The Blizzard on the East Coast is unforunately giving me more time to "wait it out"

mbs191

Hey Everyone....just wondering if anyone else is stuck at home and now has a TON of extra more time to procrastinate / and worry more about not hearing anything from their schools yet? At least the white-out conditions are a distraction from constantly checking Gradcafe and websites haha.

This snow storm is killing me. Luckily, it's not as bad where I am, so we had school yesterday, but it's closed today and it was closed on Monday. At least I have a take home test due tomorrow, so that I have something to do other than waiting to hear back. I've had enough snow for awhile now, thank you.

Gah! Yes. I've been "working from home" since last Friday which only means more time to obsess, and have been shut in by 2.5-going-on-3.5 feet of snow since then which only means more time to feel delirious with cabin fever. And as schools from VA to Jersey have been shut for days, it means that admissions committees have not had time to meet...boo! This might read as somewhat shrill, but that's only because I feel that I'm going a bit gonzo. We in this area are not physically or mentally equipped to deal with this kind of weather!

P.S. I hear there was a 3.8 earthquake in western Chicago yesterday. Perhaps it is the Apocalypse after all!

Ohhh yeah. Pretty much all my schools have been/will be impacted in some way. I'm trying to decide, is it easier that I'm also in the middle of Snowmegeddon/Snoverkill, or not? At least being in the middle of it, I see firsthand why the schools will be delayed in responding. On the other hand, I too have been stuck at home since Friday, twiddling my thumbs and starting to crawl the walls a bit. :blink:

The current blizzard(s) has(ve) been affecting the Mid-Atlantic, so as far a I know New England schools aren't closed. My sibling in Boston said thy there has been a bit of snow but nothing significant or unusual. The weather from DCish to NYCish (especially DC) has, however, been extremely significant and out of the ordinary, which is why so many schools are closed. But it's not the entire East Coast.

Well I am 3000 miles away in sunny rainy California watching the ongoing snowtastrophe and wondering if my NYC schools are somehow affected. Probably not. As a former DC area resident, I always found winter storms fun and the responses amusing. I remember the Double Whammy storms of 1987 that led to fascinating episodes of grocery store hoarding and kept me out of school for seven school days. I kinda miss the snowfall, but I imagine 55 inches probably is a bit much.

As a former DC area resident, I always found winter storms fun and the responses amusing. I remember the Double Whammy storms of 1987 that led to fascinating episodes of grocery store hoarding and kept me out of school for seven school days. I kinda miss the snowfall, but I imagine 55 inches probably is a bit much.

The grocery store hoarding phenomenon is alive and well :) The store shelves are almost completely empty of food, which is a bit eerie. My husband and I have been making the standard jokes about who will get eaten first in our household. My favorite, though, is the article that popped up in the Washington Post - at a Safeway in DC, the employees just left in the middle of the storm, leaving the lights on and doors open. Some shoppers ventured in, picked up a few items, and left cash on the conveyor belt.