SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

OK - trying not to excite myself too much. I just found out I'm 2nd on the waiting list in my subgroup, and that two people in my subgroup got the Vanier. Meaning if both of them take the Vanier, they have to decline the SSHRC doctoral. Then, the first two on the waitlist (including me!) will get funding...

My question is: are there any circumstances when anyone would turn down the Vanier, but take the doctoral?

OK - trying not to excite myself too much. I just found out I'm 2nd on the waiting list in my subgroup, and that two people in my subgroup got the Vanier. Meaning if both of them take the Vanier, they have to decline the SSHRC doctoral. Then, the first two on the waitlist (including me!) will get funding...

My question is: are there any circumstances when anyone would turn down the Vanier, but take the doctoral?

May I ask how you found out your rank on the waitlist? If you emailed SSHRC, how soon did they respond?

May I ask how you found out your rank on the waitlist? If you emailed SSHRC, how soon did they respond?

I called the SSHRC office and asked if I could find out my place on the waitlist... they transferred me to someone who was happy to walk me through the process. They were great, really informative and friendly.

I called the SSHRC office and asked if I could find out my place on the waitlist... they transferred me to someone who was happy to walk me through the process. They were great, really informative and friendly.

Does anyone think it's worthwhile calling SSHRC at this point to get results? It seems kind of weird that they'll tell people where they rank on a waitlist, but they won't say whether someone has won or not.

All I can say from my experience is, I definitely think they're being inundated with calls right now. I did have to say that I'd already received my letter before they would transfer me. And the webite does say that yes/no results won't be discussed over phone or email. That's all I know from my call...

Just got a call from Michelle St. Pierre, the Program officer from my section. Apparently 36 people in my sub-committee got an award, and I am 1st on the alternate list for my sub-committee. She said to me, while smiling and laughing "Your chances of an award are VERY VERY good." I'm not holding my breath, but I'm happy.

To those who've received their letters/know their scores already, mind posting some more details (if you haven't already)? What might be helpful is knowing the subcategory of your research. Any philosophers or classicists hear back yet?

1. Funded/notfunded/waistlisted; Score out of 30, other score details, if applicable (if they broke it down by categories, etc.)

2. City

3. Letter received: date; Letter postmarked: date; Letter dated: date

4. Subject area and/or committee

5. Applied through your university or direct to Ottawa

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010)

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship??

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful: business-related project pitch? publications? major conference presentations? second time applying? MA SSHRC? OGS?

Feel free not to include anything you don't want to include. And remember, this is for posterity. Gladiators…I salute you!

Finally got my letter.

Score: 19.20 / 30

They also say I must notify the council whether I wish to accept - which can be done by email.

However, they also mention I should also notify SGS - how do I do that? also by email? to whom?

Are there any forms to sign in order to activate the award? I don't see any forms in the envelope?

And Canuck - (almost) congrats. VERY good news.

When everyone in TO receive their letters, we can set time and place for drinks.

Being a future economist, I believe in the value of data.

1. Waitlisted (1st on alternate list!), 17.9/30

2. Toronto

3. Letter received: May 7th; Letter postmarked: May 5th; Letter dated: May 3rd.

4. Subject area and/or committee: Economics

5. Applied through the university

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010): If awarded, 2nd year Ph.D

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? N/A

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful:

- publications: 1 second-author, small

- second time applying

- OGS for 1st year.

And Canuck - (almost) congrats. VERY good news.

Thanks. I really hope so. It relies on either someone winning a Vanier (come on, someone in my group must win one! Wow... I'm actually cheering on other applicants...), decline because they don't get into/choose not to pursue their program (hopefully not the former) or they find a couple more bucks under the couch. Someone win a Vanier. PLEASE.

Then everyone in TO receive their letters, we can set time and place for drinks.

Sounds great to me. I won't exactly be dancing on tables that night, but I'm still happy to know I went from failing and the university-wide level last year, to being 1st in line for an award this year. Is a victory for the understudy on the horizon? Defeat at this point would be such a shot through the heart, don't you think?

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

I'm going to repeat my question since I've checked the mail 4 times today and it doesn't even usually show up for another hour...

Those of you who got responses directly from SSHRC, what email address did you send your question to? I haven't even gotten a response to say, "wait for the letter," I've gotten no response at all and it's been 2 days.

To answer Hypatia's questions:

1. Funded, regular SSHRC ; 19.20 out of 30,

2. Toronto

3. Letter received May 7; Letter postmarked: May 5; Letter dated: May 3 (they kept it around their office for two whole days!)

4. Subject area and/or committee: I'm not sure I remember. It might have been history. Is that helpful?

5. Applied through my university

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award: 3

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? no idea.

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful: business-related project pitch? no. publications? one article accepted. major conference presentations? yes. One at the time of application. second time applying? yes, but last time I didn't pass the dept stage. Also awarded OGS but will decline (when the letter finally comes).

I'll pitch in, too:

1. Waitlisted (2nd on alternate list!) - 18.60 / 30.

2. Montreal

3. Letter received: May 7; Letter postmarked: May 5

4. Psychology/linguistics/counselling

5. Applied through university

6. 1st year PhD in Sept 2010

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? n/a

8. First time applying/1 publication/8 conferences

Just got a call from Michelle St. Pierre, the Program officer from my section. Apparently 36 people in my sub-committee got an award, and I am 1st on the alternate list for my sub-committee. She said to me, while smiling and laughing "Your chances of an award are VERY VERY good." I'm not holding my breath, but I'm happy.

ok good for you! i'm so happy for you :)

Has anyone in Vancouver received the news yet or is all the action in the Toronto area today?

I heard the news from the grad studies office (I'm at SFU); no letter yet though. They should be here Monday/Tuesday. If you can, try going to the grad studies office in person with your student card.

(someone in my sub-group win a Vanier! Come on, I know it's in you!)

Did the person you spoke to say that someone still has to win it? Or that they have to accept it? I spoke to the same person, and she said that two people in my subgroup had been offered the Vanier, and if they both accept it, I'm in. Hopefully that's the case with you - someone may have already been offered it! You may already be a winner! :)

Did the person you spoke to say that someone still has to win it? Or that they have to accept it? I spoke to the same person, and she said that two people in my subgroup had been offered the Vanier, and if they both accept it, I'm in. Hopefully that's the case with you - someone may have already been offered it! You may already be a winner! :)

Yikes, I forgot to ask! I just sent a quick e-mail. I hate bothering her. She's such a lovely lady.

End of lurking. Here's my info:

1. Waitlisted (hopefully 2nd on alternate list!), 17.8/30

2. Queen's, presently live in Ottawa

4. Subject area and/or committee: Economics

5. Applied from outside, work presently as civil servant

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010): If awarded, 1st year PhD

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? I think not

- OGS Application rejected

- Received FQRSC and Internationalist Bombardier for MA (waitlisted for both, so I'm kind of used to it...)

- MA in Germany

Best of luck to all!

My info. Sorry, forgot to include it earlier:

1. Received CGS. But I got a hold of someone at SSHRC, and she also thinks a mistake was made (since I am in my second year, and shouldn't be eligible), and I will probably be bumped into the other SSHRC. So for those of you on the waiting list for Sociology/Social Sciences, you might get a call! Score: 21.5/30

2. Montreal

4. Subject area and/or committee: Sociology

5. Applied from within university

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010): If awarded, 3rd year PhD

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? No

- no publications, but 1 conference presentation; also my topic has to do with diasporas and conflicting allegiances, which I was told made it a "sexy" topic (haha, whatever that means)

2 people in my sub-committee have been offered Vaniers. This may be time to semi-celebrate. Excuse me while I do a happy dance.

2 people in my sub-committee have been offered Vaniers. This may be time to semi-celebrate. Excuse me while I do a happy dance.

Then you and I are in the exact same situation! Woo-hoo! Not to be too premature, but congratulations!

... course, we probably won't get official notice for another month...

Then you and I are in the exact same situation! Woo-hoo! Not to be too premature, but congratulations!

... course, we probably won't get official notice for another month...

Absolutely. Not to be too premature, of course. I'd be a victim of the Machina Paradox should I lose this one now. Best of luck to everyone, I should head back to comps studying -after all, I need to pass them to be able to hold the award, should I actually end up winning it!

Canuck

Yay! Finally!

1. Funded

2. Victoria

3. Letter received: N/A found out from grad studies

4. Subject area and/or committee: History

5. Applied through your university or direct to Ottawa: University

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010): Three ($20,000 x 2)

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? No

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful: business-related project pitch? publications? major conference presentations? second time applying? 4 publications; 5 conferences

EXCELLENT news!

As we discussed earlier regarding the ;) you have reason to be happy. unless the woman is a sadist she is unlikely to laugh and say "very very good"

hooray!