Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

44 minutes ago, Vlv12014 said:

Do you know when we will be hearing back from IIE with grant specifics?

Not sure. The email specifies "You will receive additional information on your award shortly from the Institute of International Education (IIE) Advising Team." I emailed my school's Fulbright advisor to see what she says, but hopefully by "shortly" they really do mean that and not another months-long wait.. ?

Finalist for Romania ETA!!!

(My email came at ~4:50, and it went to my secondary email, which seems to be the trend. So watch out for your secondary emails!)

Hi all, I got a Fulbright grant for this year, but am having some apprehension regarding the medical forms. Seven years ago, I was medicated for depression and attended CBT once a week. In the spring of 2012 (so six years ago), I successfully ended CBT and medication and haven't been depressed since. Will this adversely affect my candidacy? 

Anyone with any knowledge/insights (especially from current/former Fulbrighters) would be most welcome.

1 hour ago, fulbrighthrowaway said:

Hi all, I got a Fulbright grant for this year, but am having some apprehension regarding the medical forms. Seven years ago, I was medicated for depression and attended CBT once a week. In the spring of 2012 (so six years ago), I successfully ended CBT and medication and haven't been depressed since. Will this adversely affect my candidacy? 

Anyone with any knowledge/insights (especially from current/former Fulbrighters) would be most welcome.

I obviously don't know the official answer to this, but my on campus fulbright contact told me that the medical forms were primarily just to assess that you were physically capable of doing the work / grant. It would be terribly inappropriate if anyone were to disqualify a candidate because of something like that in their medical history. Also, it was quite a long time ago at this point, so I would imagine you're fine.

Edited by cotterw

6 hours ago, fulbrighthrowaway said:

I would recommend searching the fulbright reddit page in regard to the medical forms. I recall a few people commenting on medical issues, including mental health related conditions, that had been treated or were currently being treated and didn't have any problems being accepted. As long as your physician recommends you and reports that you're currently in a stable condition (either with or without medication or treatment) you should be good.

Edited by savay

15 hours ago, fulbrighthrowaway said:

Hi! I'm a current fulbright grantee, just popping in to say that mental and/or physical conditions, especially past ones, definitely won't disqualify you unless there's a serious concern about you currently needing (expensive) medical assistance while abroad--I have a moderately severe physical disability myself, and in my case my acceptance on a medical basis was declared 'conditional' on the grounds that I would not need more extensive assistive technology while in the UK. But several other people in my cohort have various physical and/or mental conditions as well, and none of us had any problems with our candidacy being confirmed.

On 3/28/2018 at 5:02 PM, FaultyPowers said:

Just got notified that I've received a research award for Romania!

Congratulations!!!

I visited Romania in October for a conference and met a couple of Fulbrighters, if you're interested in hearing from them, we can figure out some way to connect.

7 hours ago, elit said:

Congratulations!!!

I visited Romania in October for a conference and met a couple of Fulbrighters, if you're interested in hearing from them, we can figure out some way to connect.

YES, I would love to. Can I perhaps message you with my email etc.? 

Hello! Semifinalist for the Anne Wexler Award in Australia. Glad to have found a group of people just as anxious as I am to hear news. Does anyone know when Anne Wexler decisions have gone out in the past? The date sections are blank for last year's Anne Wexler applicant.

4 hours ago, TheMightyQuinn said:

Hello! Semifinalist for the Anne Wexler Award in Australia. Glad to have found a group of people just as anxious as I am to hear news. Does anyone know when Anne Wexler decisions have gone out in the past? The date sections are blank for last year's Anne Wexler applicant.

Hey! I have no idea, but am glad to see a fellow potential Australian Fulbrighter! Congratulations on being a semifinalist. I am a semifinalist for the open study/research award myself. What university/city would you be affiliated with?

5 hours ago, Loujoelou said:

Hey! I have no idea, but am glad to see a fellow potential Australian Fulbrighter! Congratulations on being a semifinalist. I am a semifinalist for the open study/research award myself. What university/city would you be affiliated with?

Glad to meet another Australian semifinalist! I'd be affiliating with the University of Melbourne. What about you?

On 3/29/2018 at 1:35 PM, fulbrighthrowaway said:

Hi,

Current fulbrighter with a condition very similar to your own and was in treatment when I filled out the medical form. It will in no way affect your candidacy. Because I was in CBT at the time of filling out the medical form, I submitted a letter from my therapist confirming that my condition in no way affected my ability to conduct research and live on my own for nine months. But since you haven't been in treatment for six years, I'm guessing you will not have to do this. Hope this helps!

I just referred to my old application for part of an essay and accidentally opened a new application for 2019-2020 ... and Fulbright sent me an email with the headline "Fulbright Application...". Nearly had a heart attack. >< >< >< It was just an automatic notification about the new application I had just submitted.

China always notifies people really late in the year... Usually late April or early May, with the earliest notification date being April 6th last year, but I don't expect them to have them out so quickly this year. I can't deal with this gut wrenching feeling every time I hear a pop in my inbox for another month!!! Any other China hopefuls out there? Some commiseration would be much appreciated.