Due to some serious health issues and need for intensive treatment I may need to choose a plan B program for Fall. I'm trying to decide which Terminal Master's option would provide the best career options. I am interested in flexible work hours, research experience, and work in the medical field.

My options are: 

-Master of Science in Clinical Psychology w/ license as Psychological Associate. 

-Master of Social Work to become a LCSW or LMSW

-Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling to become Licensed Professional Counselor

While the MSW would allow me to work in the medical field, I'm not all that interested in Social Work as a career. The Clinical Psychology program would allow me to be a researcher as well as potential doctoral study. The Counseling program has the best job options.

I think the LCSW/LMSW would be a great bet. A couple work at the Medical Center I am currently at in the child and adolescent psychology/psychiatry division and not only are they fantastic, they're fully involved in both research and clinical aspects, and supervised mainly by clinical psychologists actually. I also feel like it could be a great springboard if you ever decide to reapply for grad school so a SW degree is marketable from what I've seen.

18 hours ago, Aspiring2BinSocialWork said:

I've facing the same dilemma but more so because of my age. There are many programs here in CA for Masters in Counseling, but I didn't see many job prospects. Could you enlighten on this?

In the state where I live (Texas) the LPC license has a lot of job openings, it's a fast growing area. But that probably varies by state.