Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

19 hours ago, gotmilk332 said:

I have the same problem! I thought it was just me

It seems like this thread is slightly dead (last year's thread had like 200 something pages) so I am wondering if people are just talking on Slack more. If anyone has any information that would be greatly appreciated ToT

22 hours ago, SarahsSeoulSearch said:

Hi, I just got an email from Fulbright China about applying for the Chinese Government Scholarship... WHAT DOES THIS LAST SENTENCE MEAN (I highlighted it and whatnot, not them) 

Did all the semifinalists get this email???? Does this mean anything at all or am I just looking into it too much??

This wait is seriously driving me insane. My graduation date depends on whether or not I get this award (I will graduate in the summer if I get it and next semester if I don't) so this whole process has been so nerve wracking. 

Dear China Fulbright Candidate,

~~~ CGS info blah blah blah ~~~~ 

IIE cannot guarantee that you will be offered a Fulbright award and/or a CGS tuition waiver, but it is required that all Fulbright grant candidates who are requesting an affiliation with a host institution that participates in the CGS Program submit their affiliation applications through this channel. This helps to streamline the application and visa paperwork process for all parties.

~~~~The online application must be completed and submitted by APRIL 30th, 2018. ~~~~ blah blah blah

Please note that you are currently a recommended candidate for a Fulbright award. We appreciate your cooperation and patience as we all await the final award decisions.

Best regards, 

Fulbright China

Also, can anyone provide any insight into this? It says I am recommended, is that just a restatement that I am a semifinalist or could it mean anything else...? 

I don't know that it means anything we don't know already, unfortunately.

I am on the other side of the CGS thing (the institute I am proposing to be affiliated does not participate in the CGS tuition waver) and haven't gotten any non CGS related emails with new information. I suspect it's just Fulbright China getting their ducks in a row to prepare to make affiliations official as soon as they hear back from bureaucratic decisions on that small blurb we had to send in a few days ago. Of the countries folks at my university applied to, China is the only one that hasn't reported the final picks.

That being said, good to know you're still in the running?

55 minutes ago, SarahsSeoulSearch said:

Also, can anyone provide any insight into this? It says I am recommended, is that just a restatement that I am a semifinalist or could it mean anything else...? 

I am on the other side of the CGS thing (the institute I am proposing to be affiliated does not participate in the CGS tuition waver) and haven't gotten any non CGS related emails with new information. I suspect it's just Fulbright China getting their ducks in a row to prepare to make affiliations official as soon as they hear back from bureaucratic decisions on that small blurb we had to send in a few days ago. Of the countries folks at my university applied to, China is the only one that hasn't reported the final picks.

4 hours ago, lml said:

Gah I figured as such.  I am just so anxious ToT My dean needs to know when I am graduating by like next week and I also need to figure out if I can take the Critical Language Scholarship soon so I am just very... ugh... I know you're in the same boat. It's just anxiety inducing when people keep asking what i will be doing after graduation and I don't even know when that is ><

On 4/16/2018 at 4:32 PM, gotmilk332 said:

I have the same problem! I thought it was just me

On 4/16/2018 at 1:22 PM, SarahsSeoulSearch said:

Also how do I get on the Fulbrighters slack group? I have the link but it says i need an invite from the administrator

PM an email and I can add you! I'm not able to generate a link for some reason.

23 hours ago, SarahsSeoulSearch said:

I imagine this is the official language the Chinese government is using. Everyone is considered a recommended candidates until they receive all the necessary visas and clearance to enter the country.

I just realized I have been posting from 2 separate accounts. SarahsSeoulSearch and zkewlest are the same person for the record ^^;;

Is the slack really active? Or is there another reason this thread is so dead lol (at least compared to last year)

I think I just need/want moral support, or to hear literally anything even if its from other people not in my program, just to feel like decisions are getting made and mine will come eventually!

Where did you guys apply to (and what city)? What kind of research do you want to do? 

Anyone have any idea how long principals are given to accept/decline their award? Like a week or something? I got Alternate for an ETA in Central Asia for the second year running which is kinda crushing lol. I figure though if anyone declines I'd know pretty soon if I move up (cause there are usually only a couple slots for the country I applied for)--anyone have any idea how long principals have to decide?

I'm an alternate for Spain ETA right now. From what I understand Research came out completely, but not all the ETAs were notified right away. Not sure if they know now though.

18 hours ago, Daniella1223 said:

Does anyone have info on Spain ETA decisions? Have they been released?/ Are they being released by region or by acceptances & rejection? 

22 hours ago, Daniella1223 said:

Does anyone have info on Spain ETA decisions? Have they been released?/ Are they being released by region or by acceptances & rejection? 

I'm a finalist for Spain ETA. They notified me about two weeks ago.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:08 PM, Zkewlest said:

I just realized I have been posting from 2 separate accounts. SarahsSeoulSearch and zkewlest are the same person for the record ^^;;

Is the slack really active? Or is there another reason this thread is so dead lol (at least compared to last year)

I think I just need/want moral support, or to hear literally anything even if its from other people not in my program, just to feel like decisions are getting made and mine will come eventually!

Where did you guys apply to (and what city)? What kind of research do you want to do? 

Heyo are you able to invite folks to the slack chat? If so, would you be willing to send me an invite? (also I'm going insane waiting for the China results!)

On 4/21/2018 at 2:37 AM, Daniella1223 said:

Still waiting for my notification along with a handful of other people. We have no clue what's going on, just that this apparently happened last year as well and notifications for that group came out in mid-May. Extremely frustrating!