SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Thank you for saying something. I feel so much better. Breathing and I even started working!!

Canuckonomist and bad breath this looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship :D oh ya and north star too...

Threesomes are so much more fun! I mean, academic threesomes, of course.

Edited by Canuckonomist

I was awarded for 105,000 over 48 months - a funding package that does not exist. While I am excited, the prospect of being given 105,000 and then losing 25,000 of it when my letter arrives is somewhat worrisome. I would rather not know at this stage.

Congrats, LogicBomb!

May I ask how did you find out?

Thank you for saying something. I feel so much better. Breathing and I even started working!!

Canuckonomist and bad breath this looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship biggrin.gif oh ya and north star too...

Bonding over this stressful process...

Hey, if we get SSHRCs, we should have a congratulations drink! laugh.gif

(do you think I just jinxed it? ohmy.gif )

Bonding over this stressful process...

Hey, if we get SSHRCs, we should have a congratulations drink! laugh.gif

(do you think I just jinxed it? ohmy.gif )

i'm game. any excuse to celebrate (or commiserate) with other grad students over a pint or seven is good for me.

Montreal bagel and cream cheese here. Big thunderstorm in Montreal right now... the mailman's gonna be late ! Anyway it will arrive tomorrow while I'm out for a lab reunion.

Kingston ----sunny, a bit of wind and slight chill in the air. Also the lilacs are half in bloom!

I thought I heard the familiar sound of shoving envelopes through mailslots, but nothing happened here. So there are two options, neither of them bodes well for me:

Either there is no main for me today and the dude just skipped over my door,

or I'm starting to hear things that aren't there. ohmy.gif

Kingston ----sunny, a bit of wind and slight chill in the air. Also the lilacs are half in bloom!

Don't tell me that. I miss Kingston enough as it is (twice a Queen's Alumnus)

Its comforting to know I'm not the only one out there sitting in front of a computer "working" and pressing the refresh button! i'm living vicariously through you guys in ontario right now, cuz i have my doubts letters will make it to the west coast this week <_<

Congrats, Logicbomb!

Yeah, but the point is that $105,000 awards are CGS or 'big' SSHRCs, which pay out over 36 months, not 48. So either the number of months or the dollar amount has to be wrong.

Ya. I found out through email. my Director of Graduate studies has no idea - he found out from an assistant dean. I was told to wait for my letter. I am obviously hoping the months are wrong.

Nothing in the mail for me today either wacko.gif. I spoke to the Financial Awards Officer (OISE at UofT) to see if they got the results yet... she says they have been told that they will receive them in late May or early June. So it's back to mail watching for me...

Ya. I found out through email. my Director of Graduate studies has no idea - he found out from an assistant dean. I was told to wait for my letter. I am obviously hoping the months are wrong.

LOL - I was just sent another email letting me know that I received the small SSHRC. Now I don't know how to feel. Roller coaster of a morning: Jubilation, confusion, anxiety, disappointment, acceptance.

gooooood somebody say something. I am sitting here with my laptop and bowl of Honey bunches of oats hitting the refresh button... when what I should be doing is redrafting chapter three of my thesis. And I keep thinking well one more look and then back to work. Geesh.....

That is so funny because I did the exact same thing... including honey bunches of oats :) (with peaches).

In order to divert myself from waiting for results somewhat. I wondered if any of you U of T people understand how their funding system works? From what I understand, when you get OGS they suck up all of your internal funding, so you're left with $15k regardless. It seems like if you get SSHRC, you still get paid for TAing. Is this the case? So if you got SSHRC fellowship you'd actually receive $28k, but is tuition then deducted from that?

Sorry for changing the subject somewhat, but I've been a bit confused (and quite annoyed) over this and it's sort of pertinent to this board.

In order to divert myself from waiting for results somewhat. I wondered if any of you U of T people understand how their funding system works? From what I understand, when you get OGS they suck up all of your internal funding, so you're left with $15k regardless. It seems like if you get SSHRC, you still get paid for TAing. Is this the case? So if you got SSHRC fellowship you'd actually receive $28k, but is tuition then deducted from that?

Sorry for changing the subject somewhat, but I've been a bit confused (and quite annoyed) over this and it's sort of pertinent to this board.

It all depends on the breakdown of your funding. At U of T, I usually get $30.5K after first year (this year was a sweet funding package), which is $2800 RA, $16930 TA (420 hours), $7500 Tuition grant, and the rest, $3270, in fellowship. So I never lose all of OGS, just the grant money, which is tuition, and the UTF top-up, that totals about $11K. Same with SSHRC. I found this out after I didn't apply for OGS because a staff member told me it would all get replaced. Next year, if I don't have SSHRC, I will apply again for OGS (I had OGS this year). So, OGS would give me $35K instead of the usual $30.5K. Small SSHRC is the big score, at $40K, and big SSHRC forfeits some of my TA, I think, but I believe I still get $40-45K. I really hope I score one of these awards.

Edited by Canuckonomist

From what I understand SSHRC lets you work a certain number of hours per year, so most schools let you work. At York I was told I can keep a 1/2 TA if I get a CGS and a full TA if I get a PGS because the health benefits I get as a TA are much better than the ones I get from the GSA.

It all depends on the breakdown of your funding. At U of T, I usually get $30.5K after first year (this year was a sweet funding package), which is $2800 RA, $16930 TA (420 hours), $7500 Tuition grant, and the rest, $3270, in fellowship. So I never lose all of OGS, just the grant money, which is tuition, and the UTF top-up, that totals about $11K. Same with SSHRC. I found this out after I didn't apply for OGS because a staff member told me it would all get replaced. Next year, if I don't have SSHRC, I will apply again for OGS (I had OGS this year). So, OGS would give me $35K instead of the usual $30.5K. Small SSHRC is the big score, at $40K, and big SSHRC forfeits some of my TA, I think, but I believe I still get $40-45K. I really hope I score one of these awards.

I see. I have a feeling that I'm being screwed over. I haven't actually seen a breakdown of funding, but I was told that the standard package is $15k for living, plus whatever tuition is (which I expect would put it at somewhere close to $25k over all). I had also seen that TAships were valued at only $8k. Does this differ according to discipline? As far as I know (from talking to people with much more impressive CVs than myself) no one in History this year received a much better package.

I know someone who had an OGS in history last year. She was told that if she wanted to TA, she'd be given $15,600 rather than $15,000.

I see. I have a feeling that I'm being screwed over. I haven't actually seen a breakdown of funding, but I was told that the standard package is $15k for living, plus whatever tuition is (which I expect would put it at somewhere close to $25k over all). I had also seen that TAships were valued at only $8k. Does this differ according to discipline? As far as I know (from talking to people with much more impressive CVs than myself) no one in History this year received a much better package.

I know someone who had an OGS in history last year. She was told that if she wanted to TA, she'd be given $15,600 rather than $15,000.

You're not actually being screwed over. It's about the amount of TAing available. The standard TAship (140 hours) is $8.5K, and the minimum funding across the board is usually Tuition plus $15K (the 21.5K or so you're used to). That's what I would be getting, but we have the option of undertaking a second TAship (another 140 hours) for another $8.5K. That's what shores us up to $30.5K. If you're not doing any RA work, then your UTF is bigger, and I'm getting screwed.

On that note, if we take OGS or SSHRC, things change, but for us it's mostly just the fellowship/tuition grant stuff that changes, unless the new award states you can't work.

How did you get the tuition grant. As far as I understand I have to pay my tuition from my package which is 18k for the three terms each year.

How did you get the tuition grant. As far as I understand I have to pay my tuition from my package which is 18k for the three terms each year.

$18K for tuition? You must be in a specialized program, then.