PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

Heard good news from UW-Seattle today---so thrilled--helped me recover from a hard-to-take rejection yesterday.

The email was relatively personalized, which makes me believe they're going to be sending them out on a rolling basis (it was from a member on the Admissions committee who was interested personally in the research project) so if you haven't heard yet, I wouldn't worry. I think it may take a few days to get these out if they're personalized....

Good luck to all!

Congratulations! I admit I am totally jealous, but also very happy for you. Also, thanks for providing some specifics, it helps keep me from totally abandoning hope.

Heard good news from UW-Seattle today---so thrilled--helped me recover from a hard-to-take rejection yesterday.

The email was relatively personalized, which makes me believe they're going to be sending them out on a rolling basis (it was from a member on the Admissions committee who was interested personally in the research project) so if you haven't heard yet, I wouldn't worry. I think it may take a few days to get these out if they're personalized....

Good luck to all!

Congratulations! :D

This post will provide no usefull information to anyone, but is purely my way to vent how stressed I am. I have received 4 rejections thus far, still no acceptances, and am definitely discouraged. I am really hoping UW-Seattle will be my saving grace. If I am admitted to any of the other remaining schools where I still have applications pending I will consider it a miracle. It's funny, I was so confident only one month ago, now I'm a total stress case and am definitely working on contingency plans (MAPSS - PLEASE!!!)

Hello, so-confident-only-one-month-ago buddy. I only have three rejections so far, but I trust I will catch up with you soon. It really is telling how thrilled I am about my two consolation M.A. acceptances, even though I thought that was going to be the worst case scenario at one point. Little did I think about how the real worst-case-scenario is 100% rejection.

Anyone know if I should put any stock in the one letter saying "we admit to the M.A. program first before going on to the Ph.D. program?" I could read that either way, that they like what they see but want to be sure I can hack it first, or that they just think I am dumb enough to not know the order of degrees.

Pretty sweet this deal. I get to pay cash money to be anxious and dejected. Not too mention that I cannot even work on my MA thesis while this is going on. Just one, that's all, just one.

I am totally thrilled about how I got to pay all this money for these nice gold-plated rejection letters! High five!

And yeah, seriously, I cannot imagine what would have happened if I had tried to do my thesis at the same time as doing this. These applications may have actually taken more time overall than my thesis. It was certainly close. I would definitely have not graduated that semester.

i just need it, man. i really need it right now.

Hahahaha.

Who wants to be brave enough to call and ask about decisions status at Chicago and/or Texas? Any takers?

The best person for the job is someone who did not even apply there. No stress!

It was only a short while ago when I asked that WashU be my saving grace. Unfortunately it was the slap across the face. I just received a rejection from them, which leaves me waiting on Princeton, MIT, UCSD, Michigan, and Chicago. Hmm, it really will take a miracle now. I think I must have gone about this all wrong. I know my numbers are good enough, but I guess the SOP and writing sample weren't what they were looking for.

All I can say is, I'm very very sad...

adaptations said:
It was only a short while ago when I asked that WashU be my saving grace. Unfortunately it was the slap across the face. I just received a rejection from them, which leaves me waiting on Princeton, MIT, UCSD, Michigan, and Chicago. Hmm, it really will take a miracle now. I think I must have gone about this all wrong. I know my numbers are good enough, but I guess the SOP and writing sample weren't what they were looking for.

I'm sorry, that sucks. But, this board is filled with stories of people who were rejected from their safety and accepted at their top choice. You may not be what WashU is looking for, but you could be what the other schools are looking for. If your numbers are there and your recommendations are good, I'm sure you'll be competitive at all of those schools. And it's like my girlfriend said to me after I freaked out about my first rejection, if the worst thing that ever happens to you is not getting into graduate school, you're a very lucky person.

By the way, funny story about the writing sample. I was out of the country and had my family send out my apps once transcripts got to my house. I sent them a file which I thought was the writing sample I wanted to use, but it was a similarly named 7 page paper that was terribly written and didn't require much citation or any formality in the citations (it was a closed universe paper using just the materials assigned in class). So now I'm pretty sure there is no way I'll get accepted at the 3 universities I'm waiting on that required or requested that we submit writing samples. Oh well.

Of course, it is also possible that you are overqualified for your safety and they, having read the other schools you are applying to (don't they have a section where you fill out where else you have applied?), decided not to waste a slot. Or that, as other posters have said, you were just not a good fit. Keep faith!

I applied to WashU and was rejected. The letter said that I didn't match well with their scholars and I kind of knew that when I applied. Probably I just ignored that idea in my head because I liked the school so much. That said, it's going to be interesting to find out where I stand.

adaptations said:
It was only a short while ago when I asked that WashU be my saving grace. Unfortunately it was the slap across the face. I just received a rejection from them, which leaves me waiting on Princeton, MIT, UCSD, Michigan, and Chicago. Hmm, it really will take a miracle now. I think I must have gone about this all wrong. I know my numbers are good enough, but I guess the SOP and writing sample weren't what they were looking for.

The admissions process is a crap-shoot...really. I, too, was rejected to WashU, though I'd tailored my last couple years to that school specifically. The schools I have been admitted to were not seriously on the radar screen before (and I personally don't see as great a fit in the bulk of them). It's ridiculous.

And for what its worth, this is the second time I've been through the PHD application cycle. The first time yielded no PhD acceptances. But I feel like I learned a lot about what to change in my apps for the second go-round. It is a game. Once this whole process is done I'll sit down and type out some of those things.

But the point is, I'm the same person now as I was then. I'm just as capable now as I was then. And yet, given a few tweaks and a new application strategy, NOW schools accept me that didn't before. And so I see the process as completely laughable, actually. I'd bet you'll have great options at the end of this journey, but I think it's helpful to sit back occasionally and see this process for the severely flawed and falsely idolized process that it is. Admissions decisions are not the result of someone looking into the omniscient crystal ball of all our abilities, intellect, or potential. Really. Frankly, I really don't think we should see acceptances in this process as an affirmation of our true abilities as researchers or academics--and "rejection," similarly, should not be seen as an indicator of a lack of ability, talent, or potential.

Now that I've collected myself somewhat, I can write this.

First of all, congrats to Peter, WashU is a great school. I know I would have loved to go. It's funny how schools that have already rejected me are actually the ones I spent most time tailoring my SOP to. I had to think hard to remember what I wrote for my waitlist and admission (which is my safety). I came home from a long day to find my WashU rejection letter waiting for me in my inbox and it almost snuffed the life out of me, but just briefly. I suppose it was one of those schools (irresponsibly quoting other posters on this board) that was all "rainbows and cupcakes" for me. With the hope of dancing on the rainbows and (at the same time) devouring numerous cupcakes taken away from me, I feel a little barren.

However, I will be alright. The road through academia is long and winding and I'm just getting started. I will have other chances, other opportunities, and it doesn't all have to boil down to getting in a certain school or not. Finally, I can rest easy for now...and good luck to all, it's not over until the fat lady sings!

So I spoke to the Duke people and they said the decisions had been made and that rejections will go out soon. So I guess for those who have not heard anything yet that does not give much hope. A real pity, the program would have been a great fit ( in my mind at any rate, they obviously did not think so.)

I think it's helpful to sit back occasionally and see this process for the severely flawed and falsely idolized process that it is. Admissions decisions are not the result of someone looking into the omniscient crystal ball of all our abilities, intellect, or potential. Really. Frankly, I really don't think we should see acceptances in this process as an affirmation of our true abilities as researchers or academics--and "rejection," similarly, should not be seen as an indicator of a lack of ability, talent, or potential.

Thank you- you are so right. I am going through a crisis of faith about my intelligence and potential and whether or not I am really cut out to be a professor... when really, I know there's just a strong random element in this process. If you think about it, if there are 200-500 people applying to the same program for 10-12 spots, even if you are one of the most highly qualified people it comes down to a random final factor that is the difference between getting in and not... So, I would definitely be interested to hear your thoughts on what you changed for the second time around, should that become necessary for me...

I write to you in a more settled state than last night.

First, thank you for all the responses, words of encouragment, and most importantly, the reality checks. I know this process is a crazy one and admissions decicions are unfortunately rather opaque, which means we will probably never know why a specific decision was made.

I guess there isn't much to do, other than fasten our seatbelts for the emotional rollercoaster that we paid to ride. Get an extra shot of tequila at the end of the work-day, after all, it is Friday. And if you're like me, by a plane ticket to Mexico for when this is all over. It will either be a celebratory vacation, or a perfect way to relax and put life in perspective.

acceptances via email?

i think they were sent out by email, but i have also seen some posts from last year where acceptances were sent via postal mail, so who knows. as usual, we are kept completely in the dark. i cant wait for this day to be over so i can go home, make some tea, and watch the snow fall.

yup! today looks like the day.

from what posts by supposed students in the program right now have suggested, columbia is still finalizing decisions this week and will contact accepted folks next week. it might be the epitome of randomness...700 applicants, 50-60 of which get accepted. while i bet most of the applicants aren't really qualified, but applied because columbia is their dream school, i suspect about 100 applicants are absolutely stellar and would unquestionably get in if not for the limited number of spots.