NSF GRIP/GROW (2017-2018)

paleoatmo

@Chocoloca, lol I'm in the same boat. 

My acceptance was announced to my entire university, and I am still getting congratulation emails about it. My family started planning an international trip to come visit me. My prospective host started to help secure a temporary job for my partner. 

Needless to say, I have a lot of awkward backpeddaling to do.

Nothing left to do but to pour all of this emotional energy back into my research. Hopefully we will all be getting a second round of good news in the next month or so. 

I'll keep my eye on the forum if you still need more time to vent though :)

• 2 weeks later...

The false notifications about GROW acceptance is infuriating! Especially since NSF applications can be denied for small things like not having the correct margins or formatting requirements :/ I too appreciate the optimistic viewpoint of roadrunner797.

I'm waiting to hear about GRIP....has anyone heard anything?

@CrystalGG 

this is what I'm hoping as well. I highly doubt there is some "accept everyone" button, and more likely there is a "send notifications" button that sends award notifications to all of the individuals who actually had their applications approved.  Maybe that's just naive hope, but I'm sticking with it!

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, roadrunner797 said:

@rosekster, I know right? Last year they didn't get decision until May (and the program solicitation says notifications are sent out in April or May). So it may be more like trying to get a visa in one month. :P

I actually don't think I'll be able to do my project if we aren't notified soon...I won't be able to get the visa in time, and that is with having university connections with the embassy.

3 hours ago, roadrunner797 said:

@rosekster, it would also be nice to have this information before we have to submit our Fellowship Status in May!

Has anybody contacted the GRFP coordinators to see if they have a more specific timeframe they expect to have decisions by?

I contacted them back when they did the false acceptance (ugh) I got the typical “April May” response. I did go ahead and email my host country today to see if they could any indication but who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I keep getting people saying congrats to me who I didn't know heard about the false news of getting the GROW earlier this year and having to explain to them that I haven't gotten it yet, if at all, is so emotionally draining. I'm really trying not to have all of my self worth as a researcher tied up in whether or not I get this grant, and trying to actively put the possibility of me getting it at this point out of my mind to focus on my research at hand, but its hard. Good luck to everyone hearing back this month and if you've already gotten some good new congrats! 

5 hours ago, Frax22 said:

At this point I keep getting people saying congrats to me who I didn't know heard about the false news of getting the GROW earlier this year and having to explain to them that I haven't gotten it yet, if at all, is so emotionally draining. I'm really trying not to have all of my self worth as a researcher tied up in whether or not I get this grant, and trying to actively put the possibility of me getting it at this point out of my mind to focus on my research at hand, but its hard. Good luck to everyone hearing back this month and if you've already gotten some good new congrats! 

I just smile and walk away. It isn’t worth it to explain this mistake. 

I hope everyone hears soon! Still waiting on France 

Does anyone know how the funding is actually handled? Do we just get paid the money, or do we submit receipts for reimbursement for the eligible expenses? On the FAQ page, it just says "

"Allowances are provided to successful applicants (via their GRFP institution) as part of the
GRFP summer or fall funding increments."

My GRFP institute doesn't know what this means :/

On 5/11/2018 at 10:02 PM, PlethoraOfPuppies said:

Does anyone know how the funding is actually handled? Do we just get paid the money, or do we submit receipts for reimbursement for the eligible expenses? On the FAQ page, it just says "

"Allowances are provided to successful applicants (via their GRFP institution) as part of the
GRFP summer or fall funding increments."

My GRFP institute doesn't know what this means ?

The 5000 is distributed to your institution like how your stipend is. They are then in charge of making sure it’s jsed for appropriate expenses