unknown art school in LA in May 2017. 

My mom just told me that it'd been too much pressure to support my education, my lil sister's going to high school this year, boarding school costs a lot. So she wants me to either apply for funding or just work.

Last year I got a chance to talk to an art instructor from MIT (introduced by friends of my parents), and he wrote me a recommendation letter for MIT's media lab(fully funded)!!!

Well, I guess it's more like a dream to me, I know it's super hard to get in, and there were only a few (or none) of them are fresh college graduates - most of the admitted students have tons of working experience and awards. And I'm like no one. So I got rejected email this weekend. 

I planned to apply to UCLA Media Arts too, but guess what? I had a car accident during the last week of the deadline in January, so I totally missed the chance. missed the chance. 

Now what? I'm out of choices, I have to wait for another year and think about more realistic and affordable programs. I'm 23 now, and I'm so frustrated since OPT(working visa for international students) is becoming even harder, I can't live on my own, feeling like a trash... but still, I hope anyone who has similar experience like me, never give up the chances of getting higher education, it means much more than a degree.  

You just mentioned that you are not competitive enough because you are lacking experience compared to other candidates. Take this opportunity to get the experience you need so that you will be more competitive next time you apply. It sounds like this time off is the perfect opportunity to make plans for your future goals.

23, in terms of graduate education, is very young. It may not seem that way now, but it's true. People go back to school at all points in their lives. Also seconding @thelionking's advice about using this time off to get experience and better yourself as an artist and applicant. I'm sorry to hear about your accident, it's awful, but everything has a way of working out how it's supposed to. Who knows? You may use this year to grow even more than you initially planned. Best of luck!

17 minutes ago, thelionking said:

You just mentioned that you are not competitive enough because you are lacking experience compared to other candidates. Take this opportunity to get the experience you need so that you will be more competitive next time you apply. It sounds like this time off is the perfect opportunity to make plans for your future goals.

Thanks a lot! I have to make adjustment and work harder then

1 minute ago, Mi5lakie said:

Thanks a lot! I have to make adjustment and work harder then

Something I've only learned with age is that success has more to do with perseverance than talent.

If you keep at it, you'll do okay. Just be more stubborn than everyone else. :) 

Take heart.

Like @HopingForMFA said 23 is young, you've still got time on your side (even though it doesn't feel like it right now). Take this time to work, build your portfolio. Keep in touch with the professor who recommended you, watch the different projects that the Media Lab is working on. Then apply again when you are ready.

Don't give up! 

I might also look at the stats for the programs you're looking into and see how yours compare. Strengthen those numbers, and follow the advice given to you in the above comments about getting more experience and following the labs. Stay positive and work hard!