University of Toronto 2017

8bdk477

18 hours ago, 8bdk477 said:

Hey! Are you accepting? Visiting? I've never been, but from what I've read its expensive to live there...

I am waiting to hear from McGill. I'll mostly go for UofT however. Yeah, it's quite expensive but I wouldn't wanna compromise on the cost cause Toronto has much better job opportunities. What about you?

18 hours ago, Pahi said:

Both are excellent programs for me and a great fit. I probably would've picked McGill to be able to live in Montreal because I've heard it's a great place. But my husband is a doctor and Montreal has language requirements so it'll be hard for him to work there. I would like to have him around going through an intense and grueling PhD program and Toronto isn't bad at all. 

Ah, yes. Toronto should be the ideal choice for you then. I would have picked Toronto over McGill any day cause of the massive job opportunities and no language restrictions ; but for my course, McGill has almost half the tuition fees as compared to UofT , so I'll have to take that into consideration as well.

Anyway, Congratulations and goodluck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Preemptive welcome to U of T!

I just wanted to reach out and offer myself up as a resource; I'm in my 5th year as a PhD student at U of T and a Union steward for CUPE 3902 (the local that you would have membership in if you're doing any TA work) and I like helping out the new recruits where possible, just as kind senior grad students in my program once helped me out! Feel free to tag me in questions or PM me and I'll respond to the best of my abilities!

Congrats and welcome!

On 5/15/2017 at 7:07 AM, xxxxxxxplz said:

Checking in, also looking for a roommate! :D

As am I... ^_^ Do you live in Toronto now? I'm moving from the US, so I don't know much about the city (besides impressions from my program visit). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 4:35 AM, surefire said:

Hi everyone! Preemptive welcome to U of T!

I just wanted to reach out and offer myself up as a resource; I'm in my 5th year as a PhD student at U of T and a Union steward for CUPE 3902 (the local that you would have membership in if you're doing any TA work) and I like helping out the new recruits where possible, just as kind senior grad students in my program once helped me out! Feel free to tag me in questions or PM me and I'll respond to the best of my abilities!

Congrats and welcome!

Hi!

Any suggestions of which area is better for renting a place to stay? I will be attending Engineering school at St. George. Thanks!

5 hours ago, chillipimien27 said:

Hi!

Any suggestions of which area is better for renting a place to stay? I will be attending Engineering school at St. George. Thanks!

Hi there @chillipimien27! Welcome to U of T!

Depends on what you mean by a 'better area'. Are you talking about convenience, given the location of your department? Or like, an area that is quiet or, alternatively, really active and vibrant? Or are you just referring to an area that is maybe affordable or where there are lots of rentals (there actually aren't lots of areas like that in Toronto these days, and it fluctuates based on whether or not you want to live alone)?

Feel free to respond or PM me if you want to get more explicit with your criteria and I can maybe make some recommendations. I know grad students who can walk to U of T from their apartments in neighbourhoods like the Annex, little Italy, Koreatown, or Kensington Market. But the rental market in Toronto is nuts right now so it can be hard in general to find available/affordable spots. In my opinion, if you just want to live somewhere where you can access the university fairly easily/regularly, your best best is to try to get a place within walking distance to a subway station; I live in Roncesvalles village which isn't walking distance to U of T but I can bike there in under half an hour and subway there in under 10 minutes and it's affordable and a cute neighbourhood. Alternatively, given the location of your department, you could also find somewhere close to College Street, which has a streetcar system that is close by (but I would say getting a place near a subway station is your best bet). So when you're looking at listings, google them to make sure that they're close to a subway stop.

I would also recommend, for your first apartment in the city, that you consider renting a room in an existing multi-room rental or, if you really want to live alone, consider subletting from someone else's lease. It's really hard to find an affordable apartment in Toronto right now, and it's especially hard when you're not familiar with the neighbourhoods and need to move quickly on listings so there's pressure to put up a lot of money on the spot (note that you should never rent anything sight-unseen). If you can find a listing for someone seeking a room-mate or a sublet, you can move in on an existing lease, get a feel for the city, then once you've got your bearings after a few months/your first year, you can strike out on your own or with people that you've met in your program. I would look on Facebook to see if there are any FB groups for your program, or you could ask to join Bunz Home Zone, which is a fabulous and huge FB community.

Let me know if you have any specific renting criteria/priorities and I can try to tailor the advice a bit more! Good luck!

@surefire Thank you!

I am moving to Toronto from St. John's NL and to be frankly I haven't really been around the city of Toronto before, hahaha.... So yes I really do not know where is more convenient for accommodations. I think I will take your advice to see if I can find any existing lease to sublet, if I don't get an offer to the Massey College, which I should find out soon in a couple of weeks.

If Massey any good tho?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I will be an incoming graduate student at the Department for the Study of Religion. I am from Toronto, so if anyone of you is already here and wants to grab a drink (preferably beer), let me know!

A UofT thread! I accepted an offer for an MASc in February and was looking for a thread like this back then!

Hi all, I'm coming over from Ireland, so I'm with a lot of you in needing to find somewhere to live, but I'll figure that out when I'm over there (Family friend is putting me up for 10 days while I house-hunt). If anyone has any leads in the meantime, I'm up for chatting! Reminder that fees are now up on ACORN, and if you have funding you can apply to defer payment until your $$$ come in (in September I guess). Anyone know when we can begin to enroll in courses?

5 hours ago, Ifyouletmefinnish said:

A UofT thread! I accepted an offer for an MASc in February and was looking for a thread like this back then!

Hi all, I'm coming over from Ireland, so I'm with a lot of you in needing to find somewhere to live, but I'll figure that out when I'm over there (Family friend is putting me up for 10 days while I house-hunt). If anyone has any leads in the meantime, I'm up for chatting! Reminder that fees are now up on ACORN, and if you have funding you can apply to defer payment until your $$$ come in (in September I guess). Anyone know when we can begin to enroll in courses?

ECE can register for 1000 level ECE courses on August 2nd.  If you want to take 500 level courses you need to add them to your cart and then email the graduate office so that they can enrol you.

Thanks for the defer payment notification, I forgot about that!

21 hours ago, formerfactory said:

ECE can register for 1000 level ECE courses on August 2nd.  If you want to take 500 level courses you need to add them to your cart and then email the graduate office so that they can enrol you.

Fantastic, thanks for the info!

I remember you from the admission results, you got an offer in the end I take it! Congrats, see you in September? 

39 minutes ago, Ifyouletmefinnish said:

Fantastic, thanks for the info!

I remember you from the admission results, you got an offer in the end I take it! Congrats, see you in September? 

I got the offer early April but the topic was largely buried so I decided against resurrecting it.  I just received notification that I will be receiving an OGS scholarship.  I'm quite happy about it because I was offered NSERC CGS-M but was set on U of T.  

Absolutely, I'll be at the orientation we should grab a drink sometime.

8 minutes ago, formerfactory said:

I got the offer early April but the topic was largely buried so I decided against resurrecting it.  I just received notification that I will be receiving an OGS scholarship.  I'm quite happy about it because I was offered NSERC CGS-M but was set on U of T.  

Absolutely, I'll be at the orientation we should grab a drink sometime.

My man! I just got OGS too, although I didn't get CGS-M so congrats on that too, it's an honour to be offered it even if it's for a different school (presumably?).

A drink would be great, although I don't land in TO until August 19th. I'll DM you when I'm there!

49 minutes ago, Ifyouletmefinnish said:

My man! I just got OGS too, although I didn't get CGS-M so congrats on that too, it's an honour to be offered it even if it's for a different school (presumably?).

A drink would be great, although I don't land in TO until August 19th. I'll DM you when I'm there!

That's great!  Sounds good to me!

• 3 weeks later...