Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Diss Funding

LisaRog

Got the rejection today. Ah, well. Small/lesser known schools have an uphill battle.

Gearing up for the next round of grant proposals... should be fun!

Congrats to all those who have gotten accepted and who are alternates. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after tracking down the admins at my campus who received the list earlier in the week but did not e-mail anyone yet for no specific reason, I found out I got it!!! YAY! I HAVE MONEY TO DO MY RESEARCH! I hope everyone else finds out or has found out by now.

I am incredibly lucky to have received the Fulbright-Haysand the IIE Fulbright. I still don't know the terms of the grants. Any adviceon which to take?

I had an IIE my senior year, and received a Fulbright Hays for this coming year--my advice is take Fulbright Hays. If you are going to a country supported by a bi-national commission, the money is paid half by the host country and half by the US--which means you are paid in local currency rather than in USD via your bank. This can pose a problem for grad students, it seems, since you do have to pay taxes on Fulbright (both IIE and FH) and they do not withhold--FH you can take a little each month adn put it away to pay taxes when you get back.

Also, FH is the more competitive one, so I would definitely take it. Congrats and I hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your responses duckduckgoose and 4greenbananas! Congrats to you too!! I was unaware that declining the IIE would make me ineligible to apply in the future. Wouldn't this only apply if I accepted the grant? Thanks! In any case, I certainly hope that after a year in the field, I will have sufficient data to start writing my diss.

Edited by here's hoping

Have any awardees heard anything from DoE? I've got a million & a half questions (and need to get visa issues sorted, which will require a fair amount of bureaucratic red tape - so I'm hoping to get started ASAP), but don't want to pester our coordinator if information is/has been forthcoming.

Have any awardees heard anything from DoE? I've got a million & a half questions (and need to get visa issues sorted, which will require a fair amount of bureaucratic red tape - so I'm hoping to get started ASAP), but don't want to pester our coordinator if information is/has been forthcoming.

No, I haven't heard anything specific here, either--I was told that we will receive letters and technical forms soon (or that they were mailed out a while back) directly from FH, but nothing yet has shown up..Keep us posted!

If by technical forms you mean the technical reviews, we got those last week (Thursday, actually). Our coordinator said stuff was supposed to be coming by email after they get the forms from the universities in (who has accepted principal & alternate status and so on). Hopefully soon - I didn't think I would be this anxious AFTER I got the award!!

Yes, please, keep us posted everyone. I need to get a visa as well, which will take time. Thanks!

No, I haven't heard anything specific here, either--I was told that we will receive letters and technical forms soon (or that they were mailed out a while back) directly from FH, but nothing yet has shown up..Keep us posted!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the news! Did you receive it in the mail or by email? I'm overseas right now and so snail mail would make things a little tricky.

FINALLY got some word from DoE (I haven't looked *too* closely, but it involves a "pre-award report" + submitting a lot of stuff to our grant coordinator. It's starting to feel a little more real at this point.

E-mail, both one from DoE & from our coordinator. It involves submitting a pre-grant assessment online & then having to get a lot of stuff to the coordinator (like "date of departure, airline, and flight number" - hello, I'm not booking my tickets without any official word from the DoE!).

Great, thanks, although I'm a little concerned that I did not receive a similar email.

E-mail, both one from DoE & from our coordinator. It involves submitting a pre-grant assessment online & then having to get a lot of stuff to the coordinator (like "date of departure, airline, and flight number" - hello, I'm not booking my tickets without any official word from the DoE!).

humm...I'd say, no. I found out that I had the Fulbright-Hays at least a week after others on this forum had received the news. I'll start looking into flights, in any case, so that I'll be ready once (if) I receive the news.

Is your coordinator on the ball? It all goes through them, as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't get too panicked! A lot of this really is up to your grant coordinator to get set up. And it isn't like they're not going to give you the money if you don't have a ticket booked RIGHT NOW (e.g., I'm not even advancing to candidacy until the end of August - so they can't do anything until then anyways).

Tickets are more expensive than I was expecting, too - I stupidly didn't account for the fact that the Shanghai Expo is going on & driving ticket prices up. :(

I haven't noticed any problems. What part is giving you grief?

Received the DoE "booklet" today in .doc form. I wonder if they could make this a little more vague and unhelpful - I realize the DDRA is only for PhD students at the diss. phase, as opposed to the IIE which is open to undergrads as well as grad students (so perhaps they think guidance is less necessary for PhD candidates), but you'd think the DDRA people have been doing this long enough to offer more than just general 'X may or may not be required, find out for yourself.'