SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Can someone confirm that the results that are coming out today are for the PhD funding, and that the MA (Masters) is not out yet.

In other words, are there people here who already heard about their Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master's funding?

Thanks!!

LOL, that's probably a bit optimistic, mudlark (though of course I would love to be bumped up!).

So if I get one now I should go back to Canada for my final dissertation and get bumped up ;) just joking you know. To me the "small SSHRC" is huge :)

I don't know my score yet, but I just found out that I got a CGS! Guess lack of publications didn't matter after all :)

So when are we going for drinks??

How did you find out? E-mail, mail, call? From SSHRC, your school/program? PLEASE BE SPECIFIC, PEOPLE.

just found got the news from my department head... I won a small SSHRC for 4years.

I wont know my score until I get the posted mail, but I'll post details when I do.

The only thing I know is that my sub-group was Methods and Techniques, and finishing

my MA thesis wont be so bad.

cheers

PS.

anyone else in the lower mainland up for drinks?

I think it's safe to assume that most of these people found out from their school/program via email or phone call. I don't think a single person today mentioned receiving a letter. I think we'll get a few of those tomorrow though! (Not me though :()

How did you find out? E-mail, mail, call? From SSHRC, your school/program? PLEASE BE SPECIFIC, PEOPLE.

i got 20,000 for 2 years (I'm in 2nd year currently) :) I may not be the best funded graduate student, but I think I might be the happiest!

for anyone who is curious, I'm at SFU...I found out from the Grad Studies Office directly (in person, with student card in hand), and they have emailed all of the grad secretaries for each department

Edited by cab123

Hello Everyone:

Firstly, please allow me to say congratulations to everyone who has received a SSHRC and ‘stay strong!’ to everyone who is waiting for results, or has received negative news. Secondly, I have been an anonymous ‘lurker’ thus on this Form for quite a while. However, I am now changing my ways since I feel obligated to add to the discussion what might possibly be relevant information. I was informed via an email from my department that I was awarded a SSHRC of some kind and that the official letter will be arriving soon. For context, I’m a doctoral student studying history in Montreal and like long walks on the beach lol … sorry … I don’t really do ‘serious’.

Can someone confirm that the results that are coming out today are for the PhD funding, and that the MA (Masters) is not out yet.

In other words, are there people here who already heard about their Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master's funding?

Thanks!!

the secretary i spoke to at the Grad Studies Office told me that they had not received the MA results yet

As I mentioned a few pages back, McGill's fellowships officer has told me that the Masters results are currently expected "by the end of the month."

As I mentioned a few pages back, McGill's fellowships officer has told me that the Masters results are currently expected "by the end of the month."

I'm not sure I believe this. I'll e-mail the SSHRC. We'll see.

Congratulations, everyone!!!

I'm so antsy to get my letter. (I'm in the US and anticipating Saturday or Monday)

Okay, I HATE to do this, but for those of you who heard via mail, was it a thick or thin envelope?

Also, let's stop calling it a "small" SSHRC. It's a LOT of money, especially if you are in the US and have your tuition covered.

Whereabouts are you in the US? I'm in the midwest and have no idea when to expect the letter. Also, I don't think any of the posters today received a letter in the mail.

(And I think you are right to say that it's no small amount of money and that "small" SSHRC is a bit of a misnomer.)

Congratulations, everyone!!!

I'm so antsy to get my letter. (I'm in the US and anticipating Saturday or Monday)

Okay, I HATE to do this, but for those of you who heard via mail, was it a thick or thin envelope?

Also, let's stop calling it a "small" SSHRC. It's a LOT of money, especially if you are in the US and have your tuition covered.

As a longtime lurker who found out today that I wasn't successful in my application... any chance those who were successful could post stats on the GPA/presentations/publications that got them their scores? It'd be nice to know what successful CVs look like before I have to re-apply in next year's competition.

Thanks, and congrats to everyone who got it!

Edited by SpaceJump

I'm not sure I believe this. I'll e-mail the SSHRC. We'll see.

Are you planning on doing that tonight? I had planned on emailing them, too, but I'd rather not overload them with the same question.

Perhaps calling it a SSHRC Fellowship is more suitable (considering that's what it is)?

Also, I don't think the MAs really need to worry about results coming out late. From what I understand, the MA competition works differently; virtually everyone who gets recommended at the MA level gets funding because each university gets a fixed quota of CGSs (unlike SSHRC doctoral which only guarantees a number of applicants, not wins). At least at my MA university that's what I was told.

Also, congratulations to everyone who has had good news, but for those of us left, hasn't the torture of waiting become so much more intensified now that so many people are finding out? At least for me, I keep expecting the worst.

Are you planning on doing that tonight? I had planned on emailing them, too, but I'd rather not overload them with the same question.

I did an hour ago, don't worry I'll publish their answer as soon as I get it... even if I don't need it anymore. Solidarity!

AL

I live in Ottawa and received my results in the mail today. I applied directly to SSHRC (I begin studies in the fall). I won a CGS Doctoral Award. Scored 24.9/30. Arrived in a regular sized envelope - five sheets of paper. Thanks to all the posters. I was getting a little discouraged by the wait until I realized I wasn't alone. I wish you all patience and good luck.

Perhaps calling it a SSHRC Fellowship is more suitable (considering that's what it is)?

Also, I don't think the MAs really need to worry about results coming out late. From what I understand, the MA competition works differently; virtually everyone who gets recommended at the MA level gets funding because each university gets a fixed quota of CGSs (unlike SSHRC doctoral which only guarantees a number of applicants, not wins). At least at my MA university that's what I was told.

Also, congratulations to everyone who has had good news, but for those of us left, hasn't the torture of waiting become so much more intensified now that so many people are finding out? At least for me, I keep expecting the worst.

I know my candidature was strongly recommanded, but still I haven't had an answer yet... and I've learned to not take things for granted! Any other francos here ?

Yep, me too.

Also received word today that i was my application was successful -- CGS!

I had to contact the graduate studies office directly to find out, but i was able to get the info. Congrats to everyone else who have heard and best of luck to those still waiting. Will post stats when I receive the letter.