PoliSci 2007-2008 Cycle

farty14

iulixa said:
Email from Washington University in St. Louis, full funding! :D

And I think I'm out of the race for Ann Arbor and Maryland, since I didn't get anything yet..

That is crazy exciting! WashU has a great program and St. Louis is a wonderful city to live in. If they had had any security/IR faculty their that would have been my first choice school...

Congrats to all the WashU admits.

I haven't heard anything yet which likely is a bad sign, but I wondered if you were international or domestic students? I noticed on the results page that one person heard from snail mail and others from email---just wondering about the disconnect.

If it was an email, may I ask who it was from??

Thanks!

Today has been the worst day for me so far in terms of wanting to hear something, anything, from any of the remaining schools I applied to. I especially want to know about UMich, I know that there have been some acceptances posted today, but so far I see no rejections. I would kill to go there, please someone at UMICH, send me a dang email already!

Hope the info helps: I'm a domestic student, and was accepted by WUSTL via email. The email came from Heather Sloan-Randick with a message from Matthew Gabel.

Also, I received my acceptance from Virginia days after others, so you can't necessarily determine anything based on timing...

Congrats on Washington University in St. Louis! Great school, and great area to live. The Loop in U-City, within walking distance from WashU campus, is by far the coolest spot to hang out in St. Louis. Great bars, restaurants, record/book stores.

I'm from that city originally, and I still love it there. If WUSTL concentrated at all in my sub-discipline, I would've loved to go there.

So my entire point here is simply to those of you who didn't major in "Political Science" it really bears no relation to your preparedness or what admissions committees will think about you. If you were a math major and now want to apply to Stanford's Political Science department to study methods and formal modeling you're probably going to be more of what they want than the applicant who earned their B.A. in Politics and wrote a thesis on campaigns and elections at Harvard... At this high level specialization is the name of the game.

Just my 2Cents...

Anyone else just itching to get some decisions? I've had none yet and anticipate the majority will be coming in late March. Sucks waiting when you have mentally moved on from your job and ready to figure out where you will be laying roots.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. And also helped me realize that the lack of avatars is just a coincidence, not a forum requirement. You might also want to look into writing Political Science Ph.D. Application-based short stories, if the kinds of entertainment gleaned from your average post is any indication.

Political Science really is an enormous field. Surely I was not the only person who, when constantly poring over endless lists of faculty at various schools, kept thinking "how is it that some areas of this discipline are astoundingly uninteresting to me, yet this is unequivocally the field where I find myself at home?"

I applied to more schools than seemingly anyone else, and even I have still only heard back from three places so far (one rejection, two M.A. offers). So I am definitely with you in the "hurry up already" department. Of course, the mail has not arrived yet today, so that might well produce something.

Also, for the record, one of my main goals in life is bridging the gap between the inaccessible intellectual and the rest of the world. After a lifetime of hearing things like "you're the only one of your friends who never belittles me for not knowing something" and "wow, the way you explained it really makes sense," I started to think I might be on to something. Likely I will just be run out of town on a rail if I attempt to go through with this plan, though.

Hey Ammar, I am in a very similar situation to you- except your GRE Q score is higher than mine, and I did take 1 semester of calc in college (got a B). I am really concerned about this hurting my app now that I haven't had any good news. Right now I am praying for just one school to let me in. Aggh. I'm not opposed to blending quant and qual at all, I just have no background in quant. I guess I reached too high in my choice of schools... should have applied to some safeties. Eek!

Hey, no worries! Some of us never even made it to calculus! Besides beginning Java programming, a Philosophy class on Logic, and a basic statistics class, I never had a single math class after my junior year of high school. And it has not hurt me at all! ... Oh, wait, it probably has. At least I did well enough on the GRE Quantitative (~700) that anyone looking at my scores should at least realize I have the potential, even if I have not proven it, to learn more advanced material.

My primary research interests were Asian regional security (focusing on China and North korea, lots of security posture and nonproliferation policy stuff) and the use of Intelligence in the formation of National Security Policy.

UIUC has a very strong security program, the majority of their IR faculty conduct research in the field, even the political economists have a security bent. The Chair wrote me and said that he was very impressed with my research background related to arms control and nonproliferation issues, and he suggested that I might be a good fit in their ACDIS program (Arms Control, Disarmament & International Security).

That sounds fascinating, and I cannot wait until your work is used as the basis for all U.S. foreign military policy in that region.

Yeah, their faculty roster really impressed me in the security area, which was why I applied there despite vowing to myself to never go to school in Illinois again. I seem to recall someone I was very interested in working with at the University of Michigan moving to UIUC over last summer, ultimately resulting in me scuttling my application to Michigan entirely and accepting that Illinois seemed a good fit.

This post is enormous.

I completely agree that MissingVandyCandy is a great writer.

As for math, I haven't taken a math course in over 10 years and never made it to Calc. Through some sort of Zoolander style trick of pulling my underwear off without removing my pants, I got an 800 Q. I'm sure the lack of math instruction hurt me with some schools, but I don't think it did with all.

Through some sort of Zoolander style trick of pulling my underwear off without removing my pants, I got an 800 Q.

:lol:

hilariously put. and AWESOME for you. :)

i took the GRE five years ago... i probably should have re-taken them but i got married last fall so my life was kind of consumed by that for a while :) interestingly enough all of my percentiles went up- verbal by 3 percentage points, math by 1, and writing by 4. so that worked in my favor! hehe.

i probably should have re-taken them but i got married last fall so my life was kind of consumed by that for a while

Can I just say that I feel you on that!!! Oh my... I'm getting married in 3 months, and the combination of planning that and waiting on school decisions has been absolutely DESTROYING my mental state!!!

I also enjoyed the prior Zoolander reference too, btw. :)

UW-Madison rejected me via mail. This came as no big surprise to me since there is only one professor working on Latin American politics and she is overwhelmed with students. The department has taken big hits with at least three faculty going elsewhere as post-doctroal fellows. The problem is that my advisor notified me of this once I applied, dammit!!!

Congrats to those accpeted, Wisconsin is a top notch university and an awsome place to live in.

Reynaldo

Can I just say that I feel you on that!!! Oh my... I'm getting married in 3 months, and the combination of planning that and waiting on school decisions has been absolutely DESTROYING my mental state!!!

I also enjoyed the prior Zoolander reference too, btw. :)

I'm in a similar situation here. Also, the fact that I can't even tell my fiance and famiily where we're (or I'm) going to live after we're married is driving everyone NUTS!

I was accepted by Duke. I think it's a very strong program and I'm excited to get in. I'm curious though, as a Canadian, what Americans think of Duke compared to the very top tier of schools (both in general, and regards political science specifically and political theory especially [my area]).

How does Duke compare to the north-eastern ives? to Stanford? to U of Michigan? to U of Chicago?

Thanks Americans.

I was accepted by Duke. I think it's a very strong program and I'm excited to get in. I'm curious though, as a Canadian, what Americans think of Duke compared to the very top tier of schools (both in general, and regards political science specifically and political theory especially [my area]).

How does Duke compare to the north-eastern ives? to Stanford? to U of Michigan? to U of Chicago?

Thanks Americans.

I think this depends on the program. But, Duke is great. What is your subfield? I'm assuming from your moniker that it's not American Politics.