SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Got my letter today, so here are my stats for posterity:

1. Received doctoral fellowship, score 19.3.

2. Alberta

3. Letter received: May 10th

4. Subject area and/or committee: English lit

5. Applied from within university

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010): 2nd year PhD

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? Nope

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful: Applied last year, got a score of 15. One conference, no publications, but great letters a (hopefully) solid proposal, loads of teaching and service, a master's SSHRC, and a very strong record of internal funding.

Sooo I'm coming out of lurking mode! Congratulations to everyone who has been successful so far! Has anyone waiting to hear about the Masters results emailed SSHRC to get any updated information re. results/mail? I just don't want to email them if they've heard from lots of people already. Good luck to everyone!

I e-mailed them today and got this response:

Hi,

The results should be mailed sometime next week.

Edited by TOPlanner

has anyone had any luck negotiating with U of T to still have tuition covered, rather than having it come out of SSHRC? I know that in some departments you keep your award, they pay your tuition still, and sometimes you even get a bonus/prize for winning. In my department, they claw back the tuition. Wondering if anyone has any experience asking to keep the whole thing :) I'm a bit shy about asking about money, so I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

has anyone had any luck negotiating with U of T to still have tuition covered, rather than having it come out of SSHRC? I know that in some departments you keep your award, they pay your tuition still, and sometimes you even get a bonus/prize for winning. In my department, they claw back the tuition. Wondering if anyone has any experience asking to keep the whole thing :) I'm a bit shy about asking about money, so I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

In my experience, it's pretty standard practice for departments to take the tuition out of the SSHRC. At least that's what mine did during my master's, and I know that's also U of T policy. Often departments make it mandatory to apply for external funding, as far as i know it's simply a way of them saving money. Might be non-negotiable.

Welcome to U of T where applying for external funding is usually a crapshoot for the student. As I understand it, you lose both the tuition fellowship, and what ever extra U of T Fellowship you're getting. Most of the time that comes out to losing about $10,000.

Queen's was so much better with this. Sure you'd lose the $11,000 QGA, but then you'd get a $5,000 bonus for winning SSHRC, and therefore, you only lost $6,000. Either way, you're going to lose some cash, and it'll probably be Tuition + your UTF.

EDIT: Sometimes, you even lose the opportunity to TA so that in essence, you make the same amount of money as you would under the department funding package, but instead aren't working. I personally hate that method, as I love teaching. I've debated telling them I'll quit if they try taking away my TAships.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

ok, Thursday is soon, Torontonians. are we still on? shall we say 4pm at the Victory? this will be my first time "meeting people on the internet." how will we know who is who?

ok, Thursday is soon, Torontonians. are we still on? shall we say 4pm at the Victory? this will be my first time "meeting people on the internet." how will we know who is who?

why don't we wait a bit until the masters results come out as well as students waiting about being possible upgraded to the CGS and or those on the waiting list? Celebrate altogether! With what we have so far it'll be like just three of us.

why don't we wait a bit until the masters results come out as well as students waiting about being possible upgraded to the CGS and or those on the waiting list? Celebrate altogether! With what we have so far it'll be like just three of us.

Three of us? I think it's 4 or 5, maybe more (you, bad breath, Northernstar, myself and one or two others, I think). There is nothing wrong with celebrating/commiserating twice. I mean, I'm still coming out, and I have yet to get an award. 4pm at the Victory sounds great. I'll likely wear my brown corduroy 'old-man' hat, and a black blazer. I've never been to Victory, so it'll be new for me. I'll PM bad breath, and who ever is coming, with my cell number.

Besides, nearing the end of the month, I'll be locked away even more, in intense comps study mode, and those of us on the waitlist won't likely hear about our results until June.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Three of us? I think it's 4 or 5, maybe more (you, bad breath, Northernstar, myself and one or two others, I think). There is nothing wrong with celebrating/commiserating twice. I mean, I'm still coming out, and I have yet to get an award. 4pm at the Victory sounds great. I'll likely wear my brown corduroy 'old-man' hat, and a black blazer. I've never been to Victory, so it'll be new for me. I'll PM bad breath, and who ever is coming, with my cell number.

Besides, nearing the end of the month, I'll be locked away even more, in intense comps study mode, and those of us on the waitlist won't likely hear about our results until June.

sounds good. the victory is nice -- great food, good selection of microbrews. it's also kind of a grad-student-y hangout so a gaggle of doctoral dorks might not stick out so much.

Not to be a total wet blanket, but could you guys maybe start another thread for this meet-up conversation? Like, "SSHRC Victory Party" or something? I'm still relying on this thread for updates about the SSHRC results, and the unrelated updates can be a bit frustrating.

Not to be a total wet blanket, but could you guys maybe start another thread for this meet-up conversation? Like, "SSHRC Victory Party" or something? I'm still relying on this thread for updates about the SSHRC results, and the unrelated updates can be a bit frustrating.

woops...sorry!

Don't be shy about this! I think you need to get comfortable asking these kinds of questions. I'm surprised they claw back your tuition. Do you still get a funding package from the school? You should find out if TAing or RAing for at least some hours per week will be enough to get your tuition fully covered. This is all very important stuff to know - don't hesitate to talk to your grad coordinator - that's what he's/she's there for!

I think part of the incentive for getting an external award is that you will come out better off than if you were just funded on your department's stipend. Otherwise, I think it's a bit greedy of the department. For example, in my case, if I had won the SSHRC, my tuition would still be covered and the money would be mine - the department wins anyway because they don't have to fund me with the stipend. With SSHRC, in my department, you would still have to work 10 hrs per week because of SSHRC rules (i.e., it's counted as less than a 20 hr appointment, and we need to have a 20 hr appointment in order get a full tuition remission and health benefits). With the other award I got (internal) I have the option of TAing or RAing on top in order to increase my income. I can see why some departments wouldn't want you to work if you have a fellowship - a fellowship is supposed to free up time for research, and TAing is a time-eater. But that said, if it's the only way to top up your funds (as it is in my case), then I would do it (but only 5-10 hrs, and an RAship preferably). In my case, I will get teaching experience down.

For anyone waiting for doctoral results in BC, today might be your day! I received my letter this morning.

1. Received doctoral fellowship, score 23/30 (I could only get the fellowship due to the fact that I will be entering my 3rd year).

2. Vancouver

3. Letter received: May 11th

4. Subject area and/or committee: Psych/Comm/Ling

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010): 3rd year PhD

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? Doubtful given my research topic ;)

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful: Third time applying, first time getting out of the university (likely due to my publication being on this application) -- I submitted pretty much the same proposal all three years and ALMOST didn't apply this year because I was frustrated with the previous two rejections. Over 10 conference presentations (posters and talks), one first author publication in a good journal, an undergrad NSERC, master's SSHRC, as well as other awards for research, teaching, and service work. Best advice I can give -- check with your department and grad studies offices to see if you can add onto your application once you've submitted it. My paper was published in between the department and university adjudication of my application, so I asked to add it onto my app and they agreed.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

It's definitely worth notifying, but I think I know what you're getting at, and it's not likely to get you reconsidered at MIT the way Jeeves was last year. In that sense, I don't think it has the same power as the NSF.

If it helps, I know of two people who were rejected, and later admitted to top level American Universities once they had been notified that they won a SSHRC. Departments are often able to find partial funding when an applicant is coming with a large independent funding package. Good luck!

For anyone waiting for doctoral results in BC, today might be your day! I received my letter this morning.

1. Received doctoral fellowship, score 23/30 (I could only get the fellowship due to the fact that I will be entering my 3rd year).

2. Vancouver

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010): 3rd year PhD

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful: Third time applying, first time getting out of the university (likely due to my publication being on this application) -- I submitted pretty much the same proposal all three years and ALMOST didn't apply this year because I was frustrated with the previous two rejections. Over 10 conference presentations (posters and talks), one first author publication in a good journal, an undergrad NSERC, master's SSHRC, as well as other awards for research, teaching, and service work. Best advice I can give -- check with your department and grad studies offices to see if you can add onto your application once you've submitted it. My paper was published in between the department and university adjudication of my application, so I asked to add it onto my app and they agreed.

I'm in Vancouver.... no SSHRC mail today :( Got a nice fake-out with my CRA tax return envelope....

U of T's funding formula was the primary reason I decided to go elsewhere. I spoke with a number of administrators and faculty and there was no room to move. When I declined the offer I was clear that it was the primary reason they lost me to another program. Other universities have been much more accommodating. That said, I would absolutely ask and if you have another offer that does not claw back make sure they know about it. I have asked for and received, in writing statements from graduate studies and program directors that there will be no claw backs now or in the future to my funding packages.

Hi, I'm just wondering what kind of psychology you are studying - is cognitive any component of it? The reason I ask is because my interest is in cognitive development but it has a social component. I don't think I'm NSERC material, but I worry about whether SSHRC "gets" my research, given that it's not applied or "about" social processes. I've been told that my research was deemed to fit within SSHRC's mandate, but still...I worry about being at a disadvantage.

Also, I think it's pretty crazy that you didn't get passed your department the first two times you applied yet you wound up with a 23/30 this time around. Perhaps your department was a bit too strict in its forwarding criteria??

Anyway, good that you persevered! Congratulations! :)

2. Vancouver

I'm in Minnesota - no letter for me either (I already know that I didn't get the award, but I still want the letter). Actually, what I'm really waiting for is my tax refund, and I know that the refund got mailed a day after the SSHRC letter! :(

No SSHCR mail in the US today.

I wonder if it's worth calling.

Hi, I'm just wondering what kind of psychology you are studying - is cognitive any component of it? The reason I ask is because my interest is in cognitive development but it has a social component. I don't think I'm NSERC material, but I worry about whether SSHRC "gets" my research, given that it's not applied or "about" social processes. I've been told that my research was deemed to fit within SSHRC's mandate, but still...I worry about being at a disadvantage.

Also, I think it's pretty crazy that you didn't get passed your department the first two times you applied yet you wound up with a 23/30 this time around. Perhaps your department was a bit too strict in its forwarding criteria??

Anyway, good that you persevered! Congratulations! :)

Thanks! :)

I am in forensic psychology, but cognition is a big part of my research (memory and decision-making primarily). My supervisor actually has an NSERC grant. NSERC has been slowly moving away from psychology (except for neuroimaging types of research), so I would guess that SSHRC is a better bet for you. As long as you are writing your proposal using jargon-free, simple language, your research should be understandable by the SSHRC folks. If you can, try to give your application to a social psych colleague. In my experience, they often write papers that are published in "general interest" journals, so they tend to be well-practiced in writing for an audience coming from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Our department has many strong applicants each year, so it was likely my publication that tipped the scales for me in the end. I'm just happy I finally received a doctoral award from SSHRC.

Thanks for your response and advice! What you say seems very sensible to me. Hopefully I will do better next year.

Congrats again. Must feel good to finally get that recognition.

Thanks! :)

I am in forensic psychology, but cognition is a big part of my research (memory and decision-making primarily). My supervisor actually has an NSERC grant. NSERC has been slowly moving away from psychology (except for neuroimaging types of research), so I would guess that SSHRC is a better bet for you. As long as you are writing your proposal using jargon-free, simple language, your research should be understandable by the SSHRC folks. If you can, try to give your application to a social psych colleague. In my experience, they often write papers that are published in "general interest" journals, so they tend to be well-practiced in writing for an audience coming from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Our department has many strong applicants each year, so it was likely my publication that tipped the scales for me in the end. I'm just happy I finally received a doctoral award from SSHRC.