NSF GRIP/GROW (2017-2018)

paleoatmo

Hi everyone. I thought I would start a thread on NSF GRIP/GROW program. I actually heard back from NSF this afternoon about my approval of my GRIP request!!!! Anyone else hear back? I believe the acceptance/approval rate is pretty high just based on the previous couple of years. I'm not sure if my advisor 100% approves of me doing this internship, especially since it's a little bit off the path of my dissertation and it would be six months long. Anyone else have this issue or completely different situation?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for starting the thread! Congrats on your GRIP news, what type of internship is that? I applied for GROW in Australia for the summer, but haven't heard back yet. In the previous years, it seems like the notifications were delivered pretty late for this. My status is still "awaiting NSF approval" as of now. Getting a bit antsy since I was planning on heading over there in early June, if approved. I am only able to go for 3 months, over the summer, so hopefully I will hear back soon enough.

I also just heard back positively about my GRIP request. This will actually be the third year I've done GRIP. I think it's a great program! I also applied for GROW, for Sweden, but have not heard anything back yet. My advisor has been very supportive of this kind of thing. It's great for professional development, especially GRIP, because of the dearth of academic jobs it's really helpful to get experience and a network in your field outside of academia. 

On 3/20/2017 at 5:58 PM, Indie_soul said:

Thanks for starting the thread! Congrats on your GRIP news, what type of internship is that? I applied for GROW in Australia for the summer, but haven't heard back yet. In the previous years, it seems like the notifications were delivered pretty late for this. My status is still "awaiting NSF approval" as of now. Getting a bit antsy since I was planning on heading over there in early June, if approved. I am only able to go for 3 months, over the summer, so hopefully I will hear back soon enough.

Thank you! It's with the USGS. I also applied for GROW for Australia! Still haven't heard back, but I don't expect to hear back until May. Fingers cross we hear back earlier. 

That's awesome! Has it been with the same federal agency all three times? I completely agree about professional development. Did you ever have an issue with room/board costs? I'm a bit worried on the cost of everything to move across country and stay in an air bnb / sublet apartment. 

On 3/23/2017 at 3:28 PM, paleoatmo said:

That's awesome! Has it been with the same federal agency all three times? I completely agree about professional development. Did you ever have an issue with room/board costs? I'm a bit worried on the cost of everything to move across country and stay in an air bnb / sublet apartment. 

Yeah it has, it the project turned into a big part of my dissertation. I only go during the summer though, so finding housing has always been a challenge, but the supplemental funding has covered the costs. I think if you're staying somewhere for longer, depending on cost of living, the $5,000 might not cover all of it, but hopefully you would be able to sublet your apartment or something and not have to pay double rent. 

• 2 weeks later...

I heard back from GROW today and I'll be going to Sweden!
I'm a little confused though -- in previous years it looks like the NSF would tell other people before giving the students the final word. But I haven't heard anything from my collaborators in Sweden. Anyone else experiencing this?

Meka, have you heard back?

Edited by batcathat

Congrats batcathat! Where in Sweden will you be? I also just got word from NSF that the funding was approved (for Umeå University), but nothing from the host institution or Swedish Research Council. Maybe they realized that making people wait so long was a problem so they are trying to get the word out earlier, maybe before all the details have been worked out with the partner agency? Hopefully we will get more details soon. In any case it's pretty exciting!

Sweden must be the place to be! I also just heard back on NSF GROW approval. I'll be at Örebro University and some at Uppsala. 

I, too, was curious to hear back from NSF before the collaborating institution or Swedish Research Council. I'm assuming they must have approved. Yes, meka, hopefully more details soon. My specific scope and travel timing will need to change a bit since writing the proposal, and I'm wondering how that is handled.

I happen to have a meeting tomorrow with my Sweden colleague so I suppose I'll let her know!

I heard back from NSF contact person saying that I will be receiving an award person but I won't be getting an official award letter until mid May.

3 hours ago, upretisr said:

I heard back from NSF contact person saying that I will be receiving an award person but I won't be getting an official award letter until mid May.

What country did you apply to? Congrats!

Thanks again! My collaborator first emailed saying everything looks good but then I had to plan the trip soon as I'm leaving the country for 3 months for field research. So, I emailed the contact person and he said its confirmed and I can start planning for the trip. I'll start August 16.

17 hours ago, my_silver_lining said:

I have emailed the GROW contacts multiple times with no response - is there another email I should know about? 

They just seem to be pretty unresponsive and hands off in general, unfortunately. The only time (out of a few) I got a response from them, it was basically just "all you can do is wait" type of thing. So I'm still waiting to hear about my Australia application. What country are you waiting on?

On 4/28/2017 at 8:04 AM, Indie_soul said:

They just seem to be pretty unresponsive and hands off in general, unfortunately. The only time (out of a few) I got a response from them, it was basically just "all you can do is wait" type of thing. So I'm still waiting to hear about my Australia application. What country are you waiting on?

I'm waiting on Chile... My advisor both at my home institution and my host in Chile are really wondering when we are going to know when we can make travel plans as I'm supposed to spend the month of July there. When are you planning on traveling to Australia?

2 hours ago, my_silver_lining said:

I'm waiting on Chile... My advisor both at my home institution and my host in Chile are really wondering when we are going to know when we can make travel plans as I'm supposed to spend the month of July there. When are you planning on traveling to Australia?

I originally planned on starting on June 1 (very optimistic, I know!), but, well, considering no one knows what is going on yet, I will have to make more realistic plans somehow. Sorry that you are in the same boat, this uncertainty is very frustrating.

4 hours ago, paleoatmo said:

I"m still waiting to hear back from Australia as well. 

Fingers crossed they will notify us earlier than the end of May/early June this year. Do you know if your Australia host has been contacted yet? I'd guess they would hear something before we are formally notified. When were you planning on starting your trip and where in Australia are you hoping to go?

16 hours ago, Indie_soul said:

Fingers crossed they will notify us earlier than the end of May/early June this year. Do you know if your Australia host has been contacted yet? I'd guess they would hear something before we are formally notified. When were you planning on starting your trip and where in Australia are you hoping to go?

I know! I didn't propose to start until Mid October, but I would like to know ASAP, so I can start planning. I'm not sure, I haven't been in contact with my host, since I submitted last December. Melbourne, what about you?

22 minutes ago, paleoatmo said:

I know! I didn't propose to start until Mid October, but I would like to know ASAP, so I can start planning. I'm not sure, I haven't been in contact with my host, since I submitted last December. Melbourne, what about you?

I'm hoping to go to Sydney, although the timeline of this is getting complicated. It looks like last year people found out about Australia around May 25th, but they were planning on notifying earlier this year. I also have not been in touch with my host ever since I submitted the application, since I would not be able to provide them with any specific timeline at this point anyway...