SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Congratulations, everyone!!!

I'm so antsy to get my letter. (I'm in the US and anticipating Saturday or Monday)

Okay, I HATE to do this, but for those of you who heard via mail, was it a thick or thin envelope?

Also, let's stop calling it a "small" SSHRC. It's a LOT of money, especially if you are in the US and have your tuition covered.

I am with you...

I emailed SSHRC as the mail is likely to get here when I leave from US to Canada on a trip home... They said they forwarded my email and file to a program officer. What's a program officer? Is that someone at SSHRC?

Thanks

---- ok received news back right away that they would send a copy letter to an address in Canada which does not help me as I am traveling all over Canada. Oh well... hoping for the mail to come either today or tomorrow. crossing my fingers

Edited by hbaert

Can someone confirm that the results that are coming out today are for the PhD funding, and that the MA (Masters) is not out yet.

In other words, are there people here who already heard about their Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master's funding?

Thanks!!

First of all, congrats to everyone :)

My grad studies department didn't receive the MA results till now.

Quote:

"We have not received the SSHRC Master’s results as of yet, we have only received the SSHRC Doctoral results. Joanne will let you know as soon as we get the results."

(I'm in St. Catharines, ON)

I emailed SSHRC as the mail is likely to get here when I leave from US to Canada on a trip home... They said they forwarded my email and file to a program officer. What's a program officer? Is that someone at SSHRC?

For future reference, a program officer is the person at SSHRC you want to talk to.... the one who will give you answers (unfortunately, not always the ones you want to hear!)

Congrats to everyone with successful results. I'm still waiting to hear either way. :unsure:

Hi all,

Haven't posted very much, but have been reading the thread nervously.

Just wanted to let you know that I just received my letter today in Toronto so they should be arriving for a lot of you.

By the way.. Got it! The non-CGS SSHRC. (I'm in second year Ph.D.)

Didn't get it. :( Not sure what happened - I think it may be at least partially due to the fact that my application might have been better suited to NSERC (I'm a Psych student). My score was 13 but they say I'm on a wait list, which to me sounds preposterous. Is this just a way of making people feel better?

Oh, I was able to get SSHRC to give me my letter via email because I have another funding source that has been waiting for me to give them an answer for two months and they were getting impatient with me and asked me to see if I could get the answer asap. I think it's at the program officer's discretion whether they think your situation is urgent. Mine was and I'm glad I've been able to finally let people know where things stand.

Anyway, congrats again to all who were successful, and for those who weren't, don't feel too bad! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and look to the future. Being able to handle rejection is an important part of being successful and well adjusted! Just keep doing good work and taking risks and sooner or later you will prevail! :)

i got am email moments ago. got the small sshrc. or rather, the fellowship. here's hoping it gets bumped up!!

haven't received the letter yet so i don't know my score, but i will post when i find out.

good luck everyone!

Anyway, congrats again to all who were successful, and for those who weren't, don't feel too bad! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and look to the future. Being able to handle rejection is an important part of being successful and well adjusted! Just keep doing good work and taking risks and sooner or later you will prevail! :)

i agree 1,000%. since starting my PhD, i have faced more rejections (awards, conferences, etc) than ever before. my MA gave me an inflated sense of confidence, and so far the PhD is teaching me how to deal with rejection big time. still waiting for the mail today, but i am expecting the worst.

Well, I hope you get it. :) Yep, rejection is a bit humbling. Also, I think "success/failure" can't be measured by individual wins/losses, but rather the overall trajectory, which no doubt will be influenced by your persistence...

i agree 1,000%. since starting my PhD, i have faced more rejections (awards, conferences, etc) than ever before. my MA gave me an inflated sense of confidence, and so far the PhD is teaching me how to deal with rejection big time. still waiting for the mail today, but i am expecting the worst.

A small remark for people here who have already started their program, received an award, and thus had May 1st (2010) as their start date:

Not only that you can ask that your award will start at Sep. 1st (2010), but you are in fact ELIGIBLE for it, so that you can simply make a request to change the start date and they'll change it (though I guess this is only relevant for people who are in their 1st year of the program, because those who are in the second, might have their duration of the award changed [in a case of a change of start date], so take note of that).

Had anyone in Toronto received their mail yet? The people who work at the desk of my building probably think I'm insane... I've checked my mailbox like 5 times this morning (knowing full well that the mail often doesn't come until the afternoon).

Had anyone in Toronto received their mail yet? The people who work at the desk of my building probably think I'm insane... I've checked my mailbox like 5 times this morning (knowing full well that the mail often doesn't come until the afternoon).

Looks like Mariokrat did:

Hi all,

Haven't posted very much, but have been reading the thread nervously.

Just wanted to let you know that I just received my letter today in Toronto so they should be arriving for a lot of you.

By the way.. Got it! The non-CGS SSHRC. (I'm in second year Ph.D.)

I emailed SSHRC on Wednesday explaining that I needed the answer so I can send in my certification of finances (American school).. no response! My school is also waiting because they want to give me a TA ship if I don't get SSHRC. Those of you who got answers, where did you send the email? I am in Alberta and don't expect the letter until Monday or Tuesday *sob*

i feel that way about the owner of the store i live above...she probably thinks i am some sort of recluse freak. the last few days i've probably checked my mailbox 25 times.

Hey all!

Congrats again to everyone who got it, and condolences to those like myself who didn't. Seeing someone with a Big SSHRC and a score of 19.6/30 makes me hopeful of the waitlist (I'm not saying your score was low, just that mine was high!). My score was 17.9/30 and I was recommended not funded. They said I'm high on the waitlist, so I hope that's a good thing. I think I'll e-mail SSHRC today to ask exactly where. Does anyone know the contact at SSHRC for this kind of stuff? (E-mail). Also, when you get the letter, if small sshrc-ies wouldn't mind disclosing their score, I'd love to get a vague sense of where I am on the waitlist. There may be hope for me yet.

Mariokrat, what was your score?

For drinks, Torontonians, I'm up for it. PM me for my contact info, and we'll meet up! I don't feel entirely beaten yet.

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

I just found out from my grad secretary that I was unsuccessful (CGS nominated). I am quite sad about this, but the Chair of my new program wants to start me on the road for a Vanier application.

I'm wondering if there is any point to this. If I am not deemed worthy to receive 35,000, how would I even be considered for 50,000?

Thoughts?

I regret putting down my parents' address for correspondence with SSHRC. I have to rely on them to check the mail!

GRRRRRRRR

I feel your pain. I no longer live at the address that SSHRC has on file for me. When I moved, I set up mail forwarding to my parents place on the west coast. Now I am kicking myself for not emailing SSHRC to update my address to my new place in Toronto, I am sure I would have my results by now!

I did an hour ago, don't worry I'll publish their answer as soon as I get it... even if I don't need it anymore. Solidarity!

AL

No letter today. :( Any response to your email yet?

I really wish that SSHRC would release the results all at once. I know that the stakes are much higher for doctoral awards, but whether or not I have a Masters scholarship makes a huge difference in my summer plans, so not knowing is really starting to aggravate me.

All the same, huge congrats to those of you who've been successful!

Edited by Compoe