PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Anyone hear from UMN PolSci Dept if recommendations have been submitted to the grad school? (because the grad school allegedly does the notifying 1 week after recommendations are submitted from dept) Or is the painful silence mean that the forecast is slightly cloudy with a chance of doom?

As far as I can the dept hasn't made its decisions yet. Or, maybe they have, but I haven't heard anything yet...

I'm in a similar situation here. Also, the fact that I can't even tell my fiance and famiily where we're (or I'm) going to live after we're married is driving everyone NUTS!

Haha. I hear that. My girlfriend and I both applied to as many schools as we could reasonably justify, in an effort to go to school either at the same place, or at least within a couple of hours. We ALREADY both have acceptances a mere 11 hours apart, so things are looking up! Hmm, wait, there is something wrong with this picture. She had a great audition only about 1.5 hours from my other acceptance; here is to hoping!

The worst part is that, of course, you WANT to be able to tell them exactly where you are going. And I bet, if they are anything like my friends and my girlfriend's family (my parents were both professors, so obviously they know how it goes), they just CANNOT UNDERSTAND why you cannot tell them anything more than "well, uhh, I still have not heard back from [this school]."

"No Thanks" from 110 North Hall as well. Damn Madison looked like a great place to spend 6 years. At least I won't have to watch lousy Big 10 Football for 6 years.

Madison is 50% State Street, and 50% watching Badgers football. So close to awesome, yet so far.

How does Duke compare to the north-eastern ives? to Stanford? to U of Michigan? to U of Chicago?

!!#$!#$ FOREIGNERS TAKING OUR ACADEMIC JOBS !!!#*&$

The best way I can describe it is that Duke is one of some generally small number of schools in the country that the average person not from that part of the country has likely heard about, so from that standard alone it does very well. It does have a pretty good academic reputation even beyond that, though, and I would say you are definitely in good shape.

Also, regarding Peter's list, I am always excited at just how few of the "big names" in the field actually had programs that even appealed to me. Apparently only the small fries are into my kind of research!

I imagine choosing a program is full of intangibles, like the proximity of the campus to an In-N-Out Burger or the propensity of the faculty to use and/or appreciate Lebowski quotes. It'd be funny if we chose programs as randomly as adcoms chose admits.

In the application database my girlfriend and I created, we have fields for the distance to the closest Steak 'n' Shake, IHOP, Denny's, and Perkins'. While these factors may not, in and of themselves, have much bearing, I would be more than happy if we ended up choosing between two universities based on whether we could get a nice bowl of Steak 'n' Shake chili while studying at 3 A.M.

And good job, Ammar! Let Barbizan down easy :(

sorry if this post appears twice...im not sure why i can't see the first one. anyways, has anyone heard any info about when columbia might be sending admissions decisions? i have looked at a bunch of different forums and the dates for when people heard last year range anywhere from as early as feb 22nd to as late as the end of march. does anyone have any more concrete info? has anyone called the admissions office recently to find out?

Anyone hear from UMN PolSci Dept if recommendations have been submitted to the grad school? (because the grad school allegedly does the notifying 1 week after recommendations are submitted from dept) Or is the painful silence mean that the forecast is slightly cloudy with a chance of doom?

Just followed up with Grad School. They checked my application (which was terrifying) and said that it appears applications are still with the department. The man with whom I spoke said that the email will provide us our pin and password (assume it is the same as our application pin and pass) when we can log in to see the results.

I am putting all my hopes, wishes, dreams, rainbows and cupcakes into this school. It is my ticket to escape life in Washington, DC.

I am putting all my hopes, wishes, dreams, rainbows and cupcakes into this school. It is my ticket to escape life in Washington, DC.

haha. best of luck to you! one of my schools is getting all my rainbows and cupcakes as well. i won't even say which one for fear of jinxing it. so i know how you feel :)

anyone contact chicago yet? just curious - the grad school sends out all official info in early march for everyone, but it seems that admitted students find out via email in late february. same w/ columbia...anyone talk to the department to get an idea of when we might be hearing? they, like chicago, seem to email admitted students in late february.

I emailed them asking this very question and they said decisions would be emailed out by the end of this week. For what it's worth...

Hopefully we'll hear from them tomorrow. I saw an acceptance post (via email) and it's making me super nervous (stomach knotting and all) :roll: Congrats to the poster that got in!! :D

Hm... I saw lots of admissions/rejections from Duke, but I have received neither. Whats the deal here? Are they hedging their bets and am I effectively wait listed or are they just sending the rejections out in waves?

I spoke to a friend about this who applied to Duke last year. He said in 2007 they did admissions and rejections in what appeared to be waves. So you might still be admitted in the next 2-3 weeks.

But my own feeling is, probably 3/4 of the admits at least are already contacted. For one thing, the contact email includes information on the visiting weekend April 1st.

So, there is no other way to put it: the long you wait, the lower your chances. Consider that you have an outside shot, maybe, until the beginning of March. If I were you I would contact them March 1st and cease waiting.

Hm... I saw lots of admissions/rejections from Duke, but I have received neither. Whats the deal here? Are they hedging their bets and am I effectively wait listed or are they just sending the rejections out in waves?

It really is distressing when you see bucketloads of acceptances and rejections for a school posted here, and then weeks go by and you still have not heard anything yourself. I am looking at you, UIUC.

That said, CanadianPolSci is probably right, that if they start accepting people and you still have not heard back either way, you are likely waitlisted, or at least not at the top of their snap-them-up-now list. But there is still no reason to give up hope, since they are likely still seriously considering your application. Or at least we like to tell ourselves these things.

Columbia will notify accepted students next week. Good luck everyone.

Did you hear this from someone in admissions or is this just speculation?

(I don't mean to be annoying....im just so anxious.....so far all I've gotten is one rejection from Yale!!)

This post will provide no usefull information to anyone, but is purely my way to vent how stressed I am. I have received 4 rejections thus far, still no acceptances, and am definitely discouraged. I am really hoping UW-Seattle will be my saving grace. If I am admitted to any of the other remaining schools where I still have applications pending I will consider it a miracle. It's funny, I was so confident only one month ago, now I'm a total stress case and am definitely working on contingency plans (MAPSS - PLEASE!!!)

This post will provide no usefull information to anyone, but is purely my way to vent how stressed I am. I have received 4 rejections thus far, still no acceptances, and am definitely discouraged. I am really hoping UW-Seattle will be my saving grace. If I am admitted to any of the other remaining schools where I still have applications pending I will consider it a miracle. It's funny, I was so confident only one month ago, now I'm a total stress case and am definitely working on contingency plans (MAPSS - PLEASE!!!)

i totally feel your pain. hang in there! hopefully we will both be somewhere next year... maybe classmates at MAPSS haha.

i totally feel your pain. hang in there! hopefully we will both be somewhere next year... maybe classmates at MAPSS haha.

I think a lot of us feel in the same boat....it's so frustrating that this process is so opaque and schools can't give you a straight answer about when they will get back to you. It's even more frustrating that every school has a different admissions timeline, so many people are stuck with rejections and are keeping their fingers crossed for just one acceptance (that would be me!!!)